Honest-to-goodness wear.. She’s now bearing small marks of our journey together..

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dreamingtele, Jan 19, 2020.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

So when I first rescued this from a pawnshop a year ago, after cleaning it up, it was a closet queen. A few marks here and there but otherwise its what I would call, A-minus condition.

After a year, ive added some buckle rash (as I wore a Levis one time and the pocket rivets dug into the body), nitro paint dulling in areas, some bumps, but otherwise still clean. I wipe it after sets, rehearsals, and even after practicing. I have sweaty hands and it just mucks up any guitar and hardware so I religiously clean my tools.

i never go gorilla on it, and I like my guitars looking shiny and new. But then again, I also like relic looking guitars, as long as its done really well. Looks like im winning based on CS prices for relics.

At 16 years young, now shes still looking very clean but well loved and cared for, and bears the marks of both our journey together. She never looked better as she does now in my opinion.

Given that this is pre-2012 AVRI, i honestly dont know if it will age like the guitars that are truly nitro, and I may never get to see it, but Imma play this like a tele should be played.

Still so hard to capture on photos though

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Dings, scratches and scrapes (honestly acquired) are what give a guitar some character IMHO! I own a couple of expensive American guitars and much though I enjoy admiring their initial pristine condition I love to see the unique ways they age with use.

39martind18 likes this.
  3. dreamingtele

I do agree!!

the avri62 above is my holy grail, and I wanted to keep it the way I got it for as long as I can, but then again, she’s professionally set up, frets dead level, dressed and crowned, and ready to tackle serious work worthy of a top celeb guitarist. (My luthier used to do tech for some famous acts)

and for a hack like me, I’m enjoying it too much that it becomes an extension of me that I dont have to think about what to play, and I just play. And in the heat of the moment, and the fact that Im a bit heavy handed, i can be a bit hard on my guitars but never full retard if you know what I mean.

AAT65 likes this.
  4. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

that's lovely looking wear, that is how it should be done! if you gig a lot it doesn't take long for a guitar to get worn, my mustang had no paint on the back after three years on the road

5. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Beautiful guitar!

6. dreamingtele

Not a lot. Probably 3-4x a month. But I practice a lot so its getting used everyday.

hopefully it will look even better next year.

7. dreamingtele

thank you sir!

8. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I have, or get more knocks and dings indoors on guitars, than I ever did when I gigged.....I guess I'm utterly clumsy lol.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  9. dreamingtele

Wow, I'm the same.. I bump into everything when Im at home, but when gigging or in performance, I seem to have spidey sense on whats coming,

Fendereedo likes this.
  10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Dings, dents appear on my guitars and I mostly have no idea how they got there.
    I now finish my guitars kind of half assed due to knowing they will get dents etc anyway. I shoot for close to perfection but in a speedy fashion and if they end up with finish flaws it doesn't bother me at all, as long as it looks good from a few feet away and there are no sharp bits to get hung up on.:)

What bothers me most is if they don't feel, play and sound good rather than have a flawless finish.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    nojazzhere likes this.
  11. dreamingtele

I had guitars like that.. flawlessly finished.. but thats all it is.. nothing special, its just pretty! got sold after I got tired of looking at it and not playing it! LOL

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I'm naturally "gentle" with my guitars.....I've never gotten the kind of "relic" wear on any of mine. However, I noticed a couple days ago my most recent build, a Tele style with a soft, lightweight, Paulownia body, that I'm already getting a tiny bit of wear just between the bridge and the control plate. I think I'm "grabbing" it with my middle and ring fingers (fingernails) when picking......this after only a couple of months. At this rate, I'll have a "trough" worn in the top in a year.

13. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My ‘65 Danelectro had most of its wear when I bought it in ‘84 or ‘85. I haven’t added much in the time since. I am a bit careful with it, though. My harder-working guitars get the odd ding or dent, and like jeans or shoes, you don’t realize how much more comfortable you are with worn ones until you get there. My Logan looks almost new, but it definitely looks better to me than when it really was new.

14. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

What Elihu said X 5!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.