1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hope you guys in the south are staying warm!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BobbyZ, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

that ain't no pool , that's an ice skating rink !

BorderRadio likes this.
  2. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

I’m in South Carolina, 64 degrees.

3. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

I just checked, and we've warmed up quite a bit. 10F and feels like 10F. Lotsa snow coming tonight, but this is the last of it.

Then maybe we can open the pool. :lol:

[​IMG]

puddin and Big_Bend like this.
  4. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It's easy to get through the weather when you have salt trucks, snow plows and energy infrastructure set up for cold weather. If you don't have those you just have to wait it out. Hope everyone gets through it.

5. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

Just came back inside from cleaning off the truck. Not that I can get down the hill, but because it's going to snow and ice again tonight and I didn't want to clean off six layers at one time. Looking forward to bicycle/motorcycle weather.

6. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

Losing power and heat when it's freezing outside sucks pretty quickly.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The power is staying on, and the water is running.
    Still have to boil it.
    Looking forward to the weekend, and a return to, uh, normal.

fendertx and P Thought like this.
  8. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

I work in a shop that repairs gas and steam turbines from all over the country and sometimes outside our country. I expect to see our Texas customers start buying the cold weather packages that we see on turbines that routinely operate in cold climates.

On another note, the home generator I installed for Hurricane season worked like a champ. Never thought it would save my bacon during a Houston winter.

BigDaddyLH likes this.
  9. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

BY far, this has zero to do with the issues in Texas. Their issue is energy was allowed to be deregulated. No one confers with the other, they are all an entity within and little cooperation between. A messy situation

koen and fendertx like this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Now if only the natural gas, coal and nuclear plants invested in cold weather measures.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/17/climate/texas-blackouts-disinformation.html

fendertx likes this.
  11. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Sader, family pets can perish.

12. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Canada truly is a workers' paradise. I can read it!

The punchline is, despite misinformation, the state’s widespread electricity failure was largely caused by freezing natural gas pipelines.

billy logan likes this.
  14. bonzo898

bonzo898 Tele-Meister

Wild couple of days here in north Houston. Escalated very quickly. Power was down about 48 hours for us, just came back early this morning. Nearly lost water pressure but not quite. Still on boil order. Hosted family/friends on and off who still don’t have power or water or both. Busted water pipes everywhere.

We have overall been fortunate and had plenty of food, water, etc. Still a miserable time piled under blankets/layers in your frigid house all day trying to keep your small kids warm.

15. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Many of the turbine decks in Texas are exposed because they make more power that way. Housing a turbine helps in winter but robs power in the summer, so they go with the most bang for the buck and prioritize summer usage.
    Philosophical change will be required to get them to spend money for the rare winter storms we see ( don’t hold your breathe on that ;) )

teleman1 likes this.
  16. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

81 in Tampa today ... sending warm thoughts. if that doesn't work, let your anger and jealousy keep you warm.

Rocky058 likes this.
  17. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It was 12° here this morning. The sun is out and all is well here in Castle Rock, Colorado.

18. Mission6_OG

Mission6_OG Tele-Meister

One thing that is definitely different about our cold compared to you guys up north, imagine it being right at freezing temperature but you have a couple water faucets that are barely cracked open and the wetness is reaching to your bones. Now you guys deal with a lot colder temperatures and also a lot worse wind than we do. But it’s the humidity and moisture that gets us. Also, the fact that Louisiana weather is about as steady as a teenage girl who’s hormones are just raging out of whack all the while she’s suffering from bipolar, ocd, ADHD, and terrets, all at the same time. At 2 am it’s 7 degrees, 6:30 it’s 65 and sunny then at noon it’s raining sideways and warm then just as you sneeze, your windshield wipers are frozen to your truck and there’s a ladies Yorkie that was trying to run across the road that got frozen in midair while giving birth to baby orangutans. That’s about the best description of Louisiana weather I can give you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.