Homey sounds you love....

Jupiter

Telefied
Ad Free Member
there's a certain very specific one I used to enjoy but haven't heard it for a long time:

I used to live close to the railroad tracks near a spot where the trains would pick up more cars from the mill. They would slow down, and stop, and back up a little, sit there for a while, and then when they put it in gear again, the slack in each coupling would be taken up with an emphatic "klok!" that ran down the length of the train, from front to back, kloklokloklokloklokloklklok for a hundred cars or more, like God's Own Zipper. I used to hear it from my house in the wee hours, and a few times I'd be out strolling by the tracks when it happened, which was REALLY cool.

Another one, which I think I actually mentioned around here a couple months ago, is the suzumushi, which is a kind of cricket I guess, that sings in the gloaming of midsummer

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
When I was a youngster still living at home in the country of SC in the ‘60s and early ‘70s - an attic fan would be on at night in the summer, gently whirring as it pulled air in from my open (screened) window. Outside night birds (whipporwhill or chuckwills-widow) would often call and respond to each other, frogs would be singing in the pond, and my brother-in-law’s coon dogs next door would howl. Mosquitos would get in past a bent screen frame and be singing in my ear. And cars would drive by somewhat slowly on the bumpy dirt road, lights coming through the window as they pass.

When I went in the AF in the ‘70s and was at Tyndall AFB in Biloxi, Miss - the propellors of taxiing C-130s would whir on the flight line, a locomotive’s diesel engines would whir as its’ wheels clacked the tracks just outside the base and the engineer sounded the horn.

When I visit my homestead that my sister still keeps up now in the 2020s - a car breezes a little faster past on the now-paved highway, its’ lights still shine through the window, thumping a Doppler-bent bass line. The AC turns on and I hear the vent gently shudder. Morning light starts to break, waking the rooster and he starts announcing his feat. He makes this announcement about once every 20 seconds for a minute or so; takes a break for about half an hour, and does it again. Eggs don’t lay themselves, you know.

And I’m still on the sunny side of the grass.

Last edited:

Chipss36

Tele-Holic
I work on an isolated island, have to take a boat to get to this place. 12/13 hour shifts , at night, the place comes alive, all the critters come out, porpoise in the water, raccoons, deer, armadillo, coyotes, and rare but happens once in blue moon, a bobcat, or long tail.
at times I am just in awe of the symphonic sounds of nature.

suthol

Friend of Leo's
Morning light starts to break, waking the rooster and he starts announcing his feat. He makes this announcement about once every 20 seconds for a minute or so; takes a break for about half an hour, and does it again. Eggs don’t lay themselves, you know.
Is the rooster aware he expected to lay eggs, you'd better top him if he fails to do so ;)
:lol:

suthol

Friend of Leo's
The sounds of our grandkids playing, the birds in the yard, the rolling surf and my little dog on the front balcony advising all and sundry that this is her turf.

Most of all the sound of my wife sleeping beside me

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The radiators clanging in the winter. We have an oil-fired steam furnace. When it gets extra cold, my wife turns up the heat and the clanging begins. Sometimes when I’m playing the acoustic, the clanging keeps the beat for me!

Backyard birds provide a nice tranquility too.

Yeah, sometimes the trains sound cool.

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
I grew up on a busy street in Chicago, so my childhood was soundtracked by the whooshing of cars all day and most of the night. I still am in love with the sound of traffic going by, especially on a rainy street at night.

Perhaps my favorite ambient sound of all is the sound of birds singing in the morning, or even when they start singing in the dark at 3 am in the spring. Very comforting to me.

One time when I lived in Denver, I had an apartment fairly close to I-25... When I moved in I was disturbed to realize how loud the traffic noise was, just a kind of continual drone in the background. Then one night I realized that if I lived on the beach and it was the sound of waves crashing I was hearing, I'd find it soothing. The highway noise never bothered me again after that.

ETA: After writing, I realize my first and third paragraphs are contradictory. I guess it's all in the attitude.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Dryer’s a good one. Thunderstorms, rain generally if those count. Gurgle of a drip coffee brewer first thing in the morning. Tea kettle whistling in the afternoon. Animal sounds are probably my favorite; dogs’ tails whump-whumpin' when you rouse 'em from a nap, cats purring in your lap, pigeons and other birds out in the garden first thing in the morning, window open in the summer.

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
The coffee maker. We used to live on an old farm in Pennsylvania and I insulated a part of an old pole barn to make a place to jam.

I used to record sometimes on a boom box. Apparently I left it on one night. A few years after we moved to MD I was going through some old cassettes and came upon a recording of the tin roof creaking and the fan turning in the breeze. I was instantly transported back there. I could even smell it. I don’t know what happened to that tape but I’d love to hear it again.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Harley snoring

harley.jpg

bowman

Friend of Leo's
Except for where I live now, every place I’ve lived since I was born had trains nearby. In the city when I was really young, it was the elevated trains, but for most of my life it was freight and commuter trains. I got to know what time of night it was by the patterns of the train whistles - each driver had his own sequence and I listened to those lonely sounds many nights lying in bed. I could hear them for miles as they gradually approached, passed by, then slowly slipped into the distance. It’s very comforting.

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
In the morning and late afternoon I strangely love the squeak of the school bus air brakes.

In the night it’s owls and sometimes coyotes. I love those sounds.

Knows3Chords

Tele-Afflicted
Lived a few miles from the Detroit river as a kid. Sometimes in the summer you would hear the horns of a Lake freighter. That and the sounds of distant trains would always kind of lull me to sleep.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
You know, the whirring of UFOs abducting the neighbors cat, the melodic scrape of what I presume is a Wendigo on my windows, and the washing machine kicking because it's loaded poorly.

Wait. No. Those are what keep waking me up.......

When I was a kid, I used to love hear the train in the distance as I was laying bed.
My Dad's house is within half a mile of a fire station and a quarter mile of railroad tracks. The tracks were more active back then (moving stuff to and from Owen's Corning Fiberglass factory) so I was used to fire truck/ambulance sirens and the train whistle. It weirded me out when people were startled by what I'd call background noises.

Actually "homelike " sounds of my childhood would be my father messing around on his ham radios, the general ambient sounds of the Saturday morning cartoons in the background, and the sound of the furnace kicking on.
Oh, and I can remember some things all the way back from age 2. Falling off slides, parents divorce, mostly bad. But the one good thing I remember is the General sounds of my grandfather playing pedal steel, the more Hawaiian type sounds. It was pretty, it moved and was the first non words added music I probably heard.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
My wife talking to our two dogs in a conversational way. Not giving them commands. Actually discussing topics she's interested in. I work a lot of midnight shifts so when I'm dozing off around 10:00 a.m. this is what I'm hearing as I fall asleep. It's nice. I know I'm home.