Horror: "can you play something for us"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by braveheart, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

This doesn't happen as much to me as it used to when. Of course, now I'm better, as most improve over time, and then it hardly ever happens.

But I do remember back in the Summer of 2013 when I was 19 and walking out of Cintennial Park in Nashville through the McDonalds parking lot to my jeep. A black car with tinted windows was parked near me. As I walked by the window rolled down and smoke from burning marijuana rolled out. And a very nice lady said

"Hey you play guitar? Can you play my son a song? I'll give you $5."

I responded, "I don't know what to play, hang on"....."Play, anything" she said.

So I played an instrumental version of The Lemon Song for her and her son. She seemed to really enjoy it and told me I was great and gave me the $5 hahaha. To this day I wonder how high that little 6 year old boy was. I really miss living in Nashville.

thunderbyrd, P-Nutz and brookdalebill like this.
  2. Chick-N-Picker

Story two takes place at the same park, and same parking lot of McDonalds, which borders the park, while walking back to my jeep.

This time the sun had gone down already and was basically dark. Out of no where this old drunk black man said "Hey, there son. You know the song Stormy Monday?" I said "yeah"....."Play it for me" he exclaimed. So I started and he did the whole song and I played for him and played a solo in the parking lot.

When it was over he "Looked over to his other wandering buddy and said "Son of b***h! I ain't seen a white boy play like that in 40 years, man" He slurred a few more sentences then him and his friend went on about their night. I really really miss Nashville.

3. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

I have a friend who has a whole routine ready for times when someone asks "can you play me something". The first time I saw him do it I was pretty impressed. The next time I saw him do it he did exactly the same routine. When I asked him about it he said that when people used to ask him to play something on the spot he never knew what to play so he worked up a few tunes just in case.

brbadg likes this.
  4. Chick-N-Picker

Story number 3 also happened at the same park but this time I didn't make it back to the parking lot when this old, once agian drunk, white dude, who I had seen around there before called out to me. He was sitting on the ground near a little concrete wall.

He said can "I play that guitar? I haven't got to play one in so many years. I played back when I was young man." He told me his name was but everybody called him shotgun because he was shot in Vietnam. I was nervous to let him play because I didn't know if I could trust him and it was my Guild. But I didn't want him to feel like I was treating him badly or that he was a nobody or invaluable. So I let him. He used my slide and played an old blues song called "Frisco Blues". I actually recorded audio of this one and might post it. These stories seem so long ago to me yet it's only been 6/7 years. Life seemed to have so much more optimism then when looking back.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  5. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Like most of you, I keep guitar picks in my pocket, and I have quite a few songs I can play and sing without the benefit of lyrics/chord sheets.

Easy to warm up with 'Stormy Weather', and then Harry Nilsson's 'Everybody's Talkin', and then I go from there.

If somebody asks me to play something for them, I make it an audience participation drill as well.
    "Okay, I need you guys to sing on the chorus with me, so wait for my cue..."

It's all good.
    We didn't take up guitar playing in order to entertain ourselves, after all.
    :)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

100% sugar cured!

thunderbyrd and P-Nutz like this.
  7. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Turns out, once I sat down, I pretty quickly learned a number of Foo acoustics from S&B ...

getbent likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

The last year that I worked, at our Christmas party I was invited to play the guitar by about the only person who knew I played. I brought an HD-28 Martin, and played and sang about a half dozen songs for about 50 or 60 people maybe a few more, but at least that many whom I had worked with for years without them knowing I could play. When it was over, they all applauded and most of them came over and shook hands with me, and told me how much they enjoyed the little show. I thought it was a pretty cool thing to do. At lunch with a former work mate the other day, he remarked on the event and said he thought it was cool at the time, and still does.

I said earlier that the opportunity doesn't come up all that often anymore. When you're retired, and losing interest in music as I have since my son passed, you just somehow drift away from it, but I have some very cool memories.

Chick-N-Picker likes this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What I think I do:

What I actually do:

Rowdyman, willie ray and joebloggs13 like this.
  10. Toto'sDad

I'd say it is moderately difficult for the AGP to pick up on something new.

11. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

Well,then, You need to learn 10 songs you really like.That way you won't mind playing them.The reason we play music,is,well,to play music.

Toto'sDad and Big_Bend like this.
  12. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

No kidding. Way back when we were so cool because we played guitar. Everybody had one in their room or house but most could not play. People loved guitar.

Folks walk in my house now, see my guitars and they could care less, absolutely not interested in the guitars....Unless they are a musician.

In those rare moments when I get asked, I noodle around a few scales and arpeggios then play something like Hideaway. “Freddy King, you say, never heard of him”....

Buzzgrowl and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Given that the last time I experienced something like that was years ago at a high school party, I think the only real option is to play Wonderwall - poorly. It's the most appropriate choice.

14. Toto'sDad

My grandson wanted me to show him how to play guitar. So, I gave him a decent electric guitar and amp, and a lesson each week. After about a month he said, I thought you could just show me how to play grandpa, I didn't realize I would have to practice. I'm kind of busy you know, so maybe we'll just let this slide for a while. Folks on here don't believe it, and I suppose they're duty bound not to, but young people's interest in guitars is declining. With very little effort, you can play music on your phone, play games, and you don't even have to work at it, someone you know will just show you how to do it.

Buzzgrowl and Frodebro like this.
  15. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

haven t read this thread (yet), but my usual response is...'yes, but you ll hate it... i can play hotel california - but i won t'...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Kelleycaster

Kelleycaster TDPRI Member

The day before a friend of mine’s wedding, everyone was invited to come hang out at the house belonging to the bride’s family. Of course, most of us didn’t know each other, and there was a faint wave of awkwardness in the air. I grabbed a guitar and started singing songs on the tailgate of a pickup truck with my buddy, and before long everyone was outside gathered around us listening to the impromptu concert. We were just a bunch of strangers singing oldies together, and it brought the group together in a special way that wouldn’t have happened if I was concerned about hitting a wrong chord.

When someone asks you to play a song, remember that they probably aren’t tired of hearing what you’re tired of playing.

P Thought and thunderbyrd like this.
  17. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

eruption..turned up to 11. then they pay me to stop playing too :)

18. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

How's this story? You work at a guitar store and one of the younger employees there is Kirk Hammett's surfing buddy. So, Kirk comes in one day and Kenny tells him "Doug here is a great blues player, Play some blues Doug". I could barely play a 9th chord let alone any cool licks, lol. And FWIW, when Kirk isn't playing with his band he can play a lot of stuff you wouldn't expect- Blues, Jazz, Fusion, Classic Rock. He's a lot more than just a Metal guy.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  19. johnDH

johnDH Tele-Meister

If people ask for it, then they have only themselves to blame!

" I've suffered for my music.. .
    .....and now it's your turn."

willie ray and Frodebro like this.
  20. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

I’ve seen YouTube videos of talented guys playing note-perfect SRV on a toy guitar at Target...And personally witnessed two RenFest troubadours playing an astonishing rendition of “Kashmir” on tattered “renaissance” guitars with nylon strings - some days it’s not about the guitar.

staxman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.