1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Homemade chicken soup

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stxrus, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

And Mrs Deeve made a chicken thigh Ramen on Sunday night, w/ leftovers for Mon & Tues lunch.
    Noodles gone first night, so the miso is soaking into rice.

Yes on 29 varieties of soup, lentils, beans, rice, curry and some chili now & then.
    Plus points for the tone-pasta.
    ;)

Peace - Deeve

Peegoo likes this.
  2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I like to use a good splash of tone oil on my pasta meals...:D

tone oil.jpg

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I've been making Chicken soup since I was about 15-16 when my Home Etch teacher had us make "stone soup". Basically it's chicken stock with whatever veggies and chicken you can find in the fridge. Over the last few years I've come up with 2 versions a stew and a more traditional soup.

The key to the stew is the rue, the key to the soup is simplicity and time. Oh and they both are great with some fresh made bread.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  4. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Santa Fe guy checking in to say respectfully this soup should change its name.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  5. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

I wish I had something to contribute, but around here my wife makes all the soups. She does such a good job I don’t even try.

I’m the fry cook and grill guy:). And cornbread and biscuits. Plus Mexican grandmother things like making red and green sauce, rellenos, enchiladas, etc.

buster poser and Peegoo like this.
  6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, you're cotributing! Rock on.

dkmw, buster poser and Weazel like this.
  7. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

Not a soup guy here, with the exception of a thick hot tomato soup, and of course the norwegian classic SODD. I prefer stews like Guinness lamb stew, irish stew, boeuf bourguignon and of course my own chilis.

buster poser likes this.
  8. buster poser

Funny, I made rellenos on Saturday too.

dkmw likes this.
  9. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

Two pages, and no mentions of Seinfeld yet...?

dkmw likes this.
  10. dkmw

Where you live, isn’t there a law that says you must make rellenos every week?:)

11. buster poser

No doubt, and at this time of year--end of Hatch harvest--you're expected to make em twice per ;) Made 'em with poblanos this weekend, but have fresh Hatches coming with the co-op delivery this week (again). I must have at least ten pounds of roasted and skinned Hatch in the freezer.

dkmw likes this.
  12. dkmw

We should do another Mex food thread sometime; I’d like to see your rellenos. I’m vertically integrated here, I grow my own Hatch and poblano (along with other chiles). I’m torn on which makes the better rellenos. The zen of roasting and skinning is part of my pseudo-Mexican grandmother thing.

To bring it back to soups, most people don’t know how important sopas are in Mex cooking. Some of the seafood sopas I’ve had in coastal towns were amazing.

buster poser likes this.
  13. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Chicken
    onion
    carrot
    parsnip
    garlic
    parsley
    black pepper
    bay leaf.

If you are making Chicken soup and you have more than these ingredients, it is not Chicken soup, it is now something else.

14. buster poser

Indeed. The big one here is obviously tortilla and I'm not sure I've had it the same way twice, but soup overall is a thing here for sure (and across the old country). One of the local food banks even sponsors a 'Souper Bowl' annually, I think they've been at it 25 years now: https://www.thefooddepot.org/souper-bowl/

Interestingly, when you see "sopa" here, it refers to a specific kind of bread pudding, not soup. Hope I'm remembering that right, it's been a little while since I've looked at a menu ;)

15. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

16. buster poser

I dunno man. All my life and from sea to shining sea, I've dealt with philistines calling their bowl of meat and beans (BEANS!?!) "chili." Only right to allow a little compensatory latitude on "chicken soup."

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yes! No need for cultural hegemony. People all around the world make different types of "chicken soup".

18. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My favorites when cooking are probably fish soups (like creamy salmon soup, fish-solyanka style, clear white fish soup), mushroom soups (both creamy and clear). Then we have this thing called siskonmakkara-soup (basic clear soup, but with certain type of sausages), nordic style pea soup.

There are lot of soups I'd like to eat, but not cooking regularly. Like bouillabaisse, garlic soup, ramens, Mexican, Asian..

Should eat more soup!

buster poser likes this.
  19. buster poser

The culinary cross-pollination of Mauritius was a complete unknown before your posts earlier. Big fan of the constituent cuisines, looking forward to trying both. I imagine quality watercress is going to be a procurement challenge, but I've seen it in salads here... so maybe not.

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My wife's mother (or was it her grandmother?) told be that as a girl her job was to go out to a stream and harvest wild watercress for soup. It was basically a soup for poor people, since you could make it for next to nothing.

buster poser likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.