1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

horn nut

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by megalo82, Oct 19, 2020.

1. megalo82

megalo82 TDPRI Member

hi all
    a client come in my shop with a bunch of horn slices , i have to cut some traditional sardinian knifes handles and i was thinking if the horn is much different from bone, what will sound an horn nut?

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Beware of very foul smells when you cut it. I had a very bad experience of using a hair comb made from a wild mountain bullock which I brought home from China one trip (the comb not the bullock!) :lol:

DC

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. megalo82

megalo82 TDPRI Member

The smell is very bad, anytime I cut horn I have to let the windows opened for 2 days!

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

Don't even think about it.. it's not worth considering... gonna be NO difference.

r

5. Ronkirn

I once took in a troubled Teen... other than mischief, the only thing he loved was guitars, so I used that to guide him to what I hope would be a less troubled future..

all the entry level training went well.. he was loving it... then one day, I introduced him to making a nut....out of Bone... the smell caused him to hurl... he never could get over it... so I taught him to make it with purely hand tools, slowly...

Personally, I love the aroma.. it keeps thew wife out of the shop.. specially when blended with the fine bouquet of a Cuban... :D

r

crazydave911 and BigDaddyLH like this.
  6. megalo82

megalo82 TDPRI Member

I’m sorry, I can’t understand, no difference with bone or no good?

7. Ronkirn

Sorry, my first language is Hillbilly/Redneck.. :p the difference between the sound resulting from a Bone and/or a Horn nut is insignificant. While, were you to have access to a Acoustic sound lab like found at Lawrence Livermore, JPL, CERN or similar research lab, a difference could be detected, there isn't a chance of it being significant enough to rise above the threshold of noticeability when the guitar is used as intended.

"when the guitar is used as intended." . . . that is the criteria against which any examination should be conducted.. these guys that declare a guitar unacceptable, or acceptable when they're using it in a manner in which it WAS NOT designed are just plain .. well just think about it.. I suggest it's like having your buds push ya around the block in a Porsche you're considering buying to determine how it performs. :rolleyes:

If you do something to a guitar and no one "hears" a difference unless you tell them, "Hey, I installed a (whatever) and now it sounds brighter, or something.... don't ya hear it?" then it's almost certainly your cognitive bias that's "hearing" it, and not your ears.

If you're having problems and issues with something you're doing to your guitar.. think about it.. will putting up with the headache actually be worth whatever you expect? Be Honest.. but if ya wanna really unique looking nut, look at knife scales (that's the rough materials used to make knife handles).. there's some pretty unique looking "stuff"..

Ron

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

It's a bit softer than bone, so that could be complimentary, or negative depending on what you want. It polishes easy, so it can make a really handsome nut. I put a black one on a 30's Kalamazoo, and it looks really nice. On a solidbody, I'd probably stay with bone, unless for some reason I wanted a softer nut, to maybe add some open string decay or something. Or, heck, it might just look very cool in a calico or tortise like pattern, matching some other tortise items.

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. megalo82

megalo82 TDPRI Member

il
    :lol: it's not your fault, is my self-learned english that need to be improved!

ok, so i will try, since i'm a beginner, i'm not looking for fancy stuff, but i need a nut because i'm building a tele, so i will build the nut too!

daily horn selection, tomorron i will have a lot of kgs to cut!

IMG_3801.jpg

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. megalo82

megalo82 TDPRI Member

no, i'm not that good, is just that i need a nut and i have horn! if will not sound good i will look for bone!

11. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

My humble suggestion is to record your guitar with whatever kind of nut it has in it now and do it again after you have made the new nut. I suggest doing simple open strings (since the nut is in play on open strings) and be sure to use the same strings, mic, recorder, settings, yadda yadda.

Then play the clips side by side, listen carefully. If possible do some blind listening, maybe an ABX test.

If you really want to have fun, send me clips of the same notes on the same strings with the two different nuts - I have a waveform analyzing software and can tell you if it senses any difference.

I recently changed the stock "plastic" nut and saddle on a mid priced classical guitar and did exactly what I just described - recorded open strings and ran the spectrum analyzer. The results are post at the Acoustic Subforum of TDPRI.

ps - I use the smell of bone as one way to confirm that is what I've got when in doubt.

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. megalo82

megalo82 TDPRI Member

unfortunately i can't try this comparison, the guitar right now is just a piece of wood!
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/body-milling-first-attempt.1051506/

when i will have enough of spare time, i will try with one of my other guitar and i will send you the clip!

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I was sawing on a bone but once and it was making an awful squealing noise. I called my wife downstairs to have her listen to the noise and told her "see if you ever kill me and try to dispose of my body this is the noise you'll have to put up with." We laughed. We watch too much true crime TV.

Personally I don't mind the smell but can't say I enjoy it. I usually run it down to my pencil line on the spindle sander held with a nice rubber gripped pair of pliers. It reminds me of going to the dentist.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    crazydave911 and tubegeek like this.
  14. megalo82

megalo82 TDPRI Member

i am cutting right now, the slices are thin so this time i can use a 2mm 3 flutes bit, running fast and no smell at all, also very clean cut!

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I do all my rough shaping on the belt sander. Sanding bone smells like burning hair, which is more or less is.

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have a puppy who's teething. G*d save the stairs going up to the second level. I don't leave guitars out any more. We got some antler for her. I was really surprised at how hard it was. It certainly wouldn't wear very fast but being so hard, it may make open strings sound too bright.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.