Horror: "can you play something for us"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by braveheart, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I play every day, I don't really care what others think of my playing although it's nice to receive compliments and impress people. Playing at any time just feels like a routine part of the day. I enjoy listening to my playing as i'm playing so i'd be as much playing for myself as for whoever wanted to shut up and listen. The hard part is having people interested enough to sit through a few songs without checking their phone or talking but if they do that I don't let it bother me. A lot of people just aren't that into music and cant relax and enjoy a few songs without their minds wondering.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  2. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

I always play “Paradise” or “You Can’t Always Get What You Want”. That usually satisfies people enough for me to put down the guitar and enjoy the party.

braveheart likes this.
  3. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

that's exactly me...I don't know any songs anymore...give me 2 beers and I'm back on track...

nojazzhere, Deathray and ElJay370 like this.
  4. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

when you're a singer or can sing..it's waaaay easier....people want to hear songs...

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Really? You expect me to know a whole song? That's just nuts!

Oh, I probably don't know all the words, so I will stop mid way and apologize.

To play? Stones Wild Horses, or Johnny Lang Leaving To Stay. That is, if I cannot talk my way out of it.

Preacher and braveheart like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It was supposed to have been an impromptu thing, but well, we know all about that don't we? Doesn't matter if it was staged or not, the way Russel Crowe handled it is the way I've always handled it. When my wife and I were just starting out, they used to have this talent contest on Friday nights at a big market in town. There was a lull in the show, and they asked if anyone wanted to come up? My wife asked, why don't you go up there? The challenge was answered and in less than a heartbeat, I was climbing up on the stage. I sang one song, in my own style, not trying to be Merle or Johnny which most of the contestants were doing, and won the event for the evening. We got enough groceries as the prize to almost fill up the back of our Falcon pickup. To boot, my wife asked for and got a brand new mop! Folks, you can't make this kind of stuff up!

I had heard one of the band sing Don't be Angry With me Darlin' on their little local TV show, I knew the song, and figured it would work out better if I did something they knew, so that's what I did.

7. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Holic

slide on a nylon....?

8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

If you play guitar it's probably a good idea to learn 5 or 10 songs all the way through just for situations like this arising. Make them songs you and others love and pick full sounding songs that work well with one acoustic. If you play them every day then its no stress to play them on request. In time you will be able to play them in your sleep or while holding a conversation and deciding what you want for dinner.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  9. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Mac Gayden invented slide with a wah pedal, slide on nylon FTW!

I have always played Willin

I got the exact thing yesterday! I played "Fallin in Love" (hamilton joe frank & reynolds) and then an old Linda Ronstadt song "You tell me that I'm falling down"

love the line 'I am exactly what I am, and not the way you'd like to see me be' and I love singing that line.

Half the peeps who ask you to play don't actually want to hear you play, the half that do, half, expect failure. Sing loud, sing proud... why not?

10. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Maybe not. I did a slide blues on a five string banjo for a group of school teachers once, though. Where there's a will, there's a way. :D:lol:

Alamo, P Thought and braveheart like this.
  11. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Play "Uncontrollable Urge" by Devo. Somebody -- maybe everybody -- else will jump in and do the singing.

Flakey and Flaneur like this.
  12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Out of the blue, I often get stuck because "out of context" I can't remember words a lot of the time! If I'm on stage I'm fine.
    So...Often I just play Lenny or Little Wing.

braveheart likes this.
  13. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I am a jazzer. I play what I play and then say that it is a tune that no one has heard of before. Usually get a lot of nods and ah-hahs. Either that or I play a 12 bar blues.

14. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

People expects some Rockabilly... and I say "Some Led Zep" and then everybody awaits for Stairway to heaven... then is not: I usually play (and ****ty sing) "Your time is gonna come", "Over the hills and far away" and "Bron-Y-Aur-Stomp" from Led Zeppelin...

If not, some Elvis or Hank tunes

I play in an acoustic duo so there is a lot of songs that already do play

15. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Unaccompanied singing, anyone? We recently added 'Jesus is on the mainline' and/or 'John the Revelator' to our set list. Great, for audience participation stuff, as a change of pace, or if the house guitar isn't holding up......:)

braveheart likes this.
  16. pickaguitar

pickaguitar Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Everything I write for my band...the chording, melody, etc gets composed on an acoustic or even ukulele. If I can't find it there first I probably won't be playing it on my electric later

Chunkocaster likes this.
  17. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

Fire and Rain, or You got A Friend then put it down..

LutherBurger, getbent and pickaguitar like this.
  18. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Go straight to Slayer riffs.

19. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That's when I fake my Norteños jams..

getbent likes this.
  20. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Melissa, Bell Bottom Blues or Cowgirl.

I'm like @Toto'sDad i guess, I actually enjoy those times. The more spontaneous, the better.

DonM and Toto'sDad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.