Home use low volume amp in 2019 THR 10 still the king?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by gizzard, Jul 5, 2019.

1. gizzard

gizzard TDPRI Member

I know tons of threads on this issue as most of us play mainly at home with the family nearby. I recently acquired the new Marshall dsl 1 with the 1/10 watt setting. Swapped the speaker and it’s okay doesn’t really knock my socks off. I still find myself plugging into my thr10 more often as I do think it gets a nicer less boxy sound and very tubelike tones. So my question to fellow home users is: Has anyone found anything else that can out do the thr with or without tubes at low volume with tubelike warmth and richness. Had the katana 50 then 100, and mustang 40 they all went back loved the foot control for the katana and the mustNg but, the tone just wasn’t there compared to the thr. The only downside is the thr sucks with a looper and doesn’t take effect well. So let me know what you got that works for you at home.

2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

The quick answer is no. The biggest compliment i can give the THR10 is that I have one on the shelf in my office and in the next room are all my other gear. I have many vintage Blackface amps, Silverface amps, boutique builds, and some really old vintage amps from the '40's, yet I just spent an hour playing through the THR10. Admittedly, I normally just use one setting (clean...aka Twin), but it just works so well in a home setting. Effects are good, sound is excellent, and no fuss.

It remains the king of the mountain to me and worth every cent.

3. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

So my answer is NO

I still use it every day at home and even used it line wise directly to the PA a couple of times.

But I have a small one that take out more than the THR. I have a 7W Fender Passport mini. Small, sounds good, can plug a mic and to me... I can tweak the amps and leave at the computer those I don't use. I mean, I have four Bassmans and three Tweed Deluxes with TS808 and some with slapback echo and pull out of the amp those Mesa Booguie ands AC30s I never use.

[​IMG]

BUT is a cheap second hand option for busking, travelling and moving from place to place. The first and better is the reliable and old THR10 nothing beats it so far

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I use a Blackstar fly3. For ac/dc style tones at low volume it's hard to beat imo.
    Super simple to use too. The clean isn't bad either. I have no need for multi fx at home and if I need them I can always plug in the pedal board.

I have other options, blues junior, Blackstar ht-5 head. Orange, jmp, Mustang 1, purple wind, class 5 head.
    I prefer the fly 3 for it's plug and play simplicity and nice low volume tone.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    Milspec, Jim622 and hrstrat57 like this.
  5. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

I owned a THR10C for a couple of years, bought it because I was moving. It did sound big and full for its size. As for tone, I really only liked the Deluxe Reverb mode. It sat in the it’s box, in a closet, for almost the full time that I owned it. I just preferred using my tube amps with pedals when I wanted to play at low volume.

I ended up using the THR10C in a multi-gear trade and I have not missed it.

I did recently pick up a mint 80’s Marshall 30 watt SS amp with a 12” Celestion speaker to use as a “Living Room” practice amp. This thing just seems to work better fo me, plus it could keep up with a drummer as a grab-and-go amp. It really sounds good with a couple of effects pedals in front of it and would be a good backup amp in a band.

72C964D9-5CFF-4138-AE5C-81A9039310DE.jpeg

RiverDog likes this.
  6. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

Yeah, I had the 10C for a couple of weeks and sold it. The plain THR10 sounds MUCH MUCH better than the C

7. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I use a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 at home or anywhere. I play clean, sometimes just at the edge of breakup, and I use my Express on the 25 watt setting. I can switch to the 5 watt setting for crunch or blow the windows out on the high gain channels. THR 10 or a small Boss Katana are great for portability. I played through a THR 10 in Hawaii a couple years back and it was good, but only as good as a 10 watt solid state amp with tiny speakers can be. My only problem with my Express is my wife getting mad if I leave it out. It's a little heavy to lift or even slide across the floor.

gridlock likes this.
  8. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

I couldn't image not using any amp i own at any vol required. They all do it from barley on to live. Some simple adjustments.

JL_LI and Frodebro like this.
  9. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

Attenuator, I feel like I rarely see this mentioned.
    Bought a new amp and it's far too loud for where I live.
    So I use this.
    http://drzamps.com/product/brake-lite-sa/

They vary in price fairly dramatically, you can get one for 99$ or go as far as a couple thousand.

rze99 likes this.
  10. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

For me, my 65 PRRI is perfect. It does not choke out at low volumes.

11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I guess it depends a lot on what kind of budget you're working with and if you need the main feature of the THR series, portability.

On the higher priced to mid priced side of home use, I think you can get the best, scalable volume, results with modelers (or tube heads with a load box) working with IR and FRFR speakers. If you really wanted to get into some money, a Kemper. I use Hotone Nano heads and a Mooer Radar going into my Peavey Bandit as my cheapskates solution. I also think the options available on the Boss Katana, Fender Mustang and Vox are better than the THR, especially with the larger (10"+) speakers.

As for a portable solution, I'd rank them the best although they cost a good bit more than their competitors. Their problem is that the Boss, Vox and Blackstar portables are very close to them in terms of sound and a lot less expensive.

12. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I use mine for a headphone amp off my computer and to monitor stand alone plugins. Use it every day.

But, my 77 Princeton Amp gets more actual guitar use in my home studio. If I am recording, there are several amp options in the garage. The Yamaha worked on just a couple scenarios and over time was relegated to headphone amp duty.

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

It is probably still king of the small portables IMO. I have never owned one, but I have played them and if I was not so smitten with my retubed/respeakered Greta 2w, I'd probably own one. The Yammy really is quite amazing and agree, the DRR voice is the goto spot on the dial so to speak. To me, it is hard to beat the excitement of playing tubes, but the THR gets darn close at low volume and much more versatile than my Greta. I'm after vintage sound, so it is still a bit sterile for me ... but that is just me and perhaps a little too fussy about these things.

14. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I use my HX stomp through the flat channel on my thr10c. That’s king for me.

15. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Standard THR10 is incredibly satisfying to me in my small music studio. I play on the clean (Bass) channel, with a bit of reverb and some Compressor dialed in. Awesome tone. And, it has USB output to send the signal (with effects) to the Mac for recording.

I never play my larger tube amps in my music studio anymore.

THR10 tone is great. Effects are excellent (and many). Output to larger studio monitors, when desired, is easy and sounds good too. And runs on AA batteries, if desired.

[​IMG]

16. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

My boss ME50 into my non verb Princeton or my vibrochamp. Done!

17. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Had 2 THR's got rid of them and got a Vox Adio, wish I still had the THR's...

18. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I live in a third floor condo. If I'm in the spare room I run two Blackstar Club 40s in stereo

20181127_220859.jpg

If I'm in the living room it's a Blackstar HT20 MKII in stereo with a H&K Tubemiester 36

20181026_173642.jpg

No complaints from the neighbors

19. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

I had the THR-5, but I liked my Pignose better so I sold the THR.

Since then I got a Blackstar Fly 3 that I also really like.

20. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

My nephew did say he saw Vince Gill play a gig in Nashville using a miked THR-10

Milspec likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.