1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Honest question (no trolling): if tone wood is a myth, then why..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, Nov 5, 2016.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

If I glued a 1/4" thick piece of wood to the back of a Telecaster, shaped to fit it perfectly, would it affect the tone of the guitar?

2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And once again... And as you can tell it just destroys the tone.:rolleyes:

clarence.jpg

McGlamRock likes this.
  3. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

That Marty Stuart vid gave me some really hard tonewood

william tele likes this.
  4. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

Tone is a mysterious mystery Generally some consensus can be found as to what is "good tone". The best explanation I've heard of the mechanical principle of good tone comes from the late Bobbe Seymour of the steel guitar world. Steel guitar players are as fanatical about the Tone Quest as guitar players, and among steel guitars there are certain models that are considered the bench mark for awesome tone. Bobbe's explanation was that the various elements of the instrument tend to feed back into the string certain frequencies and harmonics, and the best sounding instruments were ones in which the particular frequency content fed back into the string vibration caused it to have the most "pleasing" sound. Experience has shown that every part of the guitar affects the tone to some degree. Because the interactions are so subtle, complex, and interactive it is impossible to isolate the exact degree that any one component affects tone. As it turns out the best approach is to try something and see how it turns out. If it's good, keep doing it that way, if not, make changes and see what works. An amazing thing is how Leo Fender got it so right on the first try. The Telecaster is a total winner. The Strat is different, but also excellent. It's a mysterious and fascinating subject, and anyone who tries to over simplify the discussion is IMHO not seeing the whole picture.

twr1, 8barlouie and homesick345 like this.
  5. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

The amazing thing is how Leo got it right on EVERY try :)

william tele likes this.
  6. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

It would affect the sound. Could you hear that effect? Depends how good your hearing is. Maybe your dog could hear it.

7. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

Antigua finish........

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.
  8. kelnet

Wouldn't it affect the way the wood vibrates, or something?

9. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Heretic!

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

No trolling? With kindest regards, trolling is exactly what this is:

Suppose we made an LP out of carbon fiber and an ES also in carbon fiber, configured as closely as possible to that LP. And we measured the differences as best we could. What would that tell us about the different characteristics of mahogany of different sources, and of maple?

Using scientific methodology, how much can we learn when we vary the construction practices and shapes, etc., at the same time we change the wood species?

And since when is the comparo of the LP to an ES equivalent to the comparo of a solid T style and a chambered T style?

With all due respect, this is some of the junkiest junk science you will see here at TDPRI.

11. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Tremade and jackinjax like this.
  12. strat a various

Are you going to ask the same question over and over in slightly different ways? Any change in the wood will change the sound. Whether you can hear that change will depend on how acute your hearing is. Is that so hard to understand? It. Will. Change. The. Sound. Why don't you glue some wood on your Squire Tele and report back?

13. strat a various

There is no science unless a scientist is involved, or at least a lab tech. These opinions don't constitute science. If you want science, you'll have to get a scientist and convince him or her to devise some tests that measure audible sounds with scientific instruments under conditions that replicate different wood densities and masses reacting to guitar strings under tension affixed to various sorts of hardware on a test neck. Be sure to let us know if you undertake that task, and what the scientific results are.

Opinions from non-scientists regarding un-tested guesses are not junk science, they are non-science. I put a lot of stock, however, into the informed opinions I've heard from guitar builders I've known over the years, who have agreed that wood affects the tone of solid-body electric guitars.

14. kelnet

Jeez, dude, settle down. Your first response seemed to suggest that the affect would be so small that we wouldn't hear it. And so, I asked about a specific effect. Now you're telling me that it would indeed be audible, and in fact that ANY change in the wood will change the sound.

But you know, if you're just gonna get all pissy about it, you could just not answer and let the other experts give their opinions. Might reduce your stress levels.

By the way, my Tele is a Squier, not Squire (Classic Vibe), and it was merely a hypothetical question, so I won't be gluing anything.

15. kelnet

By the way, do different types of laminated tops affect the tone so much that we can actually hear it?

16. meric

meric Tele-Holic

The reason I am BADH (beating a dead horse...) is to emphasize that the proper test protocols in a double blind experiment will remove opinion from the whole mess. If you cannot correctly say that that tone was produced by a maple or rosewood fretboard then you can offer nothing more than your opinion.
    Vindicate...

william tele likes this.
  17. strat a various

Whether it's audible to you is unanswerable. IMO, it would be audible to someone with great hearing, but I have no idea if you have good hearing. Here's my answer: Can you hear the difference? Who knows. Could I? Probably. "Affecting tone" doesn't equal "Every player notices the effect".

"By the way, my Tele is a Squier ..." How did I know that? Lol. Yes, you might hear the difference if you glue half a pound of wood to the back of your Squier. Don't use Elmer's, it will fall apart when it gets humid.

18. kelnet

Perhaps we can be more specific - is the tone affected enough to be measurable by scientific instruments?

As for the Squier thing, I was merely correcting your spelling.

19. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

I think almost any change you make would be measurable by sensitive-enough instruments, including the day of the week, but there is still the question of repeatability. - Are the changes consistent from one example to the next? Do all Tuesdays sound the same? I doubt it. :)

william tele likes this.
  20. strat a various

Yes, measurable by instruments, audible to those with good hearing. Yes, yes, a 1000 times yes.

Squier, squire ... "autocorrect, I'm tire of your shirt!"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.