1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

House Wiring Problems

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by ArcticWhite, Sep 20, 2020.

1. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

Nah, I live in Oregon.
    My neighborhood smells like kush all Spring. No one has to hide it.
    The koi pond is substantial, and the pump is audible from my backyard.

2. ArcticWhite

Gaaaaaaahhhh!

Last week it totally went away. By itself. No chattering squirrels in the mysterious power outlets.

And the power company sent a guy out, and I had nothing to show him.

Tonight - it's back again! All amps chattering.

Someone know an exorcist?

3. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

My first thought when I listened to the recording. You have something that wasn't there before, something like a wireless adapter, something that transmits a signal, and it doesn't sound like random EFI like a microwave or flourescent lights, it sounds (for lack of a better word) organized and programmed......like a new modem might be.

I had something similar in my recordings once. It wasn't in the amp or the guitar speaker, but it was in the recorded track. It was cyclical, come and go and almost predictable. I was stumped for a couple of days. Then I moved all the extra wires off my desk and it stopped. So I gradually put back one cable at a time. When I put the little wireless antenna back on top of the interface the sound returned. It was (my best guess) my computer's built in wireless adapter polling the airwaves for the ssid from the router. So I hung the antenna from a small hook on the ceiling and no more noise.

My first thought was your noise sounds exactly like what I would expect from "digital chatter."

ArcticWhite and sds1 like this.
  4. ArcticWhite

That's a good take, but as I said a few pages back, I've turned off every breaker in the house but one, and the only thing plugged in to that one is an amp. The modem is off. Everything thing is off.

This interference is coming through the power lines, from outside of my house.

I'm going to have the power company guy come back out again.

soundchaser59 and sds1 like this.
  5. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

Good detective work, I hope the power company guy gets the final answer! Let us know!

6. BobSmith

BobSmith Tele-Meister

Did this happen?

You could also plug the, into a battery backup DC to AC inverter if you have that. If it’s a good inverter you should get very clean AC.

A scope would be darn handy too if you can get your hands on that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.