Home rig: monitors instead of headphones

Ron C

Tele-Holic
These days my home rig for electric noodling and practice is just a guitar into:

-Focusrite Scarlette Solo
-GarageBand on a Mac (various Fender amp emulations)
-AKG K240 headphones

I very rarely plug into a real amp at home.

But every now and then I'd rather skip the headphones. Do any of you use a setup like this, but with monitors instead of headphones? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks,
Ron

KC

Friend of Leo's
I have a pair of JBL LSR-305 powered monitors on either side of my monitor. (All I need now is a monitor lizard.) They sound good to me, translate well to other playback systems. Plus they seem to go on sale for dirt cheap from time to time. My lockdown rig is a Fractal FM-3 direct into the computer; I can record direct to Logic or play along with Youtube backing tracks. I have found that playing along with the backing tracks has really improved my playing.

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Do any of you use a setup like this, but with monitors instead of headphones? If so, any recommendations?

Hi.

Not really for practice, but I do play a lot through a very similar setup for recording, just using a 2i2 and Logic Pro X instead. So, basically the same sound.

I have Yamaha HS5 powered monitors. 5 inch, so not the greatest bass response for mixing (if you hear it, it's enough), but sound fine with guitar. It's not like a real guitar amp of course, but it would be fine for practice I think.

The Yamaha HS series constantly get good reviews for their price. Also, the Presonus Eris E5s are well rated.

Additionally, someone posted about their studio monitors here the other day and I looked them up, and while more expensive, from the reviews they sound like they are great for their price too - Adam T7V.

The flip side would be to get something like a Yamaha THR10 (or 5). Depending on what model and if new or used, you'd be looking at less money through to a very approx $100 more than something like the HS5s (for the cheaper of the newest THR10II versions?).

Would sound better and be nicer to play. Mine def is, which is why I never use the monitors, etc. for practice. Also has headphone option of you want to go silent.

Pax/
Dean

Rich_S

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I'm using my 18 Watter clone into a DIY dummy load box, through a Hughes & Kettner Red Box for cabinet simulation. That goes into my Scarlett 2i2 and a pair of Kali LP6 monitors. I can use my Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones if I really need to be quiet.

Ron C

Tele-Holic
Thanks all - appreciate the solid suggestions.

The flip side would be to get something like a Yamaha THR10 (or 5). Depending on what model and if new or used, you'd be looking at less money through to a very approx $100 more than something like the HS5s (for the cheaper of the newest THR10II versions?).

Would sound better and be nicer to play. Mine def is, which is why I never use the monitors, etc. for practice. Also has headphone option of you want to go silent.

Pax/
Dean

Very good point about the THR 5 or 10. Fewer wires that way too.

I've gotten used to practicing in the more civilized parts of the house, really anywhere that has a spot for a laptop. Most so-called practice amps have left me cold but I've heard good things about the THR, and your comparison between it and your monitors pushes me in that direction.

tele12

Poster Extraordinaire
These days my home rig for electric noodling and practice is just a guitar into:

-Focusrite Scarlette Solo
-GarageBand on a Mac (various Fender amp emulations)
-AKG K240 headphones

I very rarely plug into a real amp at home.

But every now and then I'd rather skip the headphones. Do any of you use a setup like this, but with monitors instead of headphones? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks,
Ron

Iloud Micro monitors, really small, portable and they sound great.

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
- Scarlett 4i4
- Ampire in Studio One
- JBL 306P MkIIs

I barely scratched the surface before my new flooring arrived a month early and put me to work instead of play. What I heard sounded phenomenal and I can't wait to get back to it.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
I have a Yamaha THR that I use if I'm playing in the garden, a Roland BA 330 that gets a workout every other month. On the odd occasion I fire up the 2 Bose L1 M2 for a blast. But I haven't owned a guitar amp in 10 years since selling the Boogie.
Most of the time (every day tbh) I just go through an amp sim into a Touchmix and into a pair of IEMs or my KRK Rokits which are connected to my DAW.
I don't think I'd know how to get a decent sound from a guitar amp anymore.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Here's my setup, sort of (some pedals have changed since the photo was taken). When I want to keep the volume low I run the amps into the Bugera load box then into the IR Cab pedal. From there, it goes into the Behringer mixer where I can direct the signal to headphones, recording on my PC or the PA speakers. That way I can get a good sound at a wife friendly volume.

20210330_082214.jpg

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
Soon I am going to start messing around with Helix (HX Stomp) into a basic Behringer floor monitor I have and also into some Polk towers powered by one of the new little Class D amps. I have nothing to report yet though.
At home I normally use a THR10C or an AC30 turned way way down when I need to be quiet which is often these days.

radtz

Tele-Holic
Depending on where your set-up is, you could run a cable from your laptop into your home stereo/TV surround sound system. Obviously you wouldn't use this for critical listening, mixing, or mic recording. It works fine for listening to your laptop output.

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

Very good point about the THR 5 or 10. Fewer wires that way too.

I tell you what too, not only does it have a ‘big and full’ sound at low (or loud) levels and the lack of need for extra cables you mentioned, but it can run off batteries (or internal rechargeable ones for the newer models). Makes it (almost) effortless to use in the garden, the kitchen, the porch, the car, etc. I often throw a Tele, one cable and my THR in the car when I know I’m going to have to wait at my son’s rugby practice, etc.

And, if you want, will work as an interface too.

I guess the question may actually be, how much home recording do you do? Cos I think a mix of headphones and monitors are very useful for that. While I don’t think your idea is the best solution for practising, it might still yield the greatest utility if you record a lot.

Pax/
Dean

Beebe

Tele-Holic
You mean an amp?

Just kidding, but... You should be able to plug a small amp right into one of the output channels of your interface with a regular guitar cable. And if you can't get it to sound right try a re-amp box.

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
JBL LSR - I have used many pairs of them. And from the bottom of the line to the top, you get what you pay for. For what it is worth, I have worked with JBL throughout my career, never the absolute best product and never the worst. They always seem to hit the sweet spot.

Len058

Tele-Meister
I use the Presonus eris e3.5 active monitors, for the money they are really great! You can also get the Bluetooth version if you'd like to use them for music from your smart device.