Homemade Lap Steel

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by JuneauMike, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic

Very nice, Mike. Have fun with this!

2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

No, I never did. I had to sorta rough out the shape by studying the picture. If you can overlay a grid on a photo and then take some measurements of known components (pickups? or just go cavemen and measure nut to bridge of a known scale length. But it seems to me smaller measurements would be most useful) that might get you closer than what I got. My snakehead headstock is too short. If I did another one, I'd correct that.

There's a guy in the DIY forum who built a snakehead tele. I'd steal his dimensions for that.

3. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

Nice guitar, Mike.
    Modern worship music needs more lap, pedal steel, mandolin and etc, to add musical "color" to the songs. I bought and play a 8 string lap steel .. folks love the tone it bring to songs, old and new.

mRtINY likes this.
  4. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I agree. It feels silly trying to do a way huge arena song when you are in a small sanctuary of maybe 100 people or less. I learned to play lap steel, mandolin and a little bit of banjo and they've been great instruments to create a more intimate feel on a lot of songs. But they are seasoning, not entrees so a little bit goes a long way and overdoing it kinda kills the whole thing.

hotraman likes this.
  5. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

Robert Randolph might differ with your spice vs entree analogy

hotraman likes this.
  6. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Holic

True... but RR grew up in the Sacred Steel guitar church movement. No Hammond B3's but a lot of lap / pedal steel guitars tuned to E7. Which I love,too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.