Hot Rod Deluxe I, Normal/Bright Footswitch?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Synaestheziac, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Synaestheziac

Synaestheziac TDPRI Member

Hello there, friends. First time poster, regular lurker. Maybe you folks can help me with this.

I never use the Drive channel. I mean never. It does nothing for me. But, still, there it sits with it's two dedicated knobs and 1/4" jack taking up all that real estate. But a switch allowing me to move between bright/normal on the fly? That, I would use.

So, on a Hot Rod Deluxe, is it actually possible to rewire the native footswitch and jack (or, barring that, any kind of footswitch) to switch between the bright and normal channels, rather than the clean and drive?

2. William Pugh

William Pugh Tele-Meister

Easiest thing would be an A/B (to switch) or an A/B/Y (to switch or mix). One input, but two outputs, one sent to each of the inputs on the amp.

To use the native footswitch you would need to rewire the jack, etc. on the amp's circuit board. That's too much for me to do, anyway.

Good luck.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The Bright switch does not function on those jacks but rather sits downstream of the first gain stage. Surely someone could figure out how to tap into that small treble pass circuit and make it switchable. It could possibly be done using the second input jack position for the switch? It is not particularly something that I would be interested in doing or thinking about.. ..but someone can help you....robrob, bendyha, Corliss...
    fwiw, the two inputs are the typical Fender arrangement wherein the second jack has a gain cut on the input signal when playing in that jack.
    And...welcome, Syn.... what tube are you running in V1? If you have never tried a 12AY7 or a 5751 there, you might like what it does for the amp......reduces gain in the first stage and thereby changes the sweep response of that Volume pot and also sweetens up the entire amp, imho. Biasing is also important as these amps are biased cold at the factory.

Synaestheziac likes this.
  4. corliss1

corliss1 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

So the bright switch on these isn't really a channel like the older 2 "channel" amps (deluxe reverb, twin, super reverb, stuff like that). The trick on this guy is the connection to that bright cap, which the switch engages a lot like the older amps more or less, is also connected to the drive channel footswitch. So, you could potentially mess up the channel switching if the k1b section of the relay is no longer properly grounded. Since you're pulling off a knob that is PCB mounted as well you'd likely need to put a resistor in it's place as a placeholder since just removing that pot, even though you don't plan to use the channel, may also have unintended consequences. I'm also not sure if an actual 1/4 jack would fit there with the PCB...since I've never tried anything like that.

My advice if you just want to switch some brightness? EQ pedal. I bet this would actually be cheaper than an hour on the bench at most techs and you can move it to any other amps if you want to tweak them too.

5. Wally

Imho, the Blues/HotRod amps are like many other switching amps...they are essentially single channel amps that add gain stages to an basic signal path in order to take the circuit into higher levels of distortion. The vintage two channel Fender amps, river-era DRII, Concert and TRII and the SuperSonic 22 and 60 amps are true two channel amps....the preamps are very much separate preamp channels. The Blues/Hot rods, Fender Pro Sonic, Rivera-era Super Champ and Princeton Reverb II and many other modern switching amps are imho worthy of having the quotation marks around the word channel...two "channel" amps...to indicate their true nature in that all of them have an input gain stage that is common to all variations of the signal path. Back in the early '70's, Randall Smith started cascading gain in single channel amps when he first started modding the little Princeton Reverb amps into those first 'boogies'.
    This distinction may not matter to some, but it helps to understand the signal path to some extent....and how different controls affect the signal. I guess I see it like this...if there is one source of water that starts a river and that river at some point forks into two branches only to have those two branches end up taking their own path to some common point downstream, that is one river. If there are two sources of water that have separate and individual beginnings and their waters join somewhere down stream, those are two separate channels that combine at a 'summing point'....as in those true two channel amps I mention above.

corliss1 likes this.
  6. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

My take, don't mess with the circuit board on these amps, they are tedious to begin with. Its major surgery to take the circuit board out and even at that, unless you are really skilled with a very low watt iron you can and will do damage to the PC bd.

IF you desire to change the EQ of your playing, use an EQ pedal up front in the chain.

I really like these amps and use them very often but I really DO NOT LIKE taking them apart.

Synaestheziac and Wally like this.
  7. Synaestheziac

You guys are awesome. I knew I came to the right place.

I was afraid it would involve messy digging in the circuit board, and so it does. I will leave her be. I was hoping to get a little top boost I could kick in at times without adding another pedal to my crowded pedal board, but oh well.

And Wally, I'm running an EH 12ax7 in V1, and Tung-sol 5881s in the power slots. I like a good bit of compression on tap, but you are now the third person to recommend a lower gain tube in V1. I will have to try it.

Wally likes this.
  8. Wally

Have you ever had the bias checked???

9. Synaestheziac

I’ve re-biased it every time I’ve switches power tubes. Currently, I think I have it around 65mv. Would you recommend a different setting?

10. Wally

that is where I like the bias to be on that amp.

Synaestheziac likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.