Horror: "can you play something for us"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by braveheart, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

Eyes of Satan usually gets people to reconsider the request and maybe even leave the room.

2. pickaguitar

pickaguitar Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Even if you don't sing...tell them you are a bad singer and that you'll need their help. Then they can help you finish the song

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Great idea!.....do Wheels On The Bus Go 'Round and 'Round.....and make it a sing-a-long!

pickaguitar likes this.
  4. pickaguitar

I once tried Puff The Magic Dragon unannounced in a pub in Ireland while stopping for directions. The entire bar danced and sang it for me...free guinness for entertaining too

Alamo, nojazzhere and JL_LI like this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have a few “recital piece” things for just such occasions.
    My “pets” are Moonlight In Vermont, Satin Doll, Cherokee, Watch What Happens, The Way You Look Tonight, All The Things You Are, and around the holidays, Christmas Time Is Here.
    My Mom would ask me to “play something”, when I was young, and all I could come up with was some Dickey Betts or Billy Gibbons lick.
    I decided at an early age that I indeed should know how to play something.
    Anyways, chord melody stuff is fun, challenging and applicable to other styles.

6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I play “Desperado”. Everybody knows it. Everybody likes it. Nobody knows all the words. All of it is 5th fret or lower and manageable on even a pawn shop no name guitar. It’s easily within my vocal range in the key of C, even without warming up. The only problem is what to play next :lol: .

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    nojazzhere and pickaguitar like this.
  7. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You? Ham?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

I love these opportunities. I'll usually start with Norwegian Wood and can play for hours if wanted.

9. pickaguitar

Cool!

Make no mistake...everyone around you is thinking Hotel Cali next!
    It's up to you to avoid it :)

getbent, nojazzhere and JL_LI like this.
  10. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

If there’s gotta be a next song, I’ll do George Strait’s Troubador. Anyone who knows it laughs when I sing, “I still feel 55, most of the time”.
    That gets me to country songs I’m comfortable with.

getbent likes this.
  11. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've had the most look getting others to join in with "Where Have All the Flowers Gone," if it's an older audience. Pretty soon, the audience takes over.

If I start in, very pretentiously, with "If Ever I Would Leave You," whoever asked me to perform will laugh and walk away.

12. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

I don’t sing - so I just flat out refuse to play!

13. Northern Tele

Northern Tele Tele-Meister

But I'm not interested in singing. I can sing, pretty well actually I just find it really grotesque for some reason.

Some musicians are all about the song, the singer songwriter types.. some view songs as arbitrary structures to play over and are more about improvising.

I was always interested in making the guitar talk. .that is the deal for me. If I am not at a paying gig and somebody wants me to play. .they are just going to have to accept what I dish out.

14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Times have changed....I grew up in Berkeley CA, and was born in '62. My Dad was a cool research physicist who worked in high energy particle physics, but
    he was also somewhat on the edge of "the scene" just by dint of living in Berkeley and working at Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory. So, anyway, he took some folk guitar
    classes for super cheap. We used to go the Freight and Salvage for coffee house folk music. I also played guitar even though I was just a little kid. His goal was to get
    better than me when he took those folk classes, I think, but he never quite got there because I was always learning faster than he was.

But the cool part of it all was that he would throw these potluck/hootenanny parties at our house and invite all kinds of people ranging from rich professors down to total hippie riff-raff,
    and everyone would bring food and their musical instruments. We would all eat together and then make a big circle in the backyard and play music. Guitars, fiddles, bongos, harmonicas,
    whatever people brought. This was great for me because at the age of 10 I was already learning how to fit in with other musicians, and learning how to quickly cotton on to a song
    I'd never learned before.

The point of how things have changed is that these kinds of parties were really common back when I was a kid. You didn't need that deer in the headlights feeling of being put on the spot
    because there were a bunch of musicians there besides yourself, and it was going to be a big, fun jam, and nobody was judging anybody, either. Nowadays it's rare for there to be more
    than one musician, and the spirit of it all being fun rather than meeting some kind of expectation perhaps has been lost a bit. I dunno, rose colored glasses and all that....

getbent, NBS2005, P Thought and 2 others like this.
  15. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

yeah,play some Justin Bieber....ahm ..what?

16. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Holic

any John Prine song will do.

Stringbanger likes this.
  17. julmust

julmust TDPRI Member

It depends, but usually just some random noodling, after a few seconds, as they cant recognize the melody, they stop asking for more, and lose interest. :)

18. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

Right on, GB! Thanks for putting that song in my head and on my playlist this gray Northwest Friday. "Fallin' In Love Again" is pure pop perfection and great use of maj/min 7ths--love it!.

getbent likes this.
  19. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Usually someone else wants to sing "Hallelujah." I find the chords on my phone and play accompaniment. If left to my own devices for some reason I usually play "Waterloo Sunset." I do sing, and I don't care what kind of guitar it is if it will stay in tune for 10 minutes.

You can tune a nylon string to an open chord and play slide with a table knife. It's fun, sounds great.

20. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I’m in the Toto’s Dad camp. I’m fearless when it comes to playing in front of people. One reason is that I started playing acoustic at 23, and three years later I was playing solo in bars. I was still a hack of course, and I probably still am. But, that was an invaluable experience that cured me of stage fright forever!

By the time I hit 30, I probably knew close to 100 songs by heart, words and chords. That repertoire has diminished dramatically over the years, but I still have between 15-25 songs that I can play at the drop of a hat.

You almost have to be a singer in these impromptu situations, unless you’re a guitar virtuoso, and you can dazzle them with your instrumental competency.

getbent, NBS2005 and P Thought like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.