1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

HOT TUNA!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Paul in Colorado, May 14, 2014.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I was listening to a couple of early Hot Tuna albums this morning. (Burgers, First Pull Up, Then Pull Down). I saw them evolve from an acoustic duo or trio to a full on band. I like the first three or four albums best (with Papa John), but would still go out of my way to see Jorma and Jack again.

Any other fans here?

2. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

3. '56Teleman

'56Teleman Tele-Afflicted

Water Song is the first tune I think of when someone mentions Hot Tuna. There are a lot of memories...

4. urizen

urizen Tele-Afflicted

Turned me onto (and put me in the woodshed with) serious fingerpicking when that 1st album came out way back in the wayback.

5. Kyluckyman

Kyluckyman Tele-Holic

I got turned on to them when a friend we suggested we go see them at a free concert they performed at a college around Washington DC in the mid 70's. I have been a fan ever since! I really like First Pull Up, Then Pull Down and grab their records when I see them at used record stores.

6. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

+1 for Hot Tuna - both Jack and Jorma are great players - electric and acoustic. Burgers is a classic Lp.

7. JohnSS

JohnSS Tele-Meister

I am a longtime Tuna fan and have probably seen Tuna and/or Jorma over 20 times. There are tons of live Tuna recordings on Spotify, both acoustic and electric. Double Dose is the only non bootleg live electric Hot Tuna record of mostly original material as opposed to covers during the 70s. During the 70s, Jorma played an L5-S, non reverse brown Firebird, black Firebird V, 3 different Strats, and Ovation Legend and Adamas acoustics through Orange and Hiwatt amps.

8. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I've never seen 'em but sure would like to.

9. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

"What's that smell, pretty mamma, I really would like to know" Don't get lyrics like THAT anymore. Great band.

10. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Saw them in the 70's, in their 'power trio' period (around 'Yellow Fever' as I recall) and thought they were amazing. Jorma's electric tones with the Airplane ("Good Shepherd" comes to mind) are some of my favorite sounds ever, but few guitarists are so good on acoustic and electric.

I'd love to do a summer session at the Fur Peace sometime, but well, not this summer. *sigh*

11. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i saw them on "abc's in concert" back about 72 (that film used to be on u-tube, but i couldn't find it just now) and thought they were great. they were fine ambassadors for the blues, cause i didn't know or care anything about blues then, but still really enjoyed what they were doing.

12. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

I have been a fan since the mid 70's. Seen them maybe a dozen times. Acoustic, electric, it's All Good!

One of my favorites is a One Chord Song, called 99 Year Blues.
    "Give me my pistol
    3 round balls
    I'm gonna shoot everybody
    I don't like at all
    Like at all...."

Love it. How do you make a one chord song work? Jack & Jorma!

Saw them a few years back at a up state PA summer festival at a ski resort. They did a afternoon acoustic set, then a evening electric set. It was fantastic!

13. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

I always liked them in the Last Days of the Fillmore. If I remembor correctly, Jorma was the only guitarist in the movie that used a Fender (strat) guitar. Everybody else used Gibsons.

14. radiomanjh

radiomanjh Tele-Afflicted

very talented, I got to see Jorma years ago in Athens, Ohio. I believe he still is near Athens and has his guitar clinics there at his Fur Peace Ranch.

15. '56Teleman

'56Teleman Tele-Afflicted

Here it is

Sorry, I don't know why it posted twice but I've had enough of trying to figure it out.:mad:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.