1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Honest question (no trolling): if tone wood is a myth, then why..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, Nov 5, 2016.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

After you said it would be impossible to reach any understanding beyond what you already knew to be correct, you went and figured out for yourself that there was more to know!

IMO you did well to think- that if the wood vibrates in sympathy with the strings, ...it would diminish the strings vibrations, not add to them.

Ding ding round 364589763408560238650187!

The wood changes how the strings vibrate before they induce a current in the coil!

Another denier turns believer!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  2. claes

claes Tele-Afflicted

Should't we at least be able to agre that it's about physics and not religion? And then maybe leave the discussion to people that actually know something about physics? (I don't).
    This is a lot like feminist discussing if sex is a social construction. WHy don't leave such a discussion to the biologist and medics?

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Here we go again, another guy who thinks the earth isn't flat again. Well, all I got to say is.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Mr. Lumbergh and Mr Green Genes like this.
  4. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I don't know what you started with, but she's a beaut now! Oh, and by the way, +1 on your manner of assesment.

5. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

I'm fascinated by these tone wood debates.

That's it. Nothing more than pure fascination of the passion displayed by those for, against, and indifferent.

6. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Okay if wood does not have tone, I would argue that electricity does not either.
    It's more of a hum, or sometimes crackle.
    Acoustic guitars do not exist. A myth.
    BUSTED!

7. The Guy

The Guy Tele-Holic

The tone is in the fingers!! ...how many times do I have to tell that? :D

Steerforth likes this.
  8. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

There's an old expression for this, something about not being able to see the trees because the forest is blocking the view...

t guitar floyd likes this.
  9. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Would that be a tonewood forest?

8barlouie and Mr Green Genes like this.
  10. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

And still no one other than strat a various has commented on or tried to explain why hollow bodies and solid bodies sound different when they have the same hardware.

Zepfan likes this.
  11. Cjl77

Cjl77 Tele-Meister

Thanks! She was black with a white guard. Not a nick or scratch on her. I just wanted a natural finish guitar. Once down to bare wood I used neck tint and kept staining until I was happy. I have a mutt 60's tele I've had for 20 or so yrs.
    She is my main guitar. This one sadly gets very little play time. Great guitar though!

t guitar floyd likes this.
  12. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I read about this thing called a Tone-Rite, it can turn wood into tone wood or something like that.
    Why doesn't everyone just buy one of those do hickies?

That ought to do'er:lol:

william tele likes this.
  13. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

And heaven forbid your neck grain is backwards from the natural vibration direction of the wood; it'll never sound right.

14. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They must be great! Every single review on the Stew Mac site by those who spent $150 on a guitar vibrator was gloriously positive.

I don't believe I've ever seen any product so absolutely, 100% positive reviewed.

Hmmmm....

maxvintage likes this.
  15. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Who sez tone wood is a mith, er miss, er myth?

16. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I dont think semi hollow guitars really do sound different, except in the sense that different guiatrs often sound different from each other.

It's not the wood: it's the construction method. They would sound different if one was hollow and one was solid and both were made of plastic or balsa or plywood or paper mache.

Many times I've been convinced I heard a huge difference that turned out not to be there. I did an experiment the other day. I recorded a clip of my guitar direct into the computer, then reamped it back into my amp through a series of low gain distortion pedal. It turned out to be EXTREMELY hard to tell them apart. But i was convinced going in that they all sounded different. I could hear the difference clearly when I played through them. But not when i heard the recording played back

I can hear pick differences--I've tested it, they are slight but perceptible. Strings? Sure. But all these pedals sounded very close to identical at the low gain settings I was using.

It's really eye opening to do ABX testing. There s free software to do this--you load two or more soundfiles into the program, and it presents you wth bunch of the same clips in no order, and you have to guess which is which. Differences I swore were "night and day" were impossible to detect. It's very eye-opening

17. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Great.

Now we have directional neck grain.

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.
  18. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, I am passionately indifferent.

(How did william tele miss this one? ;) :p )

Mr Green Genes likes this.
  19. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Mass , or the lack of it . Placement of that mass .

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd say a lot of the attack, and a certain amount of harmonic content are absorbed by the body flexing and vibrating.

In boat construction, a hull that is less stiff will vibrate, or in the hydrodynamics of hull design: resonate. Hulls that resonate more cannot go as fast, because some of the power pushing them forward is lost to resonance.
    This is well established scientific fact due to the need to win races, thus money for research.
    Sadly, slower guitars sell just as well as faster guitars, so no money for scientists to generate random data on why we need a LP and a 335.

I forgot about the hull resonance thing 'till now.
    Used to build boats back when the West System (wood epoxy saturation technique) was cutting edge.
    Now I guess the big winners are carbon fiber.

Interestingly enough, carbon fiber seems to be moving into musical instruments as replacement for (tone) woods more and more, not just structural parts.

Tradition slows us down as much as resonance.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.