Homey sounds you love....

RoscoeElegante

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
So my youngest son has the flu. (The sweetly stubborn cuss wouldn't get his shot.) He's been lolling on the couch, feeling a bit better today.

He just commented that he loves drowsing off while hearing the dryer in the basement, the furnace coughing on periodically, the dogs down the street barking ("a bit"), cars passing by on the busy street at the end of our quiet one, their tires swishing the wet leaves.

So what's the music in and around your home that you love, or rely on to mean "home"?

8bit

Tele-Meister
I live on 13 acres and the back of the property backs right up to a fairly busy railroad. It's the perfect distance from the house as you can hear it, but it isn't loud enough to be annoying. I absolutely love hearing the trains go by multiple times per day. I find it strangely peaceful and beautiful. Very comforting and definitely makes me feel "at home".

geoff_in_nc

Friend of Leo's
Years ago I lived in the landing flight path of a fairly busy airport. You get used to the planes so you hardly ever really hear them. Until aviation was shut down after 9/11.... Then you really noticed the sound being gone. It was eerily quiet.

Now one corner of our property comes within 10 ft of a rail spur. If I don't hear two trains in the afternoon/evening, it seems like something is wrong.

naneek

Tele-Holic
I grew up in an edwardian house in San Francisco with an old gravity furnace. No electricity, no blowers, no moving parts- just heat rising.

Just a pilot light that ignites a big gas flame in a metal box in the ground level basement. I miss the sound of the fire roaring when the furnace kicked on, and then the gentle sound of clean burning fire and heat wafting upwards.

I also miss the sound of the old foghorns.

The sound of little high revving japanese cars and big v8s racing up and down twin peaks late at night. And the distinct echo in the valley below twin peaks where my house was. Late at night you'd hear a laugh echo from an open window, or the echo of a car door closing.

Intense ocean winds blasting down twin peaks and slamming into the old wooden house. It creaked and rocked like a sailboat. You could feel it sway in the wind.

And last, the sound of the old electric Muni busses. The motors sounded like a symphony tuning up. vvvvwuuuuueeeeeee..... echoing in the distance as they chugged uphill.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I grew up in an edwardian house in San Francisco with an old gravity furnace. No electricity, no blowers, no moving part- just heat rising.
I always loved San Francisco, growing up. The houses, the streets, the hills, the wharf, the park, the bridge, the airport, the ballpark. That was our occasional "big city" trip.

Now it's far away, and I don't get there very often. At all. I hear people run the place down, but I'll bet I'd still like it.

bender66

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm at my parents visiting. My father's health is in decline. As I doze I'm reminded of growing up here some 34yrs ago by the church bells ringing in the distance. Of course the rain and thunder rumbling.

At home I love hearing the cat playing or meowing in my apt.

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
Thirty years ago, when my three sons were under eight or nine, I loved to hear their soft voices as they played with one another on Saturday mornings while their mother and I lingered in bed.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Crickets in the backyard during summer nights

One night a cricket was non-stop chirping outside my front door . . . I decided to end it. I opened the front door and listened . . . sounded like he had gotten inside the house. Went back in the house and listened . . . sounded like he was back outside. This happened 3 or 4 times until I got down on my hands and knees, and found him chirping from inside a hollow section of the weather strip on the bottom of my door. DOH!

aging_rocker

Poster Extraordinaire
Cats and chickens, native birds in the trees, cicadas on summer evenings, and Mrs R yelling 'food!' at me when I'm working outside or in the shed.

Trains passing by about 3 miles from us.

Deer in the fields.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
It's pretty quiet here, I hear the birds chirping all through the day...

some even sit outside my door under the awning and sing for hours....like this guy yesterday. I reckon he spent 4 hours on the post just singing to himself, not calling loudly to other birds, just low volume warbling a bunch of different sounds... weirdo...:)

bb singing.jpg

edvard

Friend of Leo's
My grandmother's house was built right next to the main road into and out of town. Don't know why, maybe the land was cheap. It was a small town, so there wasn't a whole lot of traffic. I remember weekend nights spent there as a kid hearing cars gently whooshing by as I dozed off. In the morning, there was always grandma's old percolator coffee pot quietly going "gurglegurgle BLOOP gurglegurgle...".

HolmfirthNJ

Tele-Meister
London, especially the distant rumbling of traffic from one of the parks. Sigh.

HolmfirthNJ

Tele-Meister
Actually, here’s John Cage on the sound of traffic…
“When I hear traffic, the sound of traffic… I don’t have the feeling that anyone is talking. I have the feeling that sound is acting, and I love the activity of sound… I don’t need sound to talk to me…the sound experience which I prefer to all others is the experience of silence…. the silence almost everyone in the world now is traffic…. if you listen to Beethoven or to Mozart you see that they are always the same, but if you listen to traffic you see it’s always different.”