Homemade sausage

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ce24, Dec 5, 2019.

1. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I just bought a Kitchener HD grinder. 500 watt motor. Im looking to make homemade sausage..... Among other things. Do any of you folks make your own? Any advice would be appreciated.

RoarDog and LeftFinger like this.
  2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My neighbor makes the best sausage I have ever had. He combines bear with beef along with some secret spices. The bear meat adds a lot of fat to make them perfect for frying for breakfast. I grind my own elk and venison with a hand cranked grinder, but I have never ventured into sausage making. Enjoy and have fun with it.

ce24 likes this.
  3. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Smoker19.jpg Garlic Sausage.jpg

Nelg, Obsessed, ce24 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Best advice I can give you is to keep your personal appendages out of the grinder. :lol:

Obsessed, ce24 and uriah1 like this.
  5. Vfc13

Vfc13 Tele-Meister

I make my own in the same kitchen aid.. but I have a Lem manual stuffer..advice take the little black o-ring off the back auger.. otherwise it will be hard to push the meat into the grinder.. it creates kind of a vapor lock..in needs a lil breath of air to help .. fun stuff I’ve made 100 of lbs bison,pork.. beef.. also go to your meat market and buy bacon trimmings or pork fat.. it helps keep the sausage from being too dry.. hope this helps

Obsessed and ce24 like this.
  6. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Talk to that neighbor about rendering the bear fat as natural lard. One can learn how to do it on youtube with a crockpot. Bear fat produces a nice, nearly clear lard that is excellent for any use and particularly baking and pastries.

Obsessed likes this.
  7. Obsessed

Great idea. I save my bacon drippings for my bread making, but having some bear fat around for various cooking adventures would be really nice, especially to add with the very lean venison that I cook often. Thanks.

8. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

My brother and I made Linguica earlier this year. He's the experienced sausage maker. I will tell you it would be tricky to fill the casings alone. I'm sure it can be done, but it goes much smoother with two people.

9. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

My dad used to make it. He ate some of it fresh and dried some for pepperoni. Can you still get natural casings?

10. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When you get it dialed in, are you gonna have a sausage party?

FLHT and drlucky like this.
  11. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I ve got farmers in my family, and they were making boudins (blood sausages ? ). what strike me the most was my uncle drinking white wine, then blowing in some kind of intestines, just like you would in a balloon, the kind you use to make dogs and stuffs.

Torren61 likes this.
  12. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Yum. I want to try making sausage...maybe venison and boar?

13. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Fry that sausage very well done. When I was a kid, pork was always cooked well done because of trichinosis. For the past 10 or 15 years, pork in restaurants has come to the table a little pink, made necessary by pork's lower fat content of late. Pink is still moist. Tan is dried out. I was informed by a very reliable chef when I questioned this that wild boar may be a reservoir for trichinosis, but not farm raised hogs. He also said that the more serious trichinosis reservoir in the US is bear meat. Enjoy your sausage. Thoroughly cooked. I don't want to read a post about the dear departed Mr. Obsessed. ;)

Torren61 and Obsessed like this.
  14. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

Plant some rosemary if you can, we call ours the "sausage bush"

15. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It's been a long time since I had my old hand-cranked grinder out and made sausage, but I should get back to it. Here's my breakfast sausage recipe (well, not mine, but I can't remember where I got it from):

1 tbsp. light brown sugar
    2 tsp. finely minced sage
    2 tsp. finely minced thyme leaves
    1/2 tsp. finely minced rosemary leaves
    2 tsp. salt
    1 ½ tsp. black pepper
    1/2 tsp. each ground nutmeg, crushed red pepper, and cayenne
    2 lbs. pork butt, cut into quarter-inch cubes
    1/4 lb. fatback, also cut into quarter-inch cubes

Mix all that together, stick it in the fridge for an hour (along with your bowls and grinder blades), then grind it up.

16. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

We make kielbasa every year for Christmas. First cut the meat into 3/4 inch cubes. Add all your spices and seasonings and refrigerate overnight. The next day put it through the grinder. Over the years, have settled on grinding it twice. The first time you put it through the grinder into a bowl or whatever, and the second time through it goes into the casing. Totally agree with previous advice to have two people for the casing part.

ce24 likes this.
  17. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Yes he will, and you will be the first invitee! :p:D

Torren61 and ce24 like this.
  18. Obsessed

Well, thank you for your concern, but I'm getting naked and walking out into the forest when my time is up.;)

Trichinosis is basically in every older bear here in Montana, so what is nice about the natural fat in bear meat, is that frying can go a little longer without over-cooking the meat. My neighbor hunts bear every year (we have two bear hunting seasons up here) and he eats a lot of bear without any issues for the over 25 years now. He does drink a whole lotta beer though.:rolleyes: Handling during processing raw meat and cooking precautions, as you recommend, seem to be the main concerns. Thanks again for the PSA reminder.:)

19. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

As far as the cooking goes, we boil it first, then brown it up in a pan with some sauerkraut (you could use bell peppers, onions, etc.). With the natural casings you have to bring it to a boil very gradually or the casings will burst. Not the end of day when that happens...still edible but just not as presentable.

20. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

YAY!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.