Hot/cold water conundrum

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RLee77, Apr 13, 2019.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

this. when they work, they save water and bring happiness...when they don't.. not so much.

drf64 likes this.
  2. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

william tele, RLee77 and Cheshiergrin like this.
  3. Cheshiergrin

Cheshiergrin Tele-Holic

RLee77 likes this.
  4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Send a letter to Ask This Old House with that picture. You might get them out for an episode. Or an answer.

5. Danocoustic

Danocoustic Tele-Meister

"Hot water heater".

If the water is hot, why do you have to heat it?

Be sure to use your PIN number at the ATM machine too.

Harry Styron and David Barnett like this.
  6. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Alright, first that is a mixing valve at the bottom of the pic and it's bleeding across, and probably bad, chunk it!! Run new lines, right from the shutoffs to the faucet above and you have fixed the problem!
    You want hot water quicker, buy a circulating valve, connect it to the W.H. and run a 3/8 copper line from your water heater to the furthest hot water outlet and back. You'll have hot water in a 1/4 of the time.

7. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Thanks for all the helpful comments! I figured it was some sort of advanced hot water thingy, but what I don't get is why in the heck is the cold water involved at all -- it seems to me that regardless of what you did to improve hot water availability, the cold water line should just go directly to the cold water tap.

Anyway, I'll check for pumps at the water heater, and also for the possibility of dead batteries. So if I got this contraption working as it was designed to work, what would be the end result? In other words, what's it going to do for me? Do I even want it? Keep in mind this is just one bathroom sink... this arrangement is repeated at least 4 times in the house.

8. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Happiness. Save water. what's not to like?

9. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

Ideally, a recirculating hot water system would have a dedicated return pipe, making it a big loop with all of the faucets spliced in. The pump circulates water through the loop and is returned to the water heater to replace whatever heat was lost in the process. This is very common in large buildings where the system is long enough that you'd waste a lot of water and energy letting the hot water cool in the pipes and waiting for fresh stuff to reach the taps.

Houses typically aren't plumbed this way, so retrofit systems use the whatsis you see under the sink. It has a valve that sends the hot water back to the water heater by way of the cold water line when neither is being used.

You shouldn't have to wait for hot water and your utility bills will be a little lower.

william tele likes this.
  10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

is it an anti scolding system so you never get full hot water.... stops kids getting scalded maybe?...

teleman1 likes this.
  11. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Ok so I checked out the water heater, and there is in fact a Laing pump on top, which can be switched to on/off/timer modes. It was in timer mode, I switched it to always on so I can see what happens. It plugs into an AC outlet.
    Not sure yet if any batteries are needed under the sinks. Or if something is malfunctioning causing the cold water issue, or if the cold water weirdness is just the price you pay for the system. If the latter, I may elect to just do without recirculation. I assume if I just turn the pump to off it will behave normally and not affect the cold water system.

Here’s the pump on top of the water heater... above the pump (not shown) is a large plastic reservoir.

F0918AF7-9A87-4A9A-B3FC-8DE1AE58B53D.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  12. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

I think that you need to call Harry Tuttle.

tumblr_ogcpdcIdgr1vy747uo1_1280.jpg

RLee77 likes this.
  13. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

teleman1 and RLee77 like this.
  14. getbent

it should have an AC plug that you should plug into the wall. I have a system similar and, well, it is cool.

15. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I get it now, how it works and the trade off between fast hot water and cold water availability. I’ve turned it off for now. I don’t like not being able to get cold water. And you can’t have it both ways without a separate recirculating line.

I suppose one could set the timer at a rate that would provide fast warm water in the winter, if you wanted.

16. getbent

that stinks that they didn't do it right. that installation looks a little janky... we have very cold water and hot water almost instantly... and it works...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.