Home studio amplification

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by TwoBear, Jul 27, 2021.

1. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Home studio amplification- what are people using? Sony STR-DE 825 receiver I think is my first weak point. The speakers are one pair each of Polk audio bookshelves and The clearer picture on the shelf next to the green tote are a pair of unknown garage sale speakers that to me don’t sound hideous but have a curve, and more output at the same volume, over the flatter sounding Polk’s. I have two headphones, one I just got are Audio Technica ath M 30, The other are a pair of bass forward beats copies some company named Fosto. On the floor is a Bowers and Wilkins subwoofer. I don’t use it much as I’m pretty satisfied with what comes out of the little monitors volume wise.
    My big problem is I’m never sure with that receiver if the controls are set flat. I got it probably from Salvation Army and I don’t have a remote. I’m never sure if I’m defeating the internal signal processing and the EQ. Often times the pod go sounds like it’s almost a cocked wah type of thing going on.
    With my board- the Xenix 1202fx and the output from the Digitech looper shouldn’t I have enough to not need a preamp? Could I search out a inexpensive power amp? Just flat and dedicated to amplification?
    Edit; I will add that there are bass middle and treble cursors-which I all set to 0+ or minus, but I have to pick a frequency. Let’s say 80 to 1k for bass, 500 to 3K for mid, and 2K to18k for treble. I’m just guessing, from what I’ve seen. Is there somewhere I could set these to get a moderately flat response?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  2. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

Just get a power amp and lose the Sony. I was using a nice Carver receiver for a long time, and I ended up replacing it with a Peavey 100W power amp. Cost $75 used, works great, and has the proper connections for input and speaker outs.

Coffeemutt and TwoBear like this.
  3. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

The only question I can answer is the first one, sorry. I just use powered monitors and a USB audio interface. For my size room, I chose 5" speakers. I place them at shoulder/ear level and get to know them well. No need to make it more complicated than that. Headphones are nice too; I like open-back comfortably-padded over-ears when appropriate.

Frodebro, Buell and TwoBear like this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

TwoBear likes this.
  5. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Couple thoughts...does the receiver-as-power-amp have an aux in that bypasses the tone-shaping?

If not, I think it’s less important than a lot of people seem to think to achieve 100% flat reference reproduction when you’re probably in a substandard mixing environment anyway. You likely don’t have a neutral listening space with non-parallel walls, no room modes, no bass traps etc.

Instead, use what you have, but adjust it to a sort of median “sounds good and balanced” by auditioning a diverse array of music you like and are familiar with. Can you get hip-hop, zydeco, “Take 5,” hard rock, etc etc to sound good to you, after some fiddling?

If so, tweak it and trust your ears and don’t be afraid of weird numbers on the display. Once you have baseline settings, consider it tuned for your application and listening situation, and Mix some stuff on it and check it against other systems whenever possible.

Sometimes I do reference checks in our many-speakered factory minivan system, which has a huge built-in mid scoop—what the hell kind of listeners are buying minivans now?—but by rolling off some bass, boosting the mids and setting treble flat or maybe 1 dB below flat, it sounds great with anything I can stand to listen to. And sounds like what I expect to hear on stuff I’ve listened to for years on all kinds of systems. So I’m confident it’s in a reasonable playback ballpark.

So maybe the stuff you have there has enough range to do the same for you, without having to buy stuff.

You can spend as much as you can imagine on playback gear, and install it in a substandard space, or you can get it in the ballpark and get back to creating, not striving for ultimate playback. Not everyone shares this view, but maybe it will apply to your beliefs/needs/site limitations.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    TwoBear and Peegoo like this.
  6. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Also meant to say that if the receiver really isn’t going to cut it, after experiments with auditioning music, pre-class-D power amps are waaaaay cheap these days. I picked up a monaural Peavey M-3000 for about $40 and a Crown MicroTech 600 for about $80 to have two different power levels for my bass rig. Keep an eye on CL; they’re out there. I don’t see any reason not to try and get that receiver to work though, since you already have it.

TwoBear likes this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

20210330_082214.jpg

miguelalmeida, LiteAsh and TwoBear like this.
  8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

for a small set up a pair of powered 5-8 inch monitors can be bought used for very reasonable ,plugged directly into your mixers monitor output that way your mains can go to what ever recording device you have , no poweramp needed . that is the simplest high quality solution. and you wont be sorry,

I use a set of 8 inch at my console and a set of 5 inch at my synth station both are perfect for my needs

Lawdawg and TwoBear like this.
  9. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

another convert to powered monitors. i picked up a set of JBLs on sale and they are good enough for my purposes.

