House keeping, and a kind reminder

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by TheGoodTexan, Jun 25, 2019.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Just a reminder for everyone - the rules of the overall TDPRI apply equally in this forum, which includes a ban on the discussion of religion or religious topics. That includes discussions of theology, doctrines, denominational practices, and all of these as they apply to social issues. Our old friend Paul placed a sticky thread up top in 2010 to help clarify this point. Please go re-read it now.

And technically, this section is not even limited to a specific practice of faith.

So what can we discuss in here?

The practice of playing music within the context of these special types of services. That is, the point of the "gig" is not to sell beer at the bar, or get tips into the tip jar, or even to get applause. There is a different purpose and expectation for worship service players.

"Anybody know how Mike got that opening tone on Mercy Me's recorded version of Flawless? Was he using the Maxon OD808 that TheGoodTexan gave him in 2001?"

See... that question would likely draw unwarranted ridicule from other subforms just because the song is from a religious band. But if you ask that in here, no one is going to pop in with a slanted view of the topic and derail the whole thing.

Parsing out the finer points of the hypostatic union? No.

Parsing out the finer points of a wet/dry setup with a cranky sound man? Yes.

Retreating from the world to practice your faith in isolation? No.

Retreating your amp to a closet behind the stage mic-ed up in isolation? Yes.

I have discussed these things with the other moderators, and we are all in agreement. I will be deleting some old threads here that have crossed the line, but no warnings will be given for those threads/posts right now, because this is just a reminder. Going forward though, please follow all forum rules to avoid warnings or worse.

brogh and black_doug like this.
  2. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

You lost me at hypostatic union.

You must be in seminary. ;)

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  3. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

So, no dispensation as long as we're supportive and don't proselytize? Perhaps I should take a more ridiculing stance and confine it to the musicality?

ravindave_3600 and TheGoodTexan like this.
  4. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

It's good to get this reminder, as I'm sure we do stray over the line once in a while.

But I do think there's a middle ground in this group, where we are discussing what makes something worship leading v. performance, or similar issues.

This discussions are somewhat theological, in that they have to do with what exactly happens in worship, but they're also practical and music-oriented. How do you do this differently because of the fact that it's worship not a concert? Or, to reference a question I posted recently, how do you involve more members of your congregation in providing musical leadership during worship, given various talent, skill, and experience levels? That question would be answered very differently on the band wagon page, for example. Here your answer might have something to do with your understanding of worship, which is a theological issue.

These discussions tread a line that has, in my (admittedly not so) humble opinion, only occasionally been crossed.

65 Champ Amp and TheGoodTexan like this.
  5. TheGoodTexan

As long as you’re talking about dispensing musical and guitar knowledge, all will be cool.

6. TheGoodTexan

I get it. I truly do. There is a huge need for the discussions that you speak of. But for the most part, they will likely cross the line of the forum rules (which I did not create). As a result, the TDPRI is not the place for those conversations, not even in a subforum dedicated to playing guitar in worship services.

The challenges are rarely due to the original post in a thread (in any TDPRI sub forum). The challenges come as a thread progresses and people inch closer and closer to the line (maybe even unwittingly), until someone eventually goes over the line. Then in retrospect, many of the previous posts need to be removed too.

7. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I get where you're coming from, but this particular sub forum is unique on the net, at least in my experience. You see, we can discuss things like Pastor Jay talks about here with almost no back biting or righteous vitriol. It is too bad that there will now be absolutely no place on the net to have these types of civil and informative discussions.

I get that the rules are the rules and have been the rules and the mods are now going to vigorously enforce them. Frankly it has been nice that the mods have "let the players play" rather than have the refs run the game. This section is really the only reason I come to the TDPRI, and I really enjoy it. Honestly, sometimes this section has helped me keep my sanity as a church player. This bums me out.

Edit: Just wanted to add a thank you to the Mods for commencing or re-commencing moderation with moderation :) In other words thanks for the grace, or is it mercy, shown in easing back into it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    GoldieLocks, 65 Champ Amp and mRtINY like this.
  8. beatnik

beatnik TDPRI Member

You know, I prefer a gentle reminder to the kind reminder.

Just an FYI.

Now I must retire to unbunch my britches.

9. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

“Worship Service Players” worship who/what?
    We can’t tell you.

New mod, who is not a worship musician, and has not been active in this subforum is going to straighten us out and delete all offending history. It’s a brave new world.

Ok. I’ll try to abide since I don’t own the forum. But I sincerely hope you understand what sets worship musicians apart. No, it’s not our use of dotted eight delay.

Perhaps the forum owners choosing a guy who is not a worship musician and has, until being assigned here, had zero interest in participating in the discussions on this tiny subforum as moderator is the hand writing on the wall. ( a metaphor straight out of Daniel used intentionally).

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    mRtINY and GoldieLocks like this.
  10. 65 Champ Amp

Please don’t take offense at the above. I’ll trust you to do your best, and I’ll abide the rules.

11. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

I've been on other sub forums right along side The Good Texan.
    We have been in some pretty interesting go arounds with folks
    of all persuasions.

To say that he has no prior interest in this sub forum is a reactive statement.
    We don't know how much he has read these topics before his position
    and I'm quite comfortable with him being assigned to mod this group.

Like divine appointment, I show up and he shows up! Lol.
    Lord knows I can use a moderator every now and then.

I am also glad we touched on the other types of P&W besides
    what is the majority of musicians here. Different belief systems
    need an outlet that is inviting.....

Seems to me, the name of the game these days is to be all inclusive.

Play Ball!

12. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

I'm pretty sure i'll be kicked out of here in 3...2...1...

13. studio

Hmmm.

14. studio

In before the lock!

Wait a minute, this is a moderator's thread.....

15. TheGoodTexan

I didn't see anything kick-worthy from you brother.

I'm not kicking anybody right now.

I will need to clean up a few things, but I'm leaving it open for right now because we're about to go on stage. I posted those pictures in that other thread and then saw all of this. I won't be able to get back to the computer until much later tonight.

For now.. everyone please go re-read the rules... especially the section on Mod Actions... and please abide by them.

16. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

And perhaps now we see why we need these rules.

Peace,
    Pastor Jay

17. 65 Champ Amp

I owe an apology to @TheGoodTexan.
    I twice said he’s not a worship musician, when a more careful reading of his OP would have revealed he is indeed. I got it mixed up with him saying he has not been active in this forum.
    And to both he and @studio, I also apologize for being rude and antagonistic.
    A poor way to welcome newcomers, especially to this forum.
    Sincere humble apologies to the two of you, and to the others on this forum.
    Jeff

JuneauMike and CapnCrunch like this.
  18. TheGoodTexan

Thank you for that Jeff. I appreciate it brother.

65 Champ Amp likes this.
  19. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

In my experience, this forum has been pretty self correcting. Conversations sometimes get mildly heated, but almost always the folks who post here bring things around and make things right. That definitely has not been my experience in other forums that discuss worship related issues.

20. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

Yep, this place has been very very good. Hopefully it doesn't change. Sometimes we do need to hit on the religious and theological and Philosophical aspects of being religious musicians. Most of us are adults --- we can handle it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.