Hot Rod Deluxe

Bill Moore

Tele-Afflicted
I worked on my first Hot Rod last week, and was surprised at the easy repair! (I'm not a tech, but folks know of my hobby!) I have heard, (and read), about the burnt PCB traces, overheated components, jack problems, and yes the poor solder connections. The fellow had been playing from the preamp out to a SS power amp, and back to the speaker.
I installed a couple of power tubes and powered up, no heaters, moving the tubes got one tube glowing. I soldered all power tube to board connections, and powered up again, sounds pretty good! I told the fellow I would order/install tubes, and set bias, and it would be ready! I was expecting worse!

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Your fun and games is just beginning. Self
-desoldering tube socket pins, self-unsoldering concrete block resistors (channel switch and reverb), flameproof grid resistors that cook themselves......

corliss1

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
The Hot Rod Series of amps *really* isn't that bad. Can they experience issues? Sure, but so can anything else. It's the number one selling amp of all time, across any brand, so it can't totally suck. And we have to remember about the volume of complaints - there's also an equally large volume of these amps.

But yes, when I see a Hot Rod come in, it's just another repair, nothing crazy at all.

Bill Moore

Tele-Afflicted
I have repaired a few Juniors, and experienced a lot of those symptoms, (including having to jumper PCB traces), I usually replace the input jack on them with a Switchcraft, but this Hot Rod's jacks are fine. (I'm not sure there's room for a standard jack anyway, probably need to replace with OE if necessary).