1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Horror movies

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Oct 1, 2015.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

SG: I will watch it again - I remember that the fire extinguisher scene was a one-shot also, and I don't know how in the world they filmed it.

I might try to watch it this afternoon, but I cannot get my %@#$%& streaming service to come on.

2. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Hereditary.

I saw it in the theater about a month ago and while there are some tricky parts to do convincingly, it left a lingering feeling of darkness that only a good psychological horror movie can do. Toni Collette is brilliant. The end scene is really quite something.

3. thunderbyrd

you are torturing me man! I really want to see it. don't tell me anymore.

Steve Ouimette likes this.
  4. thunderbyrd

I recently was pleased by "incidents in a ghostland". well worth a watch.

5. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Mum's the word, I promise;)

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Back from seeing Hereditary with my sons.
    Wow.

Starts off very slow, make sure and stick with it.
    The most suspense I've seen since the original "Strangers" movie

7. thunderbyrd

I watched "Threads" last night, it showed up on Shudder. not supposed to be a horror film, but it sure does work as one. "Threads" was made in the 80's by the BBC to show the aftermath of atomic war. it is horrendous.

I saw it on tv many years ago and never since til last night.

8. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

That was a good horror movie. I haven't seen any good ones lately. They all kind of follow the mode of The Conjuring or Annabelle. That's been going on for quite a while now.

zosofan likes this.
  9. thunderbyrd

ok, I just watched hereditary. what the heck? I honestly don't even know if I liked it or not. I don't know what to say about it.

10. blowtorch

I loved it.
    The first half was painfully slow, though

thunderbyrd, tell me about shudder,please. Been interested for awhile

11. thunderbyrd

Shudder is a subdivision of streaming horror movies in Amazon Prime. I do not know if you can get it separately from Amazon or not. It has a bunch of the really good horror and a bunch of mediocre stuff. if you can get it for less than ten bucks or so a month, it is probably worth it to a real horror fan (I don't actually know what i'm paying for it, not much). and they add a few movies every month. I think you can go on the shudder website or on amazon and look over the selection of movies to see if you really want it or not.

12. thunderbyrd

As to "Hereditary": since I wrote the above, I have watched it 3 more times. the 1st time I watched it, I just couldn't form an opinion because - well, hell, I don't know why. it was sort of hard to assimilate. I knew it was disturbing and creepy. then, I did some research on the mythology used in the film and watched it again.

I happen to be a total believer in "the supernatural". I have good reasons to be. for one thing, I had a friend who had been involved in some really weird stuff at one time but who then stopped what he was doing and went in another direction (stuff that's beyond what's permitted to discuss here). My friend died in 2006, but if he was still alive, he would have been very disturbed by this movie. disturbed as in "people shouldn't watch this".

but aside from that aspect of it, yes it is a pretty great horror film. it really and truly takes off better on the 2d viewing, or at least it did for me. on the 2d viewing, you can put all the clues together and it makes it even creepier.

that last scene really disturbed me. and you know what it is that gets to me in that? that music that's playing on the soundtrack. that is one of the evilest sounding things I've ever heard.

some writers, critics have said this movie is the next movie in the path of "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Exorcist". I think only time will tell if it really belongs in that high of a category. see if anybody is still interested in it a year from now.

but having seen it 4 times, I can tell anybody that it is one hell of a ride!

blowtorch likes this.
  13. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

I just turned on John Carpenter’s, Christine...always great to see Dean Stockwell & the late, Harry Dean Stanton

14. blowtorch

Went to a midnight showing of the new "Halloween" last night, fell asleep halfway through it and didn't wake up until being poked once the movie was over .

The first half was alright, I liked it fine. The person I went with told me the movie was awesome

thunderbyrd likes this.
  15. Frank'n'censed

You got further down the road than I did with the original, back in the ‘70’s...the movie was sold out, we were standing in line & I passed out on the downtown sidewalk. Too much dope for Dopey...oh, the horror!

blowtorch likes this.
  16. Frank'n'censed

I was looking at a better arts/Film Fest theatre & they’re showing Hereditary on Halloween night...been waiting a few months to see it, so this it!!

Might wear my Halloween getup...The Unknown Comic on The Bong Show, my spoof on a local issue. I wrote an entire monologue, here’s one;

Doing my best Linda Blair, (Reagan from the Exorcist), saying, “it’s impression time...you might wanna record this, maybe it’ll go viral as Post-Millennial Impressionism? Spinning the paper bag on my head, 360 degrees, saying, “Just One True Dope sucks fatty’s in hell!”

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    blowtorch likes this.
  17. Frank'n'censed

18. thunderbyrd

Franky, you might just be too cool for school.

19. Frank'n'censed

T-man, thanks...reconsidering making a video of myself doing a stand up routine. Something I’ve never done, but have rehearsed for years, at the expense of others, including school grades

20. Frank'n'censed

Last night, I finally saw Hereditary...it’s a well acted & crafted piece. I really liked the young girl, she had that kind of physical presence reminiscent of the one in the classic, Night of the Hunter...great casting! Perhaps it was the distracting, I gotta take a p*ss, but it didn’t really grab me. A good, effective, soundtrack & some creative writing. Several times, I saw through the plot & found myself either laughing out loud or knowingly, smiling to myself. Admittedly, the ending was disappointing...without any giveaways, there are many well done scenes. No doubt, another viewing is in order, preferably alone.
    The arts club theatre did a great job decorating the lobby...Halloween fun!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    scrapyardblue likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.