Horror: "can you play something for us"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by braveheart, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Around here people start screaming the minute they see a banjo coming out of the case.

trapdoor2 likes this.
  2. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Another good reason to play one...no repeat requests!

jrblue and Frodebro like this.
  3. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Depends on who asks. Sometimes, the request is (unintentionally) demeaning and rude, other times it comes from sincere enthusiasm. If I can, I usually go along with it and I have a couple go-to tunes that I can execute in just about any circumstances. I'm a jerk, so sometimes I think, "Wow! I hear you're a doctor! Would you mind checking this rash?"

4. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I usually fall back on some Beatles.

5. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

Funny thread timing. House full of people over Tonight because my youngest gets married tomorrow and I get asked to play something. I did just what I posted before, I played hideaway, walk don’t run then jammed with my friend that was visiting who plays bluegrass. It went well.

6. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dang, TD, you know how to treat your woman right!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There are a handful of songs that I know the intro to, that I can do pretty convincingly that your average person would go, "oh, that sounds good!" Even though I'm really not really 'nailing' any of them from a technical perspective. "Lights" by Journey, "The Wind Cries Mary" by Hendrix, "Whole Lotta Love" by LZ, several by AC/DC, "American Girl" by Petty, etc.

getbent likes this.
  8. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

My wife could give a squat crap about listening to me play even though it's my favorite hobby/pastime. I only play originals without singing(you don't want to hear me sing) and that's why I suppose. Most folks want to hear something they recognize and can sing to.
    If I do play in front of anyone it's usually just noodling from one tune to another for a very short time but I get REALLY nervous doing so. I loathe crowds and even the thought of playing in front of one would make me projectile vomit. Even trying out a guitar or amp at Guitar Center. The one nearest to me needs a sound proof room because nobody likes "auditioning" for the staff and pimply-faced teenage shredders etc.
    Regardless, I play/write/record for myself and I'm fine with that.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    getbent and Jim622 like this.
  9. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Back during ancient times, when all I did was strum the acoustic once in a while, I had lots of solo songs, because I was solo. I was the campfire entertainment. Now, hundreds of years later, I am in a band and it is the reverse. I can’t play anything solo. I am strictly an accompanist. That’s not good. I need to put together a little solo set.

getbent likes this.
  10. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

If you do decide to expand your repertoire, may I suggest ‘Poisoning Pigeons In The Park’, also by Tom Lehrer.

11. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

That's why they wrote 'Sittin on the Dock of the Bay'. It's the perfect song because:

1.) Everybody knows it at least a little bit
    2.) That little modulation make you sound like you know something
    3.) It's drippy sentimental, which people love
    4.) If you don't really know it, you can slow it down even more, and people will just think you're being 'artsy'
    5.) It's kind of boring, so nobody will ask you to play a second song

AAT65 likes this.
  12. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I have a slightly rough version of Ram by Steve Howe which impresses people who aren’t keen guitarists! I also have a few simple classical pieces I learned as a teenager which work in the same way... or I can play a lot of Pink Floyd songs, many of which work quite well with solo guitar.
    I usually avoid invitations to sing, but will always forget the words after a few lines if I do sing a bit.

13. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Are they screaming in positive anticipation or "we're all gonna die!" in a car crash about to happen ? :confused::lol:

14. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ TDPRI Member

I can't sing, but I've been playing guitar for about 40 years, so I know the intros to about a hundred popular songs, up until the point the vocals kick in.

But honestly, for whatever reason, this happens more to me when there is a piano in the room and I'm more comfortable just noodling some arpeggios. Invariably someone will want to play Heart and Soul which gets me off the hook.

15. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Seattle isn't exactly known for producing country artists, if ya know what I mean...

Alamo likes this.
  16. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

It's easy really. If on electric, connect a couple of distortion pedals and play feedback and scratch noises. If on acoustic tap the body and play percussive noises and ambience.

If met with criticism, just say you're into music targeted towards the few, and the intellectual elite. The masses can't usually grasp it.

17. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

This is me. I sing, but lyrics or songs won’t come to my mind in this situation. In a band situation, I’m not the front man - I have been, and it’s been okay, but it takes rehearsal and results in a lot of self imposed stress.

I’m a supporting musician; throw a guitar or bass in my hand and throw a mic in front of me for singing some harmony parts, or lead vocal on the odd fully rehearsed song and I’m happy and golden. As long as someone else is running the show.

18. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Just laugh and give them the info on your next gig. If you wanna hear me, come on out!

Other than that, I always feel this way at guitar stores. When you just wanna test some gear but everyone can hear you, don't know what to play. End up playing a few crappy licks and calling it a day. It's nice when places offer a private room but still, someone is usually with me and now they're standing there staring at me with their ears.

19. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I got this from gsharper...
    I do this for MONEY.
    If I was an accountant, would you ask me to do your taxes?
    Last time I visited my mom (or grandma, if you're young enough to have one), I cleared 12 bucks!

20. aeyeq

aeyeq TDPRI Member

A good friend who is a fine player and I were talking about playing in different situations. She said many fine players* are not entertainers...and vice versa.

Now that was a bit of a joke but I do not feel comfortable unless I am a little in control of set and setting. I want good sound production, an arraignment, some rehearsal. Also, I am an ensemble player, not into solo stuff, I like bands.

No doubt has gotten in my way a few times but I gotta be me.

“Peaches in the summertime, apples in the fall.
    If I can’t have the girl I love, I won’t have none at all”

*not claiming to be a fine player.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.