Honeytube - subminiature conversion of a Danelectro Honeytone

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by blackcorvo, Sep 12, 2019 at 9:40 AM.

1. blackcorvo

blackcorvo TDPRI Member

Hey there! I've done this a while back now (last year in fact), but I thought it'd be appreciated here.

I've had this lovely burgundy Honeytone amp for the longest time, but eventually the circuit in it failed. A while afterwards, I got some subminiature tubes I started playing with, and the thought of putting those inside the Honeytone sparked the begining of this project.

Here's all pictures and info from the process of making it:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1v7-ppCu_mGSNfZdqfjUrZtzhPhdUXQ48

It was even featured in Hack-A-Day!

https://hackaday.com/2018/02/19/tiny-guitar-amp-rebuilt-with-tiny-tubes/

Since then, I've swapped the high-voltage DC-DC converter board for a less noisy and smaller board, and I'm working on putting another subminiature amp inside a Benson AM4 (a cheap clone of the Marshall MS4).

stevemc, djh22, FenderLover and 4 others like this.
  2. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Bravo!! That sounds fantastic!

3. symbiotic

symbiotic TDPRI Member

WOW! Job well done, sounds great!

4. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

Fine Job, @blackcorvo ! I dig your HoneyTube ! It's a challenge to enter all that stuff in a so small amp casing ... :cool::cool::cool:

Is the small speaker worth the transformation ? I mean : is the sound and the power decent with it ?

This gives me ideas... :twisted: :rolleyes:

That said, I'm not sure that a standalone circuit (= directly powered by mains) would enter in a such small box o_O... But why not testing it, after all ? Honeytone maps can be found used for cheap... :)

I made one amp like yours but a bit bigger to be standalone : The RadioTone...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-tbln

stevemc, djh22, milocj and 1 other person like this.
  5. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

@blackcorvo,

Here's the sound of the Radio-Tone with my Squier Std Strat and a touch of EHX Cathedral Reverb :

I made tests with smaller speakers, but the results were not convincing... What about the speaker of the Honeytone, supposing you re-used it for your Honey Tube ?

-tbln

blackcorvo likes this.
  6. blackcorvo

blackcorvo TDPRI Member

@tubelectron That's an amazing build you did there! The style reminds me of the WEM Westminster (http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/britamps/watkins/westminster/west26.html) and Clubman amps (http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/britamps/watkins/clubman/club11.html), which I dig a lot!

I was originally gonna fit a power transformer inside the Honeytube, but quickly realized the internal space wouldn't allow for it, so I opted for an external 12v DC brick, and a DC-DC step-up board to give me my B+.

For the Benson amp I originally tried a parallel-single-ended ECL84 output with a 2-stage preamp, but it didn't work out. Hisses and whines like it's asking to be put down :( so what I wanna do next, is maybe doing a mix of a 12AQ5 and subminiature tubes for the preamp.

7. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

Sure you can dig the WEMs ! One day, I'll built something with that look too... :cool::cool::cool:

I guess, yes ! :)

-tbln

8. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

I never used submini tubes, I should...

Do you have a sound sample of your Honey Tube so I can hear how it sounds ?

-tbln

9. blackcorvo

blackcorvo TDPRI Member

It's the first link on the Hack-A-Day article:
    I start with the 8-inch speaker in the background, then I unplug it and use the internal one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.