1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Home Recording Software

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Mark-spark86, Jan 21, 2021.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Funny to see someone post Beato's Apple hatchet job which has not aged well. He should stick to music.

As for the OP, $200 is an extremely great value for Logic Pro X. Free updates, tweaked to work efficiently with your Mac with far more features than necessary for casual home recording but with limitless potential as you advance in your recording journey.

Personally I have given up on amp sim plug-ins. I much prefer a mic'd amp even at bedroom volumes.

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I use GB on an iPad. Zero latency and dead quiet; I use none of the amps and guitar effects. All my sounds are from a mic or a Line 6 POD HD. This gets me the best results.

I have no need or use for plug-ins. To my way of thinking they're just a huge unnecessary rabbit hole.

[​IMG]

telestratosonic likes this.
  3. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi again.

Well, you already have a Mac, so you can safely rule out or ignore any kind of PC vs Mac argument anyone injects. That choice has been made.

And again, you already have GarageBand and it's free / included.

Now, that isn't necesarily an endorsment for GarageBand. My point here is, basically they all do the same thing. It's been pointed out in various places (no links, cos I can't be bothered looking for them, sorry) that familiarity is the most important thing with DAWs and to just pick one, learn it and stick with it. In your case, I'd favour GarageBand cos you already have it and, if you wish, it offers a seamless upgrade path to Logic Pro X, which is a world class DAW - as are others, admittedly, but we're back to the 'they all work great, just pick one' argument.

But, there are I feel, other reasons to stick with GarageBand (& poss Logic in the future). Free upgrades, custom developed for your OS, academic pricing for Logic if you or anyone in your household qualifies, etc. But, the big one for me is Drummer. Drummer is flippin' fantastic. Multiple styles, kits, etc. It has a brilliant interface, but if you want to, you can go much deeper to edit it. It's just great. I could be wrong, but I don't think any other DAWs come with anything similar, or at least as powerful included / for free. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will point it out.

My two cents worth.*

Pax/
    Dean
    * &, you only have to be inside three cents to be in tune :)

Peegoo and telestratosonic like this.
  4. Mark-spark86

Mark-spark86 TDPRI Member

That's what I'd like to do eventually. Would make it a lot easier as someone who is just messing around and getting to know things. have to wait to get a new ipad first.
    running things off my laptop at the moment which is fine but getting a bit slow and the battery is shot. oh well

5. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You don't have to "turn off" the amp. You just pick the "microphone" icon track when you create the project and add a track for your guitar input. The only active plugins [I just saw] on the track or master were EQ, and they were set flat, so you could turn it off without changing a thing, if you want.
    Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 12.19.30 PM.png

simoncroft likes this.
  6. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Easy.... don't use them!
    Every other DAW comes with their own presets and effects as well... some people use them, some don't.

Last time I looked Garageband takes 3rd party plugins. There is no shortage of amp and effect plugins you can get to extend the life of Garageband. Should you move to another DAW at another time those 3rd party plugins will still work fine!

Mark-spark86 likes this.
  7. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

I have to throw in another vote for Reaper.

It runs on Windows, MacOS and Linux. The Linux version runs on Intel and ARM, which means Raspberry Pi if you're on a budget. It's also not officially-supported, but I haven't had it burp once. Projects produced on one platform work just fine on the others.

You can try it with all functions enabled for 60 days and a license for personal or non-commercial-under-$20K-annual-revenue use is a very-reasonable $60. And they don't mind if you use the same license key on multiple machines as long as you don't run it on two at once.

Mark-spark86 likes this.
  8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

That's how I do it. You can go in later and change the EQ, add reverb, delay, compression, etc. They're all remarkably good sounding effects.

Mark-spark86 likes this.
  9. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Before trying out a bunch of DAWs, I would strongly recommend you work with GarageBand for a while and see how you like it. It's not that GB is necessarily better, but every DAW will have a significant learning curve at the start that requires you to invest some time before making a judgment on whether it works for you. In addition to being free, if you end up liking GB and upgrade to Logic Pro X, your GB projects will transfer easily.

In terms of bang for buck, Logic Pro X is really unbeatable. There's no comparable DAW+plugin+VST instrument package anywhere near the $200 price of Logic. Apple uses its software to sell you more Apple hardware so they more or less give it away.

If I was going to move away from Logic, I'd definitely give Reaper some strong consideration since it is quite inexpensive but has a strong user base and reputation.

10. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

The only drawback I've found with Garageband is the convoluted process to export stems into another DAW when working with my Mac using mates and then all of us using Reaper.

Mark-spark86 likes this.
  11. Mark-spark86

That’s how I’ve done a few bits so far, pretty simple to do and pretty easy to work out how to turn amps etc off.

Peegoo likes this.
  12. Mark-spark86

Thanks for all the input, downloaded Reaper which I’ll have a play with tomorrow as well as a further dive into GB.

13. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Holic

Because he's already got a Mac, so why would he buy a PC as well? DAWs running on PCs can be fine, but that's not what the OP is asking.

I've pointed this out before and I'll point it out again: The Apple Macs Beato's click-bait video criticises are 10 years old. In more recent videos, I've seen Beato using Macs, so presumably he agrees with the entire Hollywood movie production industry in using them as the de-facto platform.

For Mac users, the natural DAW progression is GarageBand/Logic Pro. It's not obligatory, but it is the one that gives forward compatibility, and a very stable UNIX to work from.

14. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I use the version of Cubase that came free with my THR10C, but it only works with the Yamaha amps, so for my Fender Mustang LT25 I use Cakewalk, which is free, and Mixpad from NCH software, with is technically a 14 day free trial, but after it stops working, just go to uninstall it and it'll prompt you, and allow you to keep it as long as it's for home use only.

15. EugeneWeemich

EugeneWeemich TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

16. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Let us know what you think of reaper. I'm using Audacity now. It's super simple and I'm not real techy, nor do I have a ton of patience for computers. BUT, my drummer started using reaper and I've had other people recommend reaper to me that I trust. So I think I'm going to at least try it.

17. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

Fair warning: Reaper does have a learning curve, but once you get over that, it's quite powerful.

suthol likes this.
  18. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

Yeah, at first my drummer was like, no way. But then after figuring some things out he is warming up to it. He's a bit more techy than me though. Uh oh. LOL.

Mark-spark86 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.