Hot Rod Tele pickguard question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by JedimasterPaul, Apr 2, 2020.

1. JedimasterPaul

JedimasterPaul TDPRI Member

So, I'm about to place an order for a new custom pickguard for my '52 Hot Rod Tele, with the Seymour Duncan firebird pickup.

The place I am getting it from wanted me to send my existing pickguard, but its on the guitar, and I don't want to take it off for this, and I think I don't need to. But I think they mainly wanted to see about the placement of the cutout. The guy on the phone wanted to know the spacing

I did some measuring and it looks like the gap between the neck pickup and the neck is the same as it is on a tele with a normal neck pickup? about 13mm? I cut a strip of paper that wide and it fit perfectly, not tight, not loose.

So before I hit the send button on the order just double checking with the gurus here, I figure someone here will know.

I'm wanting the cutout on the new pickguard to fit a Lollar Firebird, which is very slightly larger. But I was just going to maintain that cutout at 13mm off the edge as opposed to centering the new cutout where it is on the existing pickguard.

What I am doing is changing the neck pickup to the Lollar Firebird, and the bridge pickup to the Mojotone quiet coil broadcaster, for a no-hum setup. 500k pots too. Going to keep all the original parts of course

Sound right?

here is a pic of my guitar:

[​IMG]

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Could you trace an outline of your pickguard on a piece of construction paper and send that to them?

Plus you can mark where the screw holes are.

Just a thought. I guess it depends on how much of a hurry you're in.

3. JedimasterPaul

I definitely will if they need me to. I'm working with wdmusic, which is where Fender (who I contacted first) sent me. Apparently they have the licenses for Fender's pickguards. So, I'm thinking the screw holes should line up, and the shape will be correct.

They just didn't have a template with the neck pickup cutout for my guitar, probably because its not a current model.

4. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

I'd think they'd want to see if the screw holes match, as those are the toughest to get right on replacement pickguards.

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Trace it AND photocopy it. Please assume that you'll need to do some tweaking of hole locations, no matter what.

6. JedimasterPaul

Ok

that’s good advice

I wonder if they would send me one without the holes, might be able to get the tech to drill it when he has the OG pickguard off

7. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I guess that might be an option. Ask your tech what he prefers.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Strange, they didn't have a template for this design.

This is getting mighty close to, buy a Conventional 5 hole pickguard or three, and just make the cut yourself.

JedimasterPaul likes this.
  9. JedimasterPaul

now there’s a thought.

I’ve seen some on reverb but I think they are offshore, and I wasn’t sure if I’d have to still enlarge the hole a bit

I suppose I could just do that with the existing guard, but I wanted to keep it just to have the original parts

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I try not to be superstitious, but in my case, I'd have 3 spares, and so long as I have 3 spares, the first one I modify will come out great. And I won't do a second.

11. JedimasterPaul

so what is the best way to cut a bakelite pickguard, so I doesn't look too bad? will it cut with a razor blade? or should I use files (I have a set of hobby files)

edit -

well nevemind that

had some free time on my hands today. Took all the strings off to swap barrels, so I decided to yank the pickguard and make some tracings. I'll mail it off to wdmusic this week and that should settle that

thanks for all the input here, it helped, much appreciated

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  12. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

Don't assume that...

SPUDCASTER likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.