Hot-ish tele single coils recommendation.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by OttoCorrect, Jul 1, 2019.

1. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Meister

I have a Squier classic vibes tele with the stock alnico 3 pickups in it. What I do like is that they’re wound a little hotter than vintage but not crazy hot. What I don’t like is that they seem just a tad flat or dull sounding to me. I do want something similar in output, since I like a hotter single coil distorted sound, but I’m looking for something with a more lively sound if I’m running it clean. I tried some custom shop 51 nocasters but felt they were too vintage sounding and made this particular guitar seem kinda wimpy so out they came and the stock alnico 3s went back in.

In short, what are some good hotter than vintage tele pickup options? Something with life and zing but that sound great cranked up and ready to do some punk rock grinding? Cheaper the better but I’m open to spending a little more than low budget options if it’s gonna have that certain something. Fender Tex Mex? Twisted Tele? Bootstrap Pretzel pups?

What do you recommend and why do you like them?

(For reference, I’m playing through an Egnater Tweaker 15w head with some upgraded tubes through an open back 1x12” cab stocked with an Eminence Tonker, the amp/speaker combo is perfect to me, just looking to change the pickups to get more from this particular guitar.)

2. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Fender CS Texas Specials.

Chief101, FenderGuy53 and richiek65 like this.
  3. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

SD Jerry Donahue Lead Tele?
    ... or maybe it is too smooth for you?

Mincer likes this.
  4. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Probably too hot and more expensive than you're looking for, but SD quarter pounders sound absolutely amazing and can get out some serious oomph into the front end of an amp. I think they maintain a nice enough sound clean that they aren't too hot to serve as a standard, albeit beefier, single coil. They pair well with the old style treble bleed circuit that can help thin them down a little bit when you roll back on 'em.

5. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Old DiMarzio Pre-B1 is a good choice. Kind of under the radar, definitely not flavor of the month.
    There’s a Million good options though. I wouldn’t go full ‘hot’, the Tele character really doesn’t need high output to sound great.

6. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Another vote for the CS Texas Special, also while you have the solder gun hot, put in a 4 w switch to get series. Gives you a kinda Neck humbucker tone option and more noise reduction as a bonus.

Chief101 and FenderGuy53 like this.
  7. Atiron

Atiron TDPRI Member

Fralin Blues Specials are lightly overwound and walk a pretty good line between hot and traditional. Texas Specials do this well too.

trahx likes this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

For single coils, I really like Rio Grande Muy Grandes.
    They a slightly hotter than stock.

gkterry likes this.
  9. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Try the Cavalier Nashville Lion and Lion King.

10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I've been using Bootstrap Palo Duros for a while, and really like them. I've just received a set of their Pretzel Pups that I want to give a shot.....just have to find the time to install them. I tend to like "less-hot" pickups, so I may end up with a Palo Duro in the bridge, and Pretzel in the neck, but I'll just have to see. (hear!) At any rate, Bootstrap is a GREAT company to do business with!

11. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for the Dimarzio Pre-B1 bridge pickup. More honk than twang, great for rock sounds, P90-esque.

My only idea for a neck pickup is: none. Turn it into an Esquire.

12. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

I like all the suggestions so far. I've tried most of them and they all sound good, just different. I've had a Classic Vibe vintage blonde for several years. It was a great guitar originally. But just for the heck of it I've ended up changing everything on it over the years "just to see". The only thing original now is the body. :lol:

But you might like the pickups I ended up with. I have a DiMarzio Area Hot T in the bridge and a Duncan Firebird in the neck. They are not single coils, but it's hotter, still sounds like a Tele, balanced for good middle position, and noiseless (which comes in real handy in some places I play). The only problem with this is that you've just got to try everything out to see what you really want. I have a box full of pickups as a result. I'm thinking about putting my CV all back together so it's as it was when I bought it. o_O... maybe I'll keep the treble bleed.

IMG_20181010_095511742_HDR.jpg

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Bare Knuckle Pickup's Flat 50s are wonderful pups.

Pricey tho

Sendt fra min SM-G960F med Tapatalk

14. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I don't really care for anything hotter at the neck position, so I'm no help with that.

The hotter Tele bridge pickup that I do like is the Area Hot T, or the older Virtual Vintage Hot T. There seem to be some on the used market at any given time, and that's how I ended up giving that particular pickup a shot.

...It's got just a little bit of twang to it, but with more authoritative midrange. I actually prefer it for partscaster Esquire builds, because IMO, I end up with the Tele equivalent of a Les Paul Jr.

I also just discovered recently that by using 500K pots, you get even more twang. It's like the perfect marriage of Tele bridge pickup crossed with a P90.

15. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Tell Rob of Cavalier pickups exactly what ‘hot’ means to you and for that matter, what ‘tone’ means to you and he will work with you to find your voice.

16. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

17. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

There’s a guy in Buffalo, John Benson, who sells on the auction site. Great pickups. I have one of his P90s in the neck of a guitar, and one of his hotter wound T bridge pickups in the bridge. A little height fiddling, and the middle position balances nicely. And the bridge pickup cuts and sings without icepicking ears.

But maybe you need to get out the router and stick a P90 in your bridge. That sounds like what you’re describing.

18. tho618

tho618 TDPRI Member

You might like Lollar Vintage T or
    Bare Knuckle Brown Sugar sets.

The bridge in each are 7.5k ish and A5s.
    Slightly hotter than vintage voiced pups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. xenomorph

xenomorph TDPRI Member

the fender texas specials are amazing hot single coils, the tex-mex set is also good and a bit cheaper.
    if you wanna go the boutique route, i used to have a tele with a Bare Knuckle Piledriver set, which are true single coils but with the output of a humbucker
    and will do anything from twangy country to all out metal.

20. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

With the same things in mind, I'd add to the short list Fender's Yosemites, and the Gen4 Noiseless.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.