Honeymoon Reviews

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by alnico357, Aug 12, 2020.

An objective reviewer should wait how long?

1. 1 day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1 week

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. 1 month

25 vote(s)
    62.5%
  4. 6 months

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  5. 1 year

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  6. Just before it goes up for sale on Reverb

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

How long should a new gear acquisition be in a reviewer's possession before the review? Some are done the day they are acquired. The honeymoon is in full swing. Objectivity may be nonexistent.

Steerforth likes this.
  2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I reckon no one ever buys anything substantial that they don’t at least initially like the idea of. Hence, the reason we are discussing what the cooling off period before reviewing it should be.
    However, tastes change over time in some cases so you can’t wait too long.

I’ll admit I was a Stratocaster man for years. I’ve owned half a dozen or so and now I don’t have any. It doesn’t mean any of my strats were bad. I just don’t care for them any more.

In the poll, I said six months but that is me thinking about a new acoustic guitar. I think I could have an opinion on acoustic guitar strings within a couple weeks.

It depends.

Telenator and Steerforth like this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I say one month is a good cool off period after a week the glow is still there, especially if it’s expensive and you are justifying it

tah1962 and Steerforth like this.
  4. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

It depends on how long the reviewer has been playing, how old they are, and how many guitars they own.

In my 60s, with 20 or so guitars, and having played for many decades, my reviews are fairly objective. I’ll recognize flaws and point them out.

But if I had written a review when I was a kid, when I owned only one guitar, and had just acquired my first good guitar, there would have been no objectivity. I was in love.

5. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

HD-Seal20200705_160221.jpg You're making sense there - you should have (and use) it a while for the best review.
    Unfortunately, I have to deliver a tool review (for a home improvement supply company that won't be named here) w/in 3 weeks of receipt - and it usually takes that long just to find a project, photograph it in use and send an explanation of the good & bad features.
    I'd like more time, to see how things really wear in or last - a set of gloves, for example were okay when I first used 'em, but at 6mo, several holes & tears - not reflected in my report.
    fwiw - the report Does say I just had the item a few weeks...

Peace - Deeve

Steerforth likes this.
  6. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

^^^+1^^^

7. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I bought a shiny sparkly guitar a few years back that I'd been eyeing in the local store for about a year. Played it a few times, oooh, ahh, bought it, and within two months, maybe less, I hated it. Sold it shortly thereafter. Should I have known better? Maybe, but it was unlike all of my other guitars and I didn't quite grasp it until I brought it home and really started to use it. Worst problem? Way too heavy. Others? I didn't really like the 24.75" scale. All my other ones are 25.5. Al-THOUGH, I subsequently bought a 25" scale guitar from the same shop and I still like it a lot (semi-hollow, really light). It had a Bigsby type trem. That was OK I guess, but I started to realize that having 3 types of trems on different guitars made going between them a bit challenging. etc. etc. Anyway, now I know... I don't like guitars that are that heavy.

8. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I never brought a guitar home I didn’t at least like. And if the honeymoon isn’t memorable, just make the split right then and there. That said, my opinions of all of them have changed over time. So when is a review valid? Since a review is nothing more than an opinion, it’s valid any time. My opinion of all of my guitars except one has gotten better over time. I’ve sometimes changed things I wasn’t quite happy with or discovered things about them that were entirely unexpected. The one where my opinion hasn’t changed is my FCS ‘69 Stratocaster. It was love at first sight and it’s still love. And she really was the ugly chick. Heavy relic that has really grown in me. The thing about that is that there’s nothing like her anywhere.

9. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

All reviews, whether 1 day, 1 week, 1 month or 1 year old, are all a load of subjective nonsense affected by dozens of variables.

But we all luv them and indulge in them..... just as long as we understand it's all nonsense.

10. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I got rid of a 12 string acoustic a week after I got it home. Always wanted one, thought I would be David Crosby. I wasn't and didn't like it a bit. Every time I think about a Ric 12 string now I remind myself I don't play 12 string. I think you know fairly soon, but I've also had some sit in the closet for a long time before I sold them so maybe the day before you list it is the right answer.

11. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think post the review whenever you feel like it. You can always add on to the thread later. I like to see reviews hot off the presses, right after receipt. Face it, we all enjoy GAS and the excitement of the hunt or we wouldn't be on TDPRI!

12. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Depends on the experience level of the reviewer with the item being reviewed. If you have played a variety of guitars for 20 years you can probably put up a fair review of a new guitar in a week or so and you'd have enough basis to separate your personal likes/dislikes from actual quality and characteristics of the guitar. If it's your first rodeo an early review doesn't mean that much - you are probably still enamored or maybe disappointed and your review is less useful. If you are reviewing reliability early reviews don't mean anything. That's the kind of thing that needs to wait.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  13. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I used to write motorcycle ride reviews along with associated products and methods of working on motorcycles.
    It was difficult, as you say, to offer up a meaningful review in such a short period of time.
    So, I'd sit back until one or two of the staffers rode the bike and then offered their views. Then I'd take one for the team, and do a cross country ride and write a "long term wrap-up" expressing the finer points of what a bike was like to live with after 4 or 5,000 miles.
    My favorite review was a Honda VTX 1300 that I managed to run on the Bonneville Salt Flats (112 mph) during Motorcycle Speed Week completely by chance. I then rode it through the Sierras where I ground the aluminum floor boards flat on the edges through 80 miles of canyon carving.
    When I dropped the bike off to Honda caked with salt and ridden hard for 4,000 miles the guy exclaimed, what did you do with this bike?! I replied, "I tested it thoroughly in all kinds of conditions. Our readers deserve a thorough review of the bike's capabilities!" Big fun!
    To your point, you need enough time with something to really properly review it!

Deeve likes this.
  14. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I have found that you need to live with gear for a while before making a conclusion. You need to hear a piece of gear in combination with other things, and at different volumes, with different settings, and especially if you have the opportunity to try it in a band situation with other instruments. An amp that sounds great with one guitar might sound different with another guitar. Or at least need the EQ set in a different way. Same with pedals. I have had pedals that sound good with a Vox amp, but way different with a Fender amp. A while back I was churning through lots of used gear, buying/selling/trading, wanting to try lots of different things to see what I liked best. Several times I made the mistake of getting rid of something too quickly, and not really thoroughly testing it out in combination with other pieces of gear. A couple items I really regret getting rid of. More experienced players will be better at hearing exactly what a piece of gear is doing. But in general we should try to avoid making quick decisions on things.

15. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

The only things I make sure to click past / not read are the NGD posts where the OP has merely ORDERED a guitar sight unseen but still wants to regale us with tales of what a great purchase, etc.

alnico357 likes this.
  16. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

A month seems about right to make an objective judgement about a subjective opinion. I never even consider a 1-star review of anything, because it's probably sour grapes or a troll. I read the 5-star reviews last - hyperbole lives there, as well as some truth. I find the 4-star reviewers to be the most honest and realistic. I read those first.

17. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

My hypothesis has always been that there are three kinds of people who write reviews:

1) Those whose job it is and get paid to do it (and are probably pandering to advertisers)

2) Those who are royally cheesed off about something

3) Those who are in the honeymoon period and want the validation that comes with fawning over their own purchase

This hypothesis is very well on its way to being regarded as fact (at least by me!).

In short, reviews are essentially worthless, unless you have some specific question about an item or device's objective capabilities, which might be covered in a review. But, as a measure of something's actual worth and what it might mean to you?...

Yeah, absolutely worthless.

18. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I always give a new guitar or amp +/- a month. That goes for reviews or deciding whether I'm gonna upgrade or change components.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.