1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

House Wiring Problems

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by ArcticWhite, Sep 20, 2020.

1. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Are all the outlets grounded? I know on some older homes only the kitchen are grounded. Pick up one of those tester Post #6 they will tell if everything is wired correctly.

2. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

I have an outlet tester.
    As I explained above, I have turned off every breaker in the house except for the dedicated and grounded garage circuit.
    It doesn't matter if there are ungrounded circuits when they are switched off.

SacDAve likes this.
  3. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm guessing the kitchen is grounding turn off all the breakers except the kitchen and try the amps in the kitchen ( just try the amps in the kitchen without messing with the breakers) . Do your amps have a ground switch? there's a reason old amps had one. I still think if you take your amps to someone else's houses and try them it will determine amps or house wiring myself what are the odds of all amps being bad not likely

4. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Afflicted

I'd just go the simple route and build a Faraday cage around the studio.

StevesBoogie and ArcticWhite like this.
  5. andrewRneumann

andrewRneumann Tele-Holic

Try an amp inside your car. Maybe there's enough metal to isolate it. :)

ArcticWhite likes this.
  6. ArcticWhite

Wait. You think I keep a car in my garage? :)

7. andrewRneumann

Ha! I knew it was a fool assumption. Maybe same to assume you even have a car. If you spent all your money on shipping charges and can no longer afford a vehicle, I understand.

8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmm! Smart Meter? That just may be the issue.

I fought it tooth and nail when the local power company said they were replacing it, but faaaaaaaack I caved. I hate myself.

But I have yet to experience any noise issues from it.

ArcticWhite likes this.
  9. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Has it been unusually wet in your area recently? You might want to have the grounding rod and wire going to your main checked. I had a similar issue years ago with a corroded/broken ground strap coming from the grounding rod to the house main.

10. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Since the house was built in 1952 according to the OP, it's possible the ground is to the house plumbing supply or something else that's not up to current standards. Normally the neutral on the service drop will pick up the slack to some degree, but if it is compromised you could lose effective grounding. I had to drive a ground rod and have the service cable replaced about 20 years ago because of this. My house is 1951 vintage. The neutral had lost strands over the years and the ground was to the main water supply. The connectors could also corrode internally which can impede the ground.
    Take a look at your service drop to see if the un-insulated wire looks in decent condition and see where your service ground wire goes.

ArcticWhite and andrewRneumann like this.
  11. andrewRneumann

I too have strange noises that come into ALL my amps at home with no guitar connected. I have wondered about the theory behind this. If it was coming in from the mains, why isn’t the power supply able to filter all that junk out?

Tom Kamphuys likes this.
  12. Peegoo

An amp's power supply is designed to filter out the noise from the AC ripple (50/60-cycle "hum") and prevent it from leaking into the DC side of the circuit.

Noise originating from other sources can get past that filtering. Sometimes it bypasses the power stage completely and is picked up through the air by the amp's preamp (gain) stages, which can act like an antenna.

13. ArcticWhite

Service ground goes into a steel conduit, and then off to parts unknown. Can't tell without ripping out my basement ceiling.
    I assume it goes to a rebar in my concrete foundation, and then out the bottom into the dirt.

14. ArcticWhite

I do have a smart meter.
    I called the power company and filed a report today.
    They might be able to do something.

Will one of these do anything?

Power conditioner.

String Tree likes this.
  15. andrewRneumann

I’ve got a 100SF dungeon in my basement I’ve been considering turning into an amp blast room. Do you think if I installed that silver backed hard foam insulation everywhere I could actually get a pretty good Faraday cage?

16. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There is something known as Neutral Harmonic Feedback.
    AC has a Hot Line and a Neutral that Alternate back and forth at 60 Times a second.

The Load on the Neutral can, in some cases, be perfectly safe but,Q in Some cases, cause Noise in Audio Circuits.

The bad news is, it could be caused by somebody down the street.

Hope you get it figured out.
    It must be driving you crazy.

ArcticWhite likes this.
  17. Peegoo

It might--but only if the noise is present as parasitic anti-phase interference. Meaning--the Furman is a simple power strip with overload protection (circuit breaker) and common-mode noise rejection that works similarly to how an XLR cable works to reject induced noise in a mic-level signal chain. If the noise you're getting is caused by voltage or current fluctuation, the Furman will have no effect.

A true power conditioner regulates voltage and current, and usually has noise filtering as well. Furman has for years called their power strips and rack-mount power outlets "conditioners," and that really is a lie. Electrically they are no different from most power strips you can buy at the local Ace Hardware.

When the power company shows up, explain to them this is a new problem; that may help them associate any changes they have made to being a possible cause. They should test the power quality to see if you have anything weird going on in your AC supply.

SacDAve, sds1 and ArcticWhite like this.
  18. Peegoo

A few other things to try:

Turn off your mobile phone.

Remove your watch and put it on the other side of the room.

Note: Do NOT turn off your pacemaker (if you have one installed) o_O

awasson, sds1 and ArcticWhite like this.
  19. ArcticWhite

Watch is Swiss, mechanical.
    Cell phone is off.
    No pacemaker, yet.

My neighbor has a koi pond with a recirculation pump. I don't know them, but I might ask if they could turn it off so I can check..

20. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Make sure you put "koi pond" in air quotes so they know you really mean their secret indoor hydroponic garden.

Peegoo and awasson like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.