Home solar backup power developments

bigbean

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
It seems like the developments in the home solar power back up space are happening monthly. I'm not talking about the corporate solutions from Tesla, Generac and so forth. I'm talking about Telecaster owners solutions.

I just watched a review on an all-in one 240 v product that is rated at 6000 watts () . An all in one combines the functions of solar charging of batteries, uninterruptable power supply and A/C power inverter into one housing. The other components required for a complete system are batteries and solar panels.

To give a sense of scale, my gasoline back up generator is 5,000 watts with a 6500 watt surge capability. It will run the water pump, two refrigerators, the furnace motor, sump pump ( all intermittent loads) and some lights. Which means it won't run air conditioning, clothes washer, dish washer, microwave, electric stove and other stuff. It's also not a true sine wave inverter so it has the more than a theoretical ability to damage the attached pump and fan motors.

Last year was the first time that credible 3,000 watt inverter based products were available for the DIY people morons like me. (https://www.bluettipower.com/products/ac300-b300) When things double again to 12,000 watts (this will probably require two housings and about a 4' x 4' wall space) we are there. The battery and solar panel space are half a year more advanced (LiFePo's) so it is possible to see the shape of a home power system. The form factor for batteries that is winning is the server rack shaped product. Solar panel standardization of sizes and connectors have stabilized. A used market for panels and batteries is also already there. There are people repurposing used EV car batteries from Tesla and Nissan to store energy from solar.

Once the playing field gets standardized then it becomes a typical "race to zero" for pricing just like all consumer electronic devices. I'm guessing another two years for that to happen. There is a lot of money being spent by people world wide in this category so the race is well under way.

It's already possible to bolt enough crap together to perform this function but it isn't down to a three component solution yet.

Soon though.

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I'd like to see a solar solution in my lifetime, but ROI (for me) is off the table without a magnitude jump in the technology. In 30 years, I have probably lost power due hurricanes a total of 10 days. My 7.5kW gas generator won't power central air, but I can (and have) run 3 window units which make a few rooms comfortable (heating is not an issue).

Thanks for the update.

screefer

Tele-Afflicted
Very impressed with the links provided. Lithium batts are coming way down.
I just repowered my 48 volt bank with flooded Rolls/Surrettes 235 amp hours.
$1000 Cnd. The ones in the link are $1575 real money for 100 amp hours but way longer life expectancy.

Just like when the salt bank sailing schooners were replaced by Trawlers within a few years and the last Stage Coach pulled into Weed Cal. and the passengers got off and hopped on a bus. Progress is jerky but super fast in retrospect....Steamboat era was only twenty years. Only 66 years between Wright bros. and Armstrong. Pony express....etc. etc.

Thanks for your post!

bigbean

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
In the last ten years I have had four days without power.

Where this stuff is going could allow me to turn off First Energy on purpose maybe ninety days a year.

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
PSA: Beware the door-to-door solar scam Tip 0: "Start walking or I'm calling the police".

1642372889556.png

PC_Hater

Tele-Meister
I have solar panels and would go off grid but the cost of the batteries pays for about 20 years of gas and electricity, and I expect to be dead by then...
However, security of supply is another matter. The infrastucture in the UK is creaking, I expect it to fall over so I have a log burner so I can keep warm no matter what.
Will things get worse?
Probably.
It makes the cost of a battery setup seem reasonable and logical...

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
The move towards solar and a simultaneous move towards electric vehicles is destined for failure. I can't believe experts can't see the huge problems it will cause. It's all about coming authoritarianism worldwide.