Hot Rod 50's Reclaimed Redwood or 52 Roasted Ash Tele??

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by AlbertaTelePlayer, Apr 26, 2018.

1. AlbertaTelePlayer

AlbertaTelePlayer TDPRI Member

New to the forum but have been reading posts for a while. Great source of info for everything Tele.

I am looking to buy a good Tele for my 17 year old son. He has a Squire Affinity tele now and it was great for him to learn on, but he needs a much better tele now. He primarily plays country music, loves the country twang. He also plays some classic and contemporary rock, but he is 90% country. He has picked up the guitar incredibly fast and has a real knack for learning new songs, can pick up a new song and play it within an hour of two of practicing it.

There are 2 particular Tele's he looking at. He loves the Hot Rod 50's Relcaimed Redwood, with the Wide Range Humbucker in the neck and Custom Shop vintage single coil in the bridge. He has been talking about this guitar for a while now, ever since he seen Luke Combs guitar player playing one at a concert.

LE03274-1.jpg

The second one is one he recently found and is also interested in that one. It ia a 52 Roasted Ash Tele, with American Vintage 52 Single Coil pickups.

V1737222-1.jpg

He likes the look of both of them. They are both unique, and rare and he likes that aspect of them. There are none in our area for him to try out so we would have to order them online. So I am looking for your help.

I am wondering if anyone has either of these and can let me know your impressions of them. Did they live up to your expectations? Are you still happy that you purchased it? Still playing it or is it tucked away?

Also, Id like opinions on which one will suit his playing style better, which is primarily country, with a bit of classic and contemporary rock (Counting Crows, etc), given the different pickup configurations and the types of pickups in both.

AlbertaGriff and chemobrain like this.
  2. AlbertaTelePlayer

Im surprised no comment or opinions on this topic.

3. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

They are both sweeeeeet. Guess it just depends on if you need the hum bucker. Also, might want to check out neck shapes and radius. I love the big U, but many do not.

4. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

I’d go door number 2, based on looks alone and the fact that I don’t need humbucking. Assuming that would have the 52 neck, which is beautifully beefy. That’s just me.

5. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Holic

number 2 for all the country twang and rock you will ever need

6. rodger

rodger Tele-Meister

Definitely Door # 2. Below is a pic of mine, bought last December. The American Vintage '52 Single-Coil Tele pickups are hot. I love mine.

[​IMG]

eclecticsynergy and MrHamburger like this.
  7. AlbertaTelePlayer

Thanks for replies. My son really liked the Reclaimed Redwood one and then he saw the roasted ash and that is his new number 1. I do not play, well i try but its awful, so I don't know a lot about guitars, thats why all the questions. I was at a local shop and they had a new FSR 50's Tele with a P-90 in neck and American Vintage 58 single coil in the bridge. I really liked the sound of that one, and I think the P-90 would give him a lot of tonal options. But he doesn't like the look of it. I agree that the Roasted Ash looks much better, but which would be better for the style he plays, country. Here is the FSR one:

Fender-FSR-P-90-loaded-Telecaster-in-Lake-Placid-Blue.jpg

8. bluenote23

bluenote23 Tele-Meister

I have an Old Growth Redwood Telecaster (not the one pictured but the Telebration) and one thing I would caution about redwood is that it is soft and fragile (it won't break but it will dent and gouge really easily).

Some 17 year olds might be real careful with their stuff (I wasn't) or not care if their guitar looks beaten to hell and back again but that is a consideration to keep in mind.

9. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

both instruments are beauties

10. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I've never tried any, but I'd go with the hot rod because

1. I really don't like the necks on the '52s
    2. Reclaimed is cooler than roasted.

He can always drop in two vintage voiced single coils, if he grows tired of the hot rod pups.

Either way he's a lucky kid that will end up with a great guitar :)

11. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I like the look of both, pretty much. As for aesthetics and the wood itself, the '50s reclaimed redwood wins, hands down. Except for the hot rod aspect. I like it when Tab Benoit plays wide range humbuckers, but they're not for me. I prefer my pickups the way I like my wife: sexy, bright and articulate. :twisted:

I don't dislike the roasted, per se; the body's okay, but that roasted maple neck is not for me. It always seems that what I prefer on a tele is a matter of mixing and matching features and specs. That's why all four of my teles are Logan Customs, and any future teles will built by Bob Logan as well. I'm spoiled to getting my way. :oops::twisted:

Upon reflection, you should think of the specs. I haven’t played a Squier Affinity in a long time, but my memory of the neck is that it is narrow, with a slim C profile and a 9.5" fretboard radius.

That roasted maple neck isn’t as narrow, and has a U shaped neck profile, with a 7.25" radius. The reclaimed redwood has a D shaped neck profile, with compound radius from 7.25" to 12" radius.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  12. AlbertaTelePlayer

Thanks everyone. There are none of these available in our area so when we do decide, we have to order online. So we will not get a chance to try either. So in terms of sound, tone, we will be relying a lot on input from this forum. My gut feel is that for country music, the 2 Single Coils would be better than the Wide Range and Single Coil, but I haven t seen much info on the American Vintage 52 Single Coils.

13. absurdocaster

absurdocaster Tele-Meister

I’m not sure if anyone has said this yet (have perused the thread but not in great detail) if you are ordering online just make sure you confirm that you can return the guitar for refund if he doesn’t like it (usually there are some shipping costs involved).

As for the choice the roasted 52 is quite similar to the standard 52 in terms of build so you could check out a standard 52 in a store. Assuming you’re in Alberta, from your profile name, you should be able to find one in a Long and McQuade, Guitar Works or some of the smaller shops.

The roasted 52 is getting great reviews on this site (search for the threads if you haven’t yet) and will certainly give a great range of tones for country and musical styles beyond. The 52 single coils have been well regarded across the various incarnations of the series and certainly sound great.

14. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Both will work.
    The reclaimed Redwood is really nice. The WRHB is just a regular HB hiding in another case, but they do well.

15. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I love the redwood, but as mentioned, easily dented. Also, redwood does not hold screws all that well, so you might watch for that if you go with redwood.

16. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I Have the Made in Mexico Custom. I am not especially fond of the WHRB. I find it too low output to work like a good humbucker and overall a too dull.

Other than that I love the guitar.

I think the normal Tele neck pickup is a magic sound so would recommend the model with real tele pickups.

17. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Holic

I own the 50's Redwood model and it's a nice guitar, but of the two options you list I would go for the 52 Roasted Ash model.

18. AlbertaTelePlayer

Thanks for advice, looks like 52 Roasted Ash it will be..........

19. absurdocaster

absurdocaster Tele-Meister

That means there is going to be one very happy young man. May his musical journey be a grand one.

20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Both look great, but I prefer a neck humbucker, so I vote for the Redwood.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.