1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hot Cake Pedal questions

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by badhead, Apr 7, 2021.

1. badhead

badhead TDPRI Member

Picked one up, but no instructions, unhelpfully.

Websites seem to suggest it can take 12v, not just 9v, but is this true?

Also, I can't get it to sound too great with my AC15. Just muddy, like all pedals except the RAT.

Any help on the above would be appreciated.

2. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I think @RetroTeleRod has one of these, IIRC. Maybe he will be able to chime in...

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  3. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

How are you setting your AC-15? On my Top Boost channel I have the Bass and Treble knobs both at noon. I get a nice clean tone out of it by having my Master volume at noon and Top Boost volume at 9 o’clock. With everything set like that then the Hot Cake will serve as a clean boost with its volume at 2 to 3 o’clock and drive and presence both at minimum. Think of the presence control as a “mids “ knob. When you increase the drive it helps to bring the presence up at the same time. If you’re getting a muddy sound with the presence cranked and the gain fairly low I suspect something else is amiss. Here’s a video that gives a good demo of the Hot Cake sound...

4. badhead

badhead TDPRI Member

Thank you. I'll experiment more based on this. What about voltage?

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  5. BUG80

BUG80 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

This is still my favourite gear demo on Youtube.

To stay ontopic: love my Hotcake. It retains bass at lower gains, but seems to add a little at higher gains. This may be related to your "muddiness" issue, since you seem to like the RAT which cuts a fair amount of bass instead. So maybe you should run the Hotcake at low gains only, or compensate by rolling off bass on the Top Boost channel of your AC15.

I think the great thing about the Hotcake, which is also a problem at the same time, is the fact that it is so versatile. You can get all kinds of sounds from it: from almost transparent boost to fuzzy sounds. This does not make it a "plug-and-play" pedal; you need some time to play with it to find "your" sound.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  6. BUG80

BUG80 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

According to the specs it can be powered at 9 to 12v: http://www.crowtheraudio.net/products/hotcake/

Not sure how it affects the sound though (usually pedals have a bit more headroom at higher voltages)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.