Hometowns In The Movies.

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted
I mentioned this in the "Have you ever written a book" thread.

I grew up in a tiny hamlet in north Louisiana that is off the main highway. Most people have not heard of the town. But it has a large white wooden building with a bright green roof that, when I was growing up, housed a grocery store, the post office, a barber shop, and town hall.

That building was shown in a scene in a Hallmark Channel movie starring Candace Cameron. I think it was called Finding Normal or something like that. (The town itself is not called Normal, BTW,) I don't know that anything in this village deserved the description "iconic," but that building would be it.

N Louisiana? Where at? I've lived in NW LA almost all my life.

Edit: aha! My family is from West of there, in Winfield and Jonesboro/Hodge. I'm actually related to the Longs of Louisiana. Yes, those Longs. Huey P Long and his family.

runstendt

Tele-Holic
Much of the movie The Molly Maguires was shot in a small, older patch town called Eckley which is essentially down the road from my hometown of Hazleton, PA; the town was chosen because it stilled looked like it was the 1890's. They even built a coal breaker as a backdrop that is still standing today.

metalicaster

Friend of Leo's
It would be cool to be from Philadelphia. It's the only US city whose most famous resident is an imaginary person.

ADRIAAAAAAAN!

RockyStatue_J_Fusco_01_2200x1237-1600x897.jpg
As a man of Sherwood I cannot comment on this… There may or may not be several statues.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Spacecamp is in Huntsville?!? I didn't know that. I have family there. My great uncle worked at IBM & Redstone Arsenal for many, many years in the 60s 70s & 80s. I didn't realize at the time, when I saw him a lot, that IBM=NASA or I probably would've asked him alll about it. He's still alive thankfully, and still living in Huntsville.
Yup. Every kid I knew in the 60s-70s had a Dad who worked for IBM...except my Dad (who worked for Ryan). You still can't swing a dead cat there without hitting an Engineer.

swarfrat

Tele-Holic
For me it kind of undoes the illusion a bit. When i saw Bull Durham, some of the NC fields sort of took it from major movie to Blair Witch Project. (Ie just your 3rd cousins attempt to break into film making)

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
The movie Roadie has some of my friends in it.
Austin band Standing Waves is featured in it, billed as The Spittle.
My high school friends Bob (dr) and Larry (v,g) are in it, as is my first wife, dancing to the Waves (Spittle).
Long ago!

Frisco 57

Tele-Afflicted
In 2000 there was a remake of the Fugitive for CBS TV staring Tim Daly. It was filmed in and around my original home town of Everett WA.

I knew one of the location scouts and I got a front row seat right behind the assistant director so for one afternoon, I watch them for three to four hours set up and film a scene in the entrance of the hospital where I worked. Some of my co-workers were even used as extras. When that episode aired, that scene that was three to four hours in the making lasted about 30 seconds on screen!

Ah yes, the magic of film making!

Last edited:

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
N Louisiana? Where at? I've lived in NW LA almost all my life.

Edit: aha! My family is from West of there, in Winfield and Jonesboro/Hodge. I'm actually related to the Longs of Louisiana. Yes, those Longs. Huey P Long and his family.
Yeah, Caldwell Parish.

I took a picture of the TV with the large white building in it. It is definitely in the town I grew up in. The tv set is cropped out of the picture.
1672768315019.jpeg

clickitysplit

TDPRI Member
San Diego - both Top Gun movies have scenes from around town - Banker’s Hill to Cabrillo to Fort Rosecrans, Miramar (now a Marine base) to Mission Beach, Oceanside, North Island, Point Loma, San Diego Bay and others I’m sure.

swarfrat

Tele-Holic
F.I.S.T was filmed in Dubuque, IA - my grade school Franklin shows up, as well as the harbor, Star Brewery,Shot Tower, Riverfront, Fenelen place elevator and rail yard, Also "Take This Job and Shove t was but I never saw it
RIP The Ground Round.

CV Jee Beez

Tele-Afflicted
Scenes from “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” were filmed in New Haven and on Yale’s campus. They dressed up the storefronts on a section of Chapel St. to look like it was the ‘50’s. We were able to walk down the street when they weren’t filming and could check out the set. One of the storefronts was set to look like a music store complete with a ‘50’s Strat in the window (I think it might have been real because it didn’t have a Custom Shop logo on it). They also had the motorcycle used in a chase scene (through Yale’s dining common IIRC) parked on the street.

I’ve also heard that my area has been used a few times for some Lifetime channel filmings.
FYI - EVERY Lifetime channel show synopsis on the cable TV guide begins with "Sparks fly when..."

CV Jee Beez

Tele-Afflicted
I'm from Los Angeles County however, Jackie Brown is the film with the most places that I grew up in around and were familiar to me. The Cockatoo Inn being the most iconic.

mindlobster

Tele-Afflicted
'A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square' from 1980 with David Niven and Richard Jordan, includes a few scenes shot a short walk from where I lived in Chiswick at the time. IIRC Niven is outside a fruit & veg shop that I knew, and an ice cream place. Coincidentally the fruit & veg place was a few yards from a pub which Richard Burton and Liz Taylor used to frequent as they drove in/out of town from Heathrow airport.

kuch

Friend of Leo's
I grew up in the Honolulu metro area. there's been so many movies and tv shows that have been filmed there and it always still gives me a thrill to scope out the locations while watching them. It's so funny because they always used made up names for the places. the latest one I know of is NCIS Hawaii, but there's been hundreds(?).
I've lived in the Seattle/Portland area for over 40 years now and they have done a lot of movies here too. it's so funny because they always show the space needle and pike place market. Y'all remember "It happened at the Worlds Fair" right?