1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hotrod deluxe III handle

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Jegonzal, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Jegonzal

Jegonzal TDPRI Member

I've had very bad luck with my hot rod deluxe handle. The original handle broke off within about 8 months of having the amp. Ordered a new one from an after market dealer and that one broke this weekend. Both handles broke from the same place. Any of you guys had the same experience and is there another handle or fix for this?

2. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

If this is a Dog bone handle, then yes I have had the same problem, but my experience occurred in 6 months. I have a Supersonic 22W amp and the amp was bought new. I replaced it with original equipment from Fender's website.

So far its holding up....I hope for a permanent solution. I gig with this amp and it broke after a benefit performance. I was moving it myself, so it was not mishandled.

3. Jegonzal

Jegonzal TDPRI Member

Yes. I don't feel like I've put my amp through hell. And there's not a legit reason why it keeps on breaking other than maybe they should stop using plastic handles.

4. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I don't think its the handles; it's the braces that affix the amp handle to the amp. They are tiny and semisharp; they seem to work their way through the dog bone handle. No it isn't right on a virtually new amp of 6 months.

My other vintage handles have never broken in over 20 years. Though I love the Supersonic 22, I gave it a rating of 4 out of 5 stars because of the construction or build quality ( see the Fender website). I get a rattle from the cage that surrounds the power tubes, simply because the metal cage is too close to the speaker magnet. There are other things too.

5. Jegonzal

Jegonzal TDPRI Member

I could easily buy a new handle but I'm affraid my amp won't be so lucky the next time it breaks. I might end up installing a completely different type of handle. I was talking to a friend of mine that owns a twin reverb and he said this types of handles also break. Is there another type of handle you would recommend? When it broke for the 1st time I thought about installing a different type of handle but I didn't for the only reason of having to drill new holes but at this point I don't really care.

6. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I'm on my third dogbone handle; that's a rate of one handle every 4 months. I think I will try to retrofit a vintage stitched leather handle WHEN it breaks again. I have started to carry the amp like a baby when I transport it to gigs.

7. tresspassor

tresspassor Tele-Meister

If you have a drill and are the diy type, you can just replace it with a quality handle which has an internal metal strap. I did that when I retolexed my HRDX.
    [​IMG]

8. TedB

TedB TDPRI Member

The handle's got no reinforcement so it's no wonder that it breaks.
    There's a brand new HRD III at my local music store - already with a broken handle.
    A decent handle with the necessary steel reinforcement doesn't cost even ten dollars, so please, Fender, sort this out; it spoils an otherwise quality product.

9. Joely

Joely Tele-Meister

Same here. I think it's the metal fixing bars that dig and rub as said above. I got an eBay replacement... Leather with the metal inside. Top notch and drops straight in. No drilling. Just measure your holes and length of strap.

10. BagbyGuitar

BagbyGuitar TDPRI Member

The handle on my Hot Rod Deville 4x10 broke after 3 days

11. Little Jay

Little Jay Tele-Meister

The plastic handle of my 90ies Blues Deluxe is still there with no issues at all (and it got carried by that handle a lot!). Did they switch to a different supplier that uses inferior plastic? Or maybe the metal fixing bars got sharper so they cut thru the plastic? In the latter case a good old file to round those off a bit more could work wonders....

12. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

Get a set of casters or a dolly. Maybe replace the handle with a Twin Reverb handle.

13. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Antique Electronic Supply has a leather replacement handle in various colors that will fit the III series amp

14. intheblues

intheblues TDPRI Member

Could you please post a link or PM me the one you got? Mine broke after 8 days!! :eek: :oops:

Many thanks! :cool:

15. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Wow! :eek: that's scary stuff when the handle breaks on a brand new amp.

You're sure no bricks were stacked in the back of the amp? (kiddin')

Same here. no issues ever since.
    Quality must have really gone downhill.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.