TwoBear likes this.
  10. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

I like the idea, well actually I like all of these ideas, but I’m sort of leaning towards the power ramp because I’m actually thinking of playing a lot more bass. At my old age I’m afraid I may have spent all my time and career playing guitar but I actually enjoy the Bass possibly more. I’m not now and I don’t have to play for my living any more. I just record at home for fun, and I go out busking for fun, and meeting people also, and tips are cool. I haven’t looked for a long time I didn’t know the power amps could be bought for that cheap.

11. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

To be really honest... I think your weakest link is the speakers... both the Polks and the garage sale finds. The Polks are likely great sounding speaker, but they are not studio monitors. You need something that reveals the faults rather than something that makes everything sound good.

IMO... I'd get a decent set of powered monitors, then keep the Sony/Polk combo as the 2nd point of reference.

miguelalmeida, Frodebro and TwoBear like this.
  12. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

Yeah I hear you it was always a tossup in my mind about the speakers or the amplification. With the same amp, the speakers sound drastically different. The cheapies are in the main A choice and the Polks are in the B selector. I figured they were both the same but I should switch the wires and try them. I’ve got a vintage Nikko 60watt with only bass and treble, but if I remember right I was shoving a pencil in between the RCA’s to help a contact going bad inside so pulling it out would lead to me opening it up and fixing that. The little flakes turn into snow balls running down the mountain...

24 track likes this.
  13. 24 track

I use an alpha Nikko preamp and an alpha Nikko 230 power head for my non powered monitors (yorkville Pulse 12 " and horn ) they sound very clear and clean .

TwoBear likes this.
  14. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I use two Boston Minis and a small KLH sub. I'm in a small area.

TwoBear likes this.
  15. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Mostly powered/active studio monitors.

If you play bass, i would suggest a pair with at least 7" or 8" woofers.

I don't see how your current monitoring setup can work to give you a true reference. Not to say it won't work at all or that it's some kind of tragedy. Of course, If it works for you, great.

Frodebro likes this.
  16. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

That’s sort of what I was getting at, I believe I’m hearing a almost cocked wah Type of frequency either hump or dip I don’t know what to call it. I’m never sure that I can bypass the EQ section or even set it flat. I set the bass mid treble Controls at flat 0 as far as Concerns the plus or minus of each band, but I’m forced to pick frequencies of each band. Bass is 100 Hz to 1K, with bands every 10 or 15Hz to pick from. Mid is 500 Hz to 5K. Treble is 1K to 10 K, so they overlap each other. I wish it just had a pre-out power in. I lived with it OK but once I got the pod go it seemed as I said a frequency was standing out. Also one of the past problems I had was when loading songs to SoundCloud I could have a mix it sounded OK at home but would be obnoxiously way forward especially with percussion, Or clean guitars that sounded OK here but then were nonexistent there, Or a bass part that sounded distorted but sounded fine here. It’s not a major problem I mean it’s just fun recordings into my stereo looper, but I would like them to sound as good as they could.

24 track likes this.
  17. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for that what about your power? If I may ask?

18. Chipss36

Chipss36 Tele-Holic

Near field studio monitors are by design brutality honest.

home speakers are much less fatiguing, have a warmer sound, more “fun” to listen to.
    But are not very accurate.

I would look for a set of powered home studio monitors.

getting a mix to translate is what this is all about.

Frodebro and TwoBear like this.
  19. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

Did you see where I posted what the bands are of EQ? The bass is 80-100Hz to 1K, The mid is 500Hz to 5K, and the treble is 1K to 10 K. If I don’t choose to increase or decrease any of these bands and I leave them all at zero, in degrees of boost or cut, and then I don’t choose any bandwith, is that effectively flat for this receiver?

20. 24 track

this where a true set of monitors come into play to give you a closer reading to what is recorded , I have a device called a REAL TIME ANALYZER this allows me to see how a room is tuned , by placing a mic in your sweet spot listening area nd running a set of specific frequencies through your monitors it will tell you if you have humps or dips in your listening area , also with the use of an equalizer you can modify the signal to flat

it requires a special mic to hear the full spectrum of sound

s-l1600.jpg

and the anlysre that I have is this one

2690490-280e5ae9-audiocontrol-rta-sa3050.jpg

but this is really specific stuff here

what you need is a propers st of monitors set at equal distance from your ears in the sweet spot for listening you will be surprised how good it sounds

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    TwoBear likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.