Hot rod deville, quilter TB

Schrodinger

TDPRI Member
In my quest to find a clean guitar amp I came across the HRD as it's within my budget (assuming used) how does this hold up against the more high end offerings by Fender (Twin Reverb, Princeton etc.) Any others I should check out (preferably just the head only) within this price range (around 4 to 5 hundred used)?

Another one I'm considering is actually solid state - a quilter tone block 202; anyone used this? Can it kop fender cleans or is there just no substitute for a genuine fender amp?

What would you go for out of these two?

Edit; I will be running into a torpedo cab

Last edited:

Cali Dude

Friend of Leo's
I'm a tube guy. So I would recommend sticking with a Fender tube amp. If it was up to me, I would look into a Reissue '65 deluxe reverb. The hrd would be cool too.

jfgesquire

Friend of Leo's
I love my HR Deluxe. Mine is the IV generation. I got what was basically a brand new amp from guitar center used for $500 or about half price.

Remember, however, that the rectifier, reverb driver and recovery, and effects loop circuits are solid state

The reverb is still way too sensitive, becoming absurd at 2.5. I have an original 60s TUBE Vox Cambridge and that reverb absolutely spoiled me.

I have had the good fortune of seeing the guitarist in my son's band use my amp and it hangs well with a Peavy 6505 that was also on stage, if you're familiar with that.

The DeVille with its extra 20 watts and second speaker I'm sure gives it a little more head room.

Here's a comparison review.

Shango66

Friend of Leo's
do you gig often?
the HRD is not a bedroom amp, its a good gigging amp w plenty of clean power. the quilter can do bedroom and gigs plus it is lightweight, But you’ll need a cab, extra $$ If you go the q.

Schrodinger

TDPRI Member
I don't gig - I'm just after a nice clean sound for the studio as my 5 watter isn't suitable. I wouldn't be miking it up or anything - just running into a Torpedo Cab with a load box.

I'm quite short on space though so if I can get away with using a quilter 202 with equally decent results compared to the hot rod then all the better. Shame there isn't a cab version of the HR.

Schrodinger

TDPRI Member
I should add that the 5 watter I'm using is the Laney 5 Studio head (into torpedo cab). I could upgrade to the L20 head - but I'm not sure this would give me the headroom I need.

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
Quilter 202 will get you great clean tones at all volumes. But is a Super Block better for your application? The 200 watter may be overkill.

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi!
In my quest to find a clean guitar amp I came across the HRD as it's within my budget (assuming used) how does this hold up against the more high end offerings by Fender (Twin Reverb, Princeton etc.) ...
The HrDeluxe is a decent amp - and it does make a nice clean amp for home-use, too!
The "trick" is to use the 2nd input!
All the controls will have more useable range, and it doesn't get LOUD so easily.

The more expensive Fenders (generally) do sound nicer/different, and are better built - but the HrDeluxe is just fine!
Actually, at the prices they go for on the used market, I think they're the proverbial "no-brainer" ;)

cheers - 68.

Last edited:

Schrodinger

TDPRI Member
The Fender Blues Deluxe RI is now on my radar...

I thought this would be simple, but the more research I do, the deeper the rabbit hole gets....

Last edited:

Powdog

Tele-Meister
D04A4EC8-9715-4A01-9F3E-CCA6054DCB9F.jpeg

The HR Deluxe weighs almost 50 pounds. It’s a lot of amp.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
The Deville is a loud amp, so keep that in mind. They can have their issues now and then as do most of the other modern Fender amps. No more than many I dont think though.
The Blues Deluxe is a fine sounding amp. Similar architecture inside. Loud and heavy also.
Any of these is a huge jump from a 5 watter.
PersonallyI would go to something like a Princeton Reverb or 15-18 watts . Blues Jr. (Although EL84 amps have their own sound, you may or may not like)

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi!
Any of these is a huge jump from a 5 watter.
PersonallyI would go to something like a Princeton Reverb or 15-18 watts . Blues Jr. (Although EL84 amps have their own sound, you may or may not like)
Yes, the HrDeluxe/DeVille are loud and heavy amps.
But they do sound good at low volumes, and if you don´t have to carry them around, the "heavy" bit is not an issue ;)
The Blues Junior is (another) fine amp, but it´s nowhere near the clean-territory of the HrDeluxe.
I´d go for the Princeton Reverb myself (and I did), but it´s hardly within the $500-range anymore...

cheers - 68.

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
I have a Quilter Overdrive 200, and it sounds very good. I think the Toneblock would also sound good. In some situations, people find that they like an EQ pedal in the loop.

As somebody mentioned, the Superblock might be a better Quilter for your situation. You'd never use the power of the TB, and the SB gets plenty loud, if you suddenly needed to play a gig somewhere besides a stadium.

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
I have a Quilter Overdrive 200, and it sounds very good. I think the Toneblock would also sound good. In some situations, people find that they like an EQ pedal in the loop.

As somebody mentioned, the Superblock might be a better Quilter for your situation. You'd never use the power of the TB, and the SB gets plenty loud, if you suddenly needed to play a gig somewhere besides a stadium.

JDB2

Tele-Afflicted
think the Toneblock would also sound good. In some situations, people find that they like an EQ pedal in the loop.
Unsurprisingly, I think results vary greatly dependent on the speaker used with the Tone Block. IME it sounds great with Celestion V30s and also Quilter's own Block Dock HD cabinet that has a 300W Celestion neo speaker.