Homemade telecaster made in the 70's

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by LTadrian, Nov 6, 2011.

1. LTadrian

LTadrian TDPRI Member

I bought this homemade telecaster last month and I was wondering if it was worth the money. I payed $200 and the person who sold it to me bought it in Arizona from an old man for $320. He said that the old man bought it from his buddy who used to work for Fender, and he decided to make his own Telecaster. Im going to post a few pictures so you can see all the details of the guitar. Hoping you guys are honest about this and nice, because I wasn't sure if this was the right thread for this.

2. LTadrian

LTadrian TDPRI Member

http://imgur.com/a/dI1h9#8
    You can tell that the Fender Custom Guitar is a sticker. Lots of flaws to it. Overall it looks pretty solid for a homemade guitar. Also, there is a bad humming sound. The seller told me that it was from his amp and when I play at my house it comes from my amp too. I cant tell wether its the guitar or amp because on my amp it gives the humming sound to other guitars too. Also the sound chops off from the humbucker pickup. I think the ground is messed up. (I dont know what im talking about)

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

The body looks like maple to me. The pickup is cool looking. I don't recall football jackplates from the 70's as available parts.

4. LTadrian

LTadrian TDPRI Member

The person who sold it to me said that he changed the pickgaurd and Im guessing he changed the jackplate too.

5. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The neck heel has the round transistion like a Warmoth neck .

6. Zenzeypher

Zenzeypher Tele-Afflicted

check your grounding on it.

looks nice.

7. Dan_in_Wy

Dan_in_Wy TDPRI Member

Its crap. I'll give you a hundred bucks for it. [​IMG]

8. telemaster1953

telemaster1953 Tele-Holic

they must have changed the bridge and the control plate too they look shiny new to me.
    how much wear is on the fretboard and frets?

9. camatillo

camatillo Tele-Meister

I can see where someone filled in the bridge pickup that was angled at one point. Looks like a nice guitar though.

10. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

No Fender Neck has ever had a Truss rod access such as that, and the Heel

transition looks to be a Squire, as does most of it. That's a Fender DeArmond

pup from the 80's.

11. LTadrian

LTadrian TDPRI Member

I give you props for this. I have a bad buzzing noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkJ5IJbrPfQ

This is what it looks like under the control plate.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5XcTSoW1kk

I barely recorded this today after getting really frustrated with the loud buzzing sound. On my Squire Strat the buzzing only happens when i play on distortion so it can't be blamed on my amp only.

12. LTadrian

LTadrian TDPRI Member

The frets seem pretty good and feel new. In some spots theres like a random glue stain. Its not that big of a deal but after what your saying here seems true. The control plate is real shiny and new along with the bridge. I think this guy must've switched up the story a little on me.

13. Zenzeypher

The wiring taped is meant to be that way...it means you can split the coil..leave it.
    What have you done with the black wire?

when im hunting ground issues the first thing I check is all the connections from Jack input to switch, to humbucker..PUP.

Id leave it plugged in and touch the black wire to the back of a pot or on the switch and see if it's any different.

You could also check under the bridge to see the there's a wire trailing off for ground.

14. LTadrian

LTadrian TDPRI Member

I think the black wire yanked off from the pot. How can I open up the bridge without breaking any strings? Is there a video on youtube or something or tutorial to checking the ground under the bridge and under the humbucker?

15. Zenzeypher

well what happened when you reattached the wire ?

16. Colt W. Knight

Take the old strings off, and buy a new set. Ernie Balls are like 3-4$ at Best Buy.

17. LTadrian

LTadrian TDPRI Member

Alright right now I just tapped the black wire onto the volume pot with the guitar on and the buzzing noise went away! Now from what it seems is that the wire was stripped a little too much and the tip just ripped off from the pot. I don't know how to get the wire back onto it by myself. Is there any way to attach the wire without soldering it back on? I have the soldering tool, I just dont have the aluminum.

18. Colt W. Knight

you mean the solder?

You can buy the solder at any Radio Shack, Walmart, Lowes, Homedepot, Mendards, or automotive parts store for around 5-6$.

19. Zenzeypher

if you want a quick fix, heat existing solder on the back and lay it on...if you get in the blob it should hold out.

however if you wanna do it proper buy some rosin core solder....but if you can't get it for such a small job any will do.

watch some guitar soldering videos on you tube first.

if i were in your shoes and I wanted to play it, id heat the solder on the pot then push the wire in...because im unprofessional :D

for a temporary fix.

20. LTadrian

LTadrian TDPRI Member

WOW! My dad was telling me that you need like some kind of aluminum that was $20+. I couldn't believe it. Thanks so much. Im going to work on this tomorrow after school. There was a problem though, I heard a small buzzing noise with distortion on. It was after I had the volume at full blast. Could it just be the amp?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.