HOME RECORDING DAY ONE HELP NEEDED

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Telecaster88, May 19, 2020.

1. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

Hey everyone. About a year and a half ago I bought a bunch of home recording stuff-- some mics, cords, DAW (PreSonus Studio One), and interface (Focusrite 2i2 2G), but I've been too afraid to sit down and start plugging it all together. I'm not very tech-savvy, and I have no experience with home recording, outside of old four track cassette stuff in the early nineties (and I wasn't running things, just playing while my knowledgeable friends handled the recording side).

Today I finally took the Focusrite out of the box. I downloaded the driver, plugged it in the computer. I was told in the instructions to go into my Sound Settings (I'm on Windows 10) and make the Focusrite the default recording and playback device, and then to make sure it was the default interface in Studio One. I did that stuff, but now my computer speakers won't work. I can toggle back and forth between the Focusrite and the laptop speakers, but is there a way to have both going at the same time?

I was planning to just use the speakers I have as monitors when recording. After thinking about it a bit, I figure I can get an adapter to convert my speakers' 3.5 plug to the Focusrite's 1/4" headphone output, and then I could use the headphone out to monitor. So I have an adapter on order.

Am I missing something obvious? I hope I worded my question properly, I'm a complete novice at recording. Thank you.

Rob L likes this.
  2. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Powered studio monitors plugged into the two interface outputs would work much better for recording.

3. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Try the playback device setting back on PC.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The PreSonus replaces your computers internal sound card when it is selected as the input/output (I/O) device, which is why you cannot hear the computers internal speakers