1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hot pickups

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cyberi4n, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Meister

See, I figured this would be in the pup section, so mods feel free to move it, but also its not really a question aimed at Pup gurus as such, more the general telecaster community, and so this is why I posted it here.

I downloaded a sketchy setups guide for the telecaster from Haze Guitars yesterday. Mainly I was interested in any tips for setting intonation on the three saddle bridge which I have no experience of whatsoever, but anyway on reading the guide I noticed something I hadn't thought of before, and wasn't immediately clear, so I thought I'd ask here. He mentions setting pickup height as a baseline as 3.4mm for hot pickups, and 2.4mm for classic pickups. (figures may be not quite right, I'm quoting from memory). So here's my question....

What do YOU guys class as "hot"?

For reference, I have TRT2 Hot classics in my telecaster, 7.1k and 9.2k Al3. But seeing some hot pickups at 16k, are mine "truly" hot?

2. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

I guess on a tele, to my mind anything over 7k is "hot", because in my mind, a classic telecaster comes with pickups around 6k. But that could just be in my mind.

I think the "hot classics" are just that, a slightly souped up classic design, eg about 1k more. But nothing like a super distortion!

Cyberi4n likes this.
  3. BobTheOwl

BobTheOwl Tele-Meister

Hot on a telecaster generally refers to around 9ish k as per some of the original Broadcaster pickups.

I understand, from conversations with Tonerider that the Hot Classics are based on this type of spec. I have a Hot Classic bridge pickup in my MIM standard, and set it a little lower in the bridge than lower output pickups, then use your ears to fine tweak it to your liking. Don't forget to put the treble side of the pick up a fraction higher than the bass side.

Cyberi4n likes this.
  4. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Cyberi4n .... others, with far better understanding than I, will no doubt and quite rightly explain why dc resistance in ohms is only one measure as to the strength of pickup X compared to pickup Y.
    But sticking with that for the moment and presuming we're not comparing with humbuckers too ...

"Classically" in the 50s-60s Fender single-coils would have been measured at around 5.5 to 6.5k. Today, 'standard' (and I'm not defining that here) Fender pickups are in approximate the range 6-7.5ish.
    By tweaking magnets/windings/etc (see above comment about others chipping in) pickups can be given more "ooomphh"
    So, using classic and current standard "off-the-shelf" and Fender branded single-coil pickup readings I would class anything above 8k as hot - but that's me personally.

PS. This would probably be a better fit in "Just pickups", but I appreciate guessing Forums can sometimes be a pain.

Cyberi4n likes this.
  5. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Meister

Whatever we decide is vintage spec is vintage spec, anything more can be called hot.

5% overwound can be called hot just as 100% overwound will be called hot.

A PAF that came out of the factory with a few more winds can be called hot just as a Super Distortion can be called hot.

Cyberi4n likes this.
  6. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

Oh yeah, never forget pickup wire and heights. Everything makes a difference. For example, I have a Q pickups Tele bridge, A3 magnets, 7k 42awg. But that balances lovely with my sentell 9.2k 43awg neck pickup.

Pickups are a pain, that's why buying matched pairs is a good plan. A good plan that I have never followed.

Cyberi4n likes this.
  7. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the responses. To be clear this was just intended to be a "what is hot" thread, as the topic seems to be subjective, but all great answers, thanks for taking the time :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.