Horror: "can you play something for us"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by braveheart, Jan 17, 2020.

1. NBS2005

NBS2005 TDPRI Member

Can't Find My Way Home. Next would be a Lyle or Townes song. After that you're getting my alt country set list; a mix of my originals and favourite covers. I'll keep playing until asked to stop or read that the room's had enough. I'll play for anyone who asks me ;-)

Bob M and MilwMark like this.
  2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I am the same way.

I was just singing "Celebrate Good Times Come On!" while I was making lunch. I was trying to get my daughters to sing the back round vocals but they weren't interested. It then hit me that I don't know the songs on Sunday's set list, but know the words of this old song from the 80's. Go figure.

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  3. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

Life by the drop!
    Hey, I don't like playing under the gun either. And people make dumb requests. Do you know any Bee Gees? So you break into "You don't know what it's like".
    Just because people make dumb requests doesnt mean we have to fully honor them.

4. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

If they request life by the drop and aren't handing me a perfectly tuned 12 string, I'm going to ask how they even know that song.......

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  5. Northern Tele

Northern Tele Tele-Meister

I think the real issue is whether you sing or not. If you do..it's really no issue if somebody hands you an acoustic guitar you can just sing a song and accompany yourself.

Many primarily electric guitar players don't sing or sing very little, are used to being part of a band and so when the play me something situation happens..it can be a little weird .

My solution is to play a blues..so it sounds like something structured and you can play some lead..then play an actual instrumental blues like Hideaway or Memphis etc. then you can ease into some jazzy stuff.

Everything I can play on electric I can play on acoustic so no big deal..just have something ready.

braveheart likes this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Lol.

The people asking to play something really are asking for you to "play me something I know".

Have a few popular radio play melody riffs you can show off with and everyone is satisfied.

JL_LI and Manual Slim like this.
  7. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

I'm not sure if we're in agreement or not.
    I'm saying I take suggestions, but I'm gonna play what I want either way. :lol:

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  8. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

I'll Cry Instead, by the Beatles.

9. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    I don't understand why it is a problem at all. If you don't want to play, then just don't. Why feel obligated? I can play lots of songs at the drop of a hat and have lots of singer-songwriter material from doing that kind of thing years ago. Still, there are times I get asked to bring my guitar (or play what is on hand there) and I'm just not in the mood to be the 'entertainer'. I just say nah,let someone else play, I'd like to be entertained today.
    There's enough in my life that I 'have' to do so I try to be in control of what I 'want' to do.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  10. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

A little chord melody like, possibly, round midnight or moonlight in Vermont. Maybe a fast jazz blues chord progression complete with walking bass.

Flakey likes this.
  11. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I'm sort of in-between here. I do not suffer from stage-fright, and I am not a deer-in-the-headlights kind of guy. BUT - I have never been interested in being a solo singer/player, and I don't practice that act.

When I practice, it's just rhythm. I will listen to an old Stax or Atlantic record, and just lay back and play that groove for a half-an-hour, trying every voicing I can dream up.

When people ask me to play at a party, I usually play for a minute or two and then try to find a guy who WANTS to be the hit of the party, and hand him the guitar. That is a whole different scene from what I do.

I often wonder if the third-chair second-violin of the Vienna Symphony goes to parties and everybody says "hey, dude - play something!"

Marc Morfei likes this.
  12. surf_jimi

surf_jimi TDPRI Member

Sometimes it’s a blessing to be left handed. Nobody ever has a lefty guitar for me. :)

MrGibbly, Flaneur and Sanity Inn like this.
  13. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I never stand in with bands unless they're good friends of mine. Generally, my opinion is, if you're not paying me, then you play the gig.

14. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

To paraphrase the great Michael Hedges, relaxation is part of your playing, is part of your instrument.

15. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

Embryonic Journey, Fur Elise, or Two Guitars.

16. pickaguitar

pickaguitar Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

This is why I turn to a station...ANY station and just play.
    The more remote the music the better as it teaches me to ADAPT!

I practice going from Carpenters to Pantera to Middle eastern to Prince to James Taylor to Dr Dre to Reinhardt to Zeppelin to classical...PLAY IT ALL!!!

I love requests and NOT knowing them...that way I can do a new creative version. Then you can get your audience to help you finish the song!

Harry Styron likes this.
  17. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Took some advice here; went to the basement and learned My Hero off Skin and Bones ... thanks!

pickaguitar likes this.
  18. fnkmstr

fnkmstr Tele-Meister

My favorite request quote. "Do you know Big Wheels?. Sorry Ma'am, we don't." Play Proud Mary later in the evening. "Liar, i know you play Big Wheels!"

19. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

I usually play Bob Dylan's 'The Hurricane' then segue into 'American Pie' and finish with
    'Bohemian Rhapsody' as an encore. :rolleyes:

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Reading replies, it sounds to me like the greatest issue (fear?) is singing. (or not) I would remind everyone of guys like Dylan, Knopfler, Tom Waits, etc......none of those guys are gonna be performing with the Metropolitan Opera anytime soon, but they can sure get up and entertain an audience. Learn a Leonard Cohen song.....he's certainly no great singer. (well, especially now :( ) And, as far as asking a painter to paint a door?.....that's not entertaining. Doctors get asked medical questions at gatherings.....lawyers get asked for legal advice.....even architects get asked about construction ideas. If you REALLY don't want to do it....just DON'T! But don't expect people to understand. ;)

Flaneur, P-Nutz, Wildcard_35 and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.