Home Security Systems

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jumpnblues, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

Dog.

Engine Swap and Ed Storer like this.
  2. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

they don't listen, they record...................forever....disk space is cheap in the cloud..
    don't know about you, but many a thing I've said in jest or in truth, I wouldn't want to go beyond my 4 walls..

Telekarster likes this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I saw the hysteria about sidewalk and just kind of laughed. Their intent is probably benign, but their execution was idiotic.

Built my own system around an application that runs on a computer. I use a mac mini for the app, I have 6 hard wired cameras (made my kid run the cable) I only use perimeter cameras (none inside the home) to protect my home in my absence. I have really good industrial quality cameras I got on ebay (panasonic) I think the software was 400.00 and then 35.00 a year for updates.

I get texts on motion and it triggers based on my settings. I can view remotely and I do backups of the video and pictures to either their cloud repository or my designee. I use my own cloud storage which is 2.00 a month.

I don't use any of the devices that listen. I do use a nest (and like it) I have apple tv 4k (2 rooms) and really like them as well.

I have dogs and firearms, but, realistically, the cameras and intrusion systems are for forensics and deterrence to protect the dogs and firearms. Our dogs are well trained, but not as protection dogs and it is uncertain how they would behave in an intrusion, they would bark prior, but other than a minor deterrence, I don't have any expectation of them protecting the house (that dog passed a year and a half ago) and if I'm not home, the weapons won't do much.

If we're at home, the text is a good head's up prior to entry, again, I know the statistics for home invasions and gun use, which leads me to have a camera and intrusion system. We do not have a police force in our town, so, quick response is unlikely, the home grown system is reliable, and I've twice been able to provide video of vehicles and plates for cars that were involved in crimes that the police saw one of my cameras while driving by and asked for the footage. I was able to edit and forward it to them quickly.

My mom and sisters all have ring systems and are happy. If you are going to put a device like an apple tag on your dogs or on your kid's backpack, the sidewalk stuff is pretty cool for helping you track and find them... so, it could be kind of 'neighborly' but not opting in and fully explaining is just terrible human interaction.

buster poser likes this.
  4. magicfingers99

check the NEST for a mic, hot glue it.
    if you haven't taken it apart, you don't really own it....

getbent likes this.
  5. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

When we are home, even if the alarm isn't armed, my ears are trained for the panel beep and the following text beep when a door or 1st floor window sensor is tripped. They are all shock sensors, they will go off if you even jiggle the door or window. Gives a nice heads up before anyone can get too far into the house before I am up and armed...

getbent likes this.
  6. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's

There's always a price to pay for convienience. The only question is what one is willing to pay for it, and how ;)

getbent likes this.
  7. magicfingers99

a nice board with a mess a tacks glued on it under every winder, works pertty good too..
    noiser than the beeps, its mostly oouch ow, eeeeeee!
    Larn me some new cuss words everytime them crackheads come by...

8. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Are you kidding, I would wind up stepping on those. :lol::lol::lol:

I have to admit, probably not too much to worry about right now other than the critters.
    We currently have a black bear and a mountain lion wandering our neighborhood. :eek:

Untitled.png

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  9. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Telekarster likes this.
  10. getbent

that is funny! It is a terrible thing to admit to.... but, I cannot count the number of times that my wife or I have left the fob for her car IN her car and unlocked.

I'm not saying there is no crime in our area (I hear of tools being stolen out of trucks) but, it is soooo quiet where we live, I always think the crimes I hear about are relatives of the victim.

11. magicfingers99

if your tv goes missing, I'd suspect the black bear, they seem to have a lot of free time on their hands...

12. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's

Actually.... I think I read somewhere years ago that this is, statistically, usually the case! LOL!! :)

getbent likes this.
  13. getbent

my nest is pregoogle. no mic.

14. magicfingers99

pregoogle, isn't that what they used to call "the normal world"?

Frodebro likes this.
  15. getbent

like when we'd go to AskJeeves? or the 1973 Enyclopedia Brittanica? Normal is just a construct... a wishlist...

btw, the devices do listen and not just record. There are 'keys' and triggers that change the level of recording and retention. They are a lot smarter than people actually understand...

I'm very careful about what i let in and work through the tradeoffs so that I have a sense of what the value proposition is....

I put one honker of a camera right in front on my house... it is probably the best deterrent... the rest is all forensics...

Masmus likes this.
  16. magicfingers99

forensics, thats like foreplay for detectives, aint it?

getbent likes this.
  17. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Holic

We have a ring and I like it but we don't rely on it. My wife has a large dog 90lbs, that is territorial with strangers and after that there is always the Glock.

18. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Our 70-pound pit bull is pretty good at deterring unauthorized entry. She's never bitten a person or another dog, but she has a convincing bark.

Fortunately, we haven't had a problem with porch pirates - they would be protected by the front door.

19. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

:)

_MementoMori_ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.