Hope Everyone Enjoys the Weekend!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bob M, May 25, 2020.

1. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Given all that has happened I hope everyone can get outside and enjoy the long weekend. We had my daughter and son over, smoked some ribs and drank some wine. Also played some music. We mostly social distanced-it was the first time we were together since early March. I'm playing cowboy chords on a newly acquired SJ200 and my son is jamming on a '76 D18 I've had since new.

joeme.jpg

2. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Have a safe and happy Memorial Day!
    We’re doing a very non traditional meal for Memorial Day
    I started looking for a brisket over a week ago and nobody had any. I thought the new containers come in and there will briskets to be had. NOPE! No brisket

Tonight will be sesame encrusted fresh tuna, ginger coconut rice, garden salad, and either broccoli or zucchini. A lemon cake for dessert

Bob M likes this.
  3. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

We all need to destress … and remember .

boredguy6060, Bob M and nojazzhere like this.
  4. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

It has been pretty crazy here so far. The beaches are open and the crowds are back in force. They had a impromptu dance/rage/takeover downtown one night. Several shootings, etc. Kids, bikers (this is normally a bike week...which was cancelled of course...but many came anyway), crazy people.

We're miles away from all that. Not going near it (and wouldn't even if there wasn't a pandemic). We had family over, I cooked steaks on the grill, Hasselback potatoes, fresh green beans and watermelon.

We would normally head over to the cemetery to pay our respects, plant some flags, etc...but since we moved, the family plot is 500mi away. Flag's out, I'll pick the banjo on the front porch if it don't get too hot.

5. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

All day rain here, so it’s indoor sports time. I was gonna grill some burgers, but thats out now... Maybe I’ll fry those shrimp. I’m frying up my first batch of fresh okra from the garden, so while the fry pot is hot...

Or maybe my wife has other plans - looks like she’s going to sauté the shrimp with ajo and do shrimp tacos. She made crema last night. I’m game for that.

Happy Memorial Day!

Bob M and nojazzhere like this.
  6. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

At 3:00PM, musicians across the country are going outdoors to play Taps. I’ll be one of them.

djh22, Bob M, tery and 1 other person like this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I hope everyone remembers the reason for the holiday. Please keep in mind.....the sacrifices our fathers and grandfathers made to protect our way of life will mean little if we "throw it all away" by being foolish just for the sake of "partying". The inconveniences we're putting up with are nothing compared with what they dealt with.
    BTW.....I put out my U.S. flag this morning in commemoration. Anyone else? Best wishes, all. ;)
    ADDED....I didn't mean to slight our mothers' and grandmothers' sacrifices. They did just as much as anyone. Sorry.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  8. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Well said:)

I saw this quote the other day, “some generations are called to war - you’re being called to sit on the couch”

tery, djh22, Bob M and 2 others like this.
  9. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My U.S. flag is at half-mast until noon per U.S. Code Title 4. I am remembering my brothers and sisters-at-arms whom made the ultimate sacrifice.

tery, djh22 and nojazzhere like this.
  10. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

My family had many members who served in WW2.
    Several including my father were decorated with a Purple Heart. My father was a Warrant Officer 2 and also was awarded a Bronze Star.
    The only surviving relative Of WW2 is an uncle who is now 89 years old. He and I have been very close all of my life. He is now at home very ill being cared for around the clock by his three daughters and one son and their spouses. He refuses to go to the hospital because he doesn’t want to die alone among strangers. Miraculously he seems to be improving and his kids are optimistic. He has been ill for 8 days.
    I have been calling everyday to get an update. We have not seen each other in over 20 years because we live several thousand miles apart, but we have spoken by phone at least once a week.
    This weekend I can’t seem to get him off my mind. The thought of losing the last of my dads brothers and sisters is very sad indeed.
    I’m hoping this a Memorial Day passes with just the memories of those already gone to think about and not having any new additions to the list, especially this one.

11. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

DADGAD, tery and nojazzhere like this.
  12. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

13. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

mem.jpg

nojazzhere and tery like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.