1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Homemade chicken soup

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stxrus, Oct 26, 2020.

1. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Back on 4/11/20 we made a batch o chicken soup. Actually a rather large batch do we froze half of it. Going through the freezer yesterday we found it and decided chicken soup & ital rice for dinner tonight. Some garlic cheese bread to go along with it and it truly was heaven in a bowl
    Forgot to take pictures so no pix. There is just enough for two bowls as a side dish with maybe grilled cheese sandwiches

We love a good homemade soup. Up next is zucchini soup

Y’all have any good soups you like? Recipes are always welcome

2. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Made one this weekend, a bit more like a stew I guess:

1/2 cup of chicos (what they are here)
    2 cups of anasazi beans (pintos or navys would be great)
    Cup or so of diced potatoes
    1/2 an onion, finally sliced & chopped
    4 Hatch chiles, diced at about 1/4" (edit, you want to roast, skin, de-pod, and de-spine them first of course)
    1 tbsp of hot chile powder
    1/2 pound of thick-cut wild boar bacon, sliced in about 1/2" squares
    2" of water

Instapot overnight to soak, then 35 minutes at full tilt the next morning. Had it for lunch, froze about eight servings.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Something different: Bouillon Cresson (watercress soup). Very simple! You have to like watercress ;)

We have it with sardines. As the video implies, you don't measure -- just toss things in the pot.

telestratosonic and buster poser like this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My wife's background is Mauritian, and their cooking has a mix of Chinese, Indian, French and African influences. This chicken soup is more Chinese. There's a tenet to the cuisine that you can add prawns to anything, including chicken soup!

5. MLHull

MLHull TDPRI Member

Navy bean and ham (hock) soup:

Saute onions and garlic in bacon grease until softened. Add ham hocks, seasoned salt and dried navy beans, cover with several inches of water or stock. Bring to a boil and simmer until beans are starting to fall apart, 2 hrs or so. Pick the meat from the ham hocks and disgard the bones and skin. Return the ham pieces to soup adjust seasoning and serve. Careful with the salt, some hock are more salty than others.

6. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

Hmm.
    Does a jumbo pot-o-chili slow cooked for 8 hours count?

BTW, i agree with the prawn theory. Cant miss.
    Would even work in my chili.

Deeve, telestratosonic and Wildeman like this.
  7. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

We have a two and a half men situation at my place. My son and grandson live with me. Three bachelors. We make a lot of "big soup" for dinner. That's home made soup with a ton of vegetables & meat with rice or pasta. We use low salt packaged soup flavorings and an entire bag of frozen mixed veggies. There's no real recipe other than to see what's on hand. It always turns out great, gives us healthy portions of protein, veggies and starch. Not to mention tomorrows lunch!

8. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

I've been experimenting with lentil soup recipes over the last three weekends. I'm trying to be creative with adding some chipotle flavoring but with not a lot of success. Not that it's bad, it's just not as good as you would think. It tastes just ok. Using the Instant Pot which makes it so easy. And like another poster my experiments end up as a stew and not really a soup, but that's the way I prefer it.

Even though I am a believer in the nutritional value, I am not fond of spinach or kale in my stews. The flavor is good but I can't stand the texture of lettuce-like veggies in a soup! LOL a pet peeve I guess. I like beans, potatoes, carrots, big chunks of celery, my wife turned me on to parsnips which is great in a stew.

The first week I tried adding riced cauliflower to the lentil recipe .... never again. I might experiment with Beyond Burger crumbles, in theory it sounds like it should be a winner.

My experiments continue but I am convinced I will stumble upon the perfect recipe.

Deeve and telestratosonic like this.
  9. Stinger22

Stinger22 TDPRI Member

And don't forget the Garnishes they are KEY. Have some guocamole handy and tortilla chips.........hmmmmmmmmmm

upload_2020-10-26_20-48-19.png

telestratosonic and mfguitar like this.
  10. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I love to make soups. This one sounds great!

Good post.

11. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Funny co-inky-dink! I just came out of a hot kitchen after putting on a huge cauldron of homemade chicken soup to simmer for a few hours. It's got huge chunks of shredded chicken, diced potatos, green beans, peas, lima beans, pinto beans, celery, and carrots, with a dash of sage, some fresh basil, parsley, red and white pepper, a little salt, several healthy shakes of Worcestershire, a few tablespoons of Sriracha, and the obligatory couple of bay leaves. My hunnie loves this stuff, and it will cure most afflictions.

The secret to my recipe is rather than add typical noodles, I use tone pasta for endless sustained yumminess:

[​IMG]

12. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Mmmmm, soup! Its gettin to be soup and stew weather....yesss
    Friggin Cioppino!

Deeve likes this.
  13. stxrus

Hell yes
    We just got a cookbook “Good Food Made Simple: Soup”

There’s 2-3 soup cookbooks we have that are good but some recipes are very complicated. We like simpler

14. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Pretty much any Betty Crocker cookbook that weighs 10 lbs will contain many simple and delicious soup recipes.

15. stxrus

That is very close to ours. The Sriaracha and anything hot is added after the fact because Jackie isn’t a fan of heat
    Rice or pasta will always work.

Peegoo likes this.
  16. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Double Platinum Supporter

I've been making Louisiana Minestrone ever since we visited NOLA years ago. Recipe is from Big Kevin who was a chef at NewOrleans school of cooking. I omit the pasta to keep the carbs down.
    IMG_0537.jpeg

Peegoo likes this.
  17. stxrus

I’m going to print this out and we’ll make it soon. BTW, thanks for the annotations

18. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not a gourmet cook like you guys, but I have something for you. It's a simple shrimp gumbo.

Fix a box of Zatarain gumbo, just follow the package directions. Add a pound of raw shrimp (peeled and deveined) for the last few minutes.

19. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I roasted a chicken this weekend, so it was chicken soup today. I boil the heck out of all the bones, skin and trimmings with a couple of bay leaves. Today I sauteed onion, carrot, celery and garlic in some of the chicken fat I scooped off of the gelled stock, then cooked them with diced gold potatoes in the stock for about 45 minutes. I decided on extra potato instead of noodles this time since I just bought a Costco bag of potatoes this week.

My partner is a vegetarian, so for her I roasted a garden winter squash, some sweet potatoes, carrot and a quartered onion till brown and caramelized, then blended it all with some veggie stock from the freezer (using an immersion blender) with some smoked paprika, a little cumin, a pinch of coriander and some ginger. Viola, instant soup.

We started with a nice big salad like most nights. I'm gearing up to eat all of our Halloween candy, so its nice to get some healthy meals in advance.

telestratosonic likes this.
  20. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

We had ham and bean soup a couple days ago

Starts with a leftover ham and boiling the bone and ham bits, then take out the bone, add more ham bits and beans, maybe some noodles

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.