1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Honest question (no trolling): if tone wood is a myth, then why..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

It's harder, but it's also much more porous, so I think that the average density of rosewood is lower. I could be wrong. But it doesn't matter; if I looked I'm sure I could find an example that was denser. It just goes back to what I've said about tonewoods all along, which is, look at the piece, not the species.
    What you said about perception is right on though. We know color really has nothing at all to do with the sound of a guitar, but I'd be willing to bet that if we took 2 otherwise-identical guitars with a light and a dark finish, and asked folks "which sounds brighter?" the majority would choose the lighter finish.

2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's fun to come along every 50 or 100 posts and proclaim that if you hear a difference between two guitars with same pickups, same bridge, same strings, same nut, same neck wood, same fretboard wood, same pick, same amp, same cord....

Anyway, if you hear a difference...go ahead and play with all the knobs on the guitar and amp. Chances are you'll be able to find a place where they do sound the same.

Then you'll either be happy or sad. Yay! Tonewood!

boris bubbanov and jackinjax like this.
  3. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Next up: tone-metals -- what bridge, tailpiece, and tuner alloys sound best in your solid body guitar?
    Myself, I prefer the 2024-T351 aluminum alloy for the bridge, I think the 4% copper and 1.5% magnesium variants yield the sweetest tones.

4. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I harvest ans
    I built a 1 piece bodied hard tail Strat out of cherry , but it has a quartersawn walnut neck and Madagascar rosewood fretboard . It is very confused , but it sure sounds great . You see , the body darkened while the remainder has not changed .

boris bubbanov likes this.
  5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hear that. I yearn for the Audiophile era when people spent $$$$$ trying to get the best sound sources and equipment. Now, people listen to stuff mostly on coffee cans attached with string. They're claiming to evaluate the sound of one saddle over another when it is doubtful if they weren't told in advance what the composition was, that they could even identify it at all with these crappy computer speakers, connectors, and so forth.

+

Here's an analogy: Anyone notice how with enough plastic surgery, they have made every would be Hollywood star look the same and also all the wanna bees all around the affluent world. Same breasts, same lips, same midsection, same eyes, until the only way you can tell them apart is with a program? Well, modern PAs and huge pedalboards and venues all with the same acoustics make the meaningful differences from one guitar to the next so much less important than they were 50 years ago. We talk about one guitar "cutting through the mix" better than another but I think, all guitars cut through the mix now when once upon a time, none of them did. We have refined all our "stuff" so much at this point that most any guitarist can use any guitar and unless he stinks on all guitars, he WILL BE FINE. Personal choices as to type of board wood or body wood or body construction are simply a matter of ergonomic preference and aesthetic sensibility. Nobody in the audience is going to storm out furious and full of disgust if we play an LP instead of a 335 and a Strat instead of a Tele.

Once upon a time, it did really matter what you used. Now, unless you're up there barely competent to entertain these people, it doesn't matter to them. And it only matters to you depending on how OCD you are.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    william tele and robt57 like this.
  6. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

What makes you think that any of these tone-sniffers will ever have an audience?

william tele, Guitarteach and Tremade like this.
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Audiences are frustrating. They yell the loudest on the nights when you feel like crap and are pretty sure you played worse. And they turn their backs on you when you roll out what you think is the best song you ever wrote.

The average fellow or gal out there still drinks Coors Light. You and I know how bad it is. Because many sommeliers are anonymous and everyone knows who cym cardatian is, we can safely assume nothing sacred about the audience. I've experienced them, and there's just not enough love, coming or going, and so I try my best to assign them as little importance as I can. I mean, I have to use the restroom every day as well but, nothing remotely important or meaningful about it to me and audiences are the same thing, IMO.

8. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

:p

9. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

In the same way that all wood is firewood, then,...yes.

10. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

All very true, but for lots of guys who spend time worrying about their tone the only audience they will ever play for is their cat or dog.

11. ebb soul

The best songs I ever wrote were the ones they don't like.
    They LOVE the crap ones.

12. robt57

In the same way that it all burns differently perhaps...

13. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When people hear certain differences in the variables that I'd like to refer to as the "1%er's" there's one thing I'm absolutely sure of:

They are NOT lying. To say they can't hear that difference is insulting...

However, the same can be said about those who've reported seeing Bigfoot and aliens...:)

14. ebb soul

Poplar pops when it burns.....

15. robt57

I think I just saw a rabbit down here....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.