Homey sounds you love....

bender66

Poster Extraordinaire
Adding to my previous post, as I try to get some sleep i hear my dad's tv with Grit/METV playing old westerns and war movies while he dozes in and out. It's been like that since as long as I can remember.

I have a cassette tape of dad reading stories to me when I was about 3. It was so old and fragile I had to put it in a new shell as the pressure pad was missing.

Once of the surprise treats was the whirr of mom's sewing machine. It was so funny, the instant I heard it I could smell machine oil and cotton thread.
I'd get those digitized so you dont lose that memory.

HootOwlDude

Tele-Holic
So my youngest son has the flu. (The sweetly stubborn cuss wouldn't get his shot.) He's been lolling on the couch, feeling a bit better today.

He just commented that he loves drowsing off while hearing the dryer in the basement, the furnace coughing on periodically, the dogs down the street barking ("a bit"), cars passing by on the busy street at the end of our quiet one, their tires swishing the wet leaves.

So what's the music in and around your home that you love, or rely on to mean "home"?
I grew up in a really old, big house and I miss the sound of the house just settling. It’d creak and crack and its radiators would groan and ping and pong. You could hear critters in the damn walls at night too. The buck stove’s electric blower kicking on in the living room was nice as well with the fire crackling. We also had no AC, so window fans and oscillating fans and outside sounds—insects, birds, chittering squirrels, the breeze—were ubiquitous background sounds all the time in the summer. The squeaky, bangy screendoor off the kitchen punctuated all this pretty regularly too. I miss hearing my mom puttering around too, doing damn everything.

Big_Ger

Tele-Meister
When I was a kid in the 70s, I used to live near the Don Valley in Sheffield (UK) which had lots of steelworks. There was a steam hammer that used to run all night. I remember lying in bed with the windows open in the summer listening to it, mesmerizing. Happy days :)

swarfrat

Tele-Holic
The cassette has been played exactly once since the transplant for that very purpose

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
In Tennessee, we had a very melodious coyote pack in the cattle-lot behind our house. Some nights, I could stand on the back porch and give a howl and they would respond en mass. I would sit on the porch and doze as they filled the night.

This house is so well insulated that I rarely hear outside noises. However, this year the oaks have produced a bumper crop of acorns. Having them randomly drop off the eaves onto the back porch has been giving me a start as I doze off for a nap. The angle of the garage roof is perfect for them to roll down the roof and launch across the gap between the living room and the garage...the acorns actually hit the window. Took me a while to figure that one out...I thought the squirrels were throwing them at the window.

swarfrat

Tele-Holic
This x1000

A cold, rainy day…and Bill Evans’ “The Studio Sessions“ on the turntable.
The very first time I heard this song, there was this gentle rolling thunder in the background. And it absolutely made the mood. I thought it was in the track.

The second time I listened to it, there was no thunder. And I've been disappointed every time I've heard it since.

Last edited:

NHFlyCaster

Tele-Meister
My dog has a rolling bark woo-woo-woo-woo that's great, and she gets her front feet in the air as she goes.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
My wife's voice has always been comforting.

We're sort of empty nest now but our 3 college kids will show up. Sunday afternoon all 3 kids showed up and two made a fantastic dinner. The 3 kids, busy kitchen, wife and dog sounds were comforting beyond description.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I love rain on the roof and running down the gutters. where i live now is very very quiet...

at the ranch the mourning doves were my favorite sound... in the morning letting me know it was pretty close to getting up time.

in high school, I actually was relaxed by the sound of the police helicopters going over.

Skydog1010

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Home, I now realize, is (are and will be) all the places where refuge relaxation rest and romance all exist enveloped in security and comfort; they all come together, collide, if you will, holding you like your favorite blanket.

Please forgive the second post on the thread but I would be way amiss if I failed to mention the sound of my precious wife breathing - I miss her so much, but I am truly blessed by the memories of such an extraordinarily wonderful person, the woman that shared more than 26 years of her life with me.

Those sounds of her being physically present are lost to my ears but forever remain in my memories. That's home, that's the sound of peace and joy and a love that will endure for all time.