Homey records you love…

Dik Ellis

Tele-Afflicted
Not "homey" sounding, but this is what my Dad played that takes me back. I remember Herb Alpert, Kingston Trio, 101 Strings, Martin Denny, and Broadway musicals. My Dad was an audiophile and always had top-line stereo equipment. We moved into our new house (which I still own) in 1961 . . . The stereo was up and running before the second box was unpacked. Thanks, Dad.

<Edit> When we moved to Okinawa, my Dad was in Hog Heaven . . . Pioneer and Sansui for peanuts. I remember this beast (30 lbs and 60 Watts per channel). I still have the Sansui speakers.

View attachment 1051253 View attachment 1051328

Just picked up a Herb Alpert best of CD. It includes "Rise".

Kandinskyesque

Friend of Leo's
The Blue Nile's "Downtown Lights and "Saturday Night" have a wet winter night in Glasgow written all over them to the extent that a few friends of mine who had relocated to other parts of the plant would be reduced to tears when they heard them.

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
This one is overt. I'm from Tennessee.

This one isn't:

I ran across this album while on a holiday right near the Great Smoky Mountains.

Joe's and Barnstorm's album was recorded at Caribou Ranch. Amy's song was recorded at Mama Jo's in Hollywood but the album cover was shot while she was recording another song for her Christmas album at Caribou Ranch.

I discovered this one during the fall quarter at the University of Tennessee and listened to it repeatedly in the university's library while overlooking the riotous display of fall colors outside on Melrose Avenue. Joe Walsh produced it.

Bob

Crafty Fox

Tele-Afflicted
The Blue Nile's "Downtown Lights and "Saturday Night" have a wet winter night in Glasgow written all over them to the extent that a few friends of mine who had relocated to other parts of the plant would be reduced to tears when they heard them.

I Love The Blue Nile.
And I think that FaceBook's Lost Glasgow put up an excellent Rab Noakes version of Downtown Lights last week?

Kandinskyesque

Friend of Leo's
I Love The Blue Nile.
And I think that FaceBook's Lost Glasgow put up an excellent Rab Noakes version of Downtown Lights last week?
I'll have a look at Lost Glasgow FB page for it on the wife's FB account, thanks for the heads up.
A bass player from a band I was in back in the 90s was one of the creators of their website way back when he stopped playing with our band.
He had suitcases full of self-developed B&W photos of the city that could leave us distracted for hours.

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
I just wanted to add that of course it was Neil Young on that intro to the CSNY version of Woodstock.

Why I trusted a music critic instead of my ears I'll never know.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
I just wanted to add that of course it was Neil Young on that intro to the CSNY version of Woodstock.

Why I trusted a music critic instead of my ears I'll never know.
Wikipedia says that Young plays all the guitars, Stills plays the organ, Crosby rhythm guitar, and Nash on electric piano. For starters, my ears have always told me that the piano I hear on the record is a regular piano, either a grand piano, spinet, or upright (acoustic) piano. Sounded more like an upright to me.

My ears have also told me that Stills played the intro and that Young played the guitar solo in the middle, then Stills begins the outro with Young coming in interrupting Stills's part like a madwoman interrupting you when you are trying to talk to her.

But I wasn't in the recording studio when it happened. But would love to have been there.

Crafty Fox

Tele-Afflicted
I'll have a look at Lost Glasgow FB page for it on the wife's FB account, thanks for the heads up.
A bass player from a band I was in back in the 90s was one of the creators of their website way back when he stopped playing with our band.
He had suitcases full of self-developed B&W photos of the city that could leave us distracted for hours.
I know that Norrie (Wilson?) from Lost Glasgow would love to learn about those photos.
And me too, I haven't been back since 1991!
I hardly recognized my hometown when I saw it on TV news items from last year's Climate Conference.
I came to Perth, Australia in 1984 for a 2 year working holiday. Still working.....and still waiting for that holiday!😄
I didn't intend it to be so long but life can head off in unexpected tangents, and I have few complaints about that.

Kandinskyesque

Friend of Leo's
I know that Norrie (Wilson?) from Lost Glasgow would love to learn about those photos.
And me too, I haven't been back since 1991!
I hardly recognized my hometown when I saw it on TV news items from last year's Climate Conference.
I came to Perth, Australia in 1984 for a 2 year working holiday. Still working.....and still waiting for that holiday!😄
I didn't intend it to be so long but life can head off in unexpected tangents, and I have few complaints about that.
That sounds a bit like how my young brother ended up in Oz.

He worked in a stockbrokers in Glasgow, who were offering 3 months wages for a 12 months sabbatical back in 2005.
He bought a ticket to Perth WA, with the intention of spending 6 months travelling.
Within 3 months he was in Sydney doing the same job with a bank as the one he left.
He comes back here about every 2nd year to terrorise the family with his drunken antics.

As for Glasgow, it changes in parts all the time, there's bits I don't recognise from one year to the next, especially the city centre and I'm only 35 miles away.
It must have came as a shock to you, if you left in '84, that the buildings weren't soot black.
The city corporation discovered sandblasting in the late 80s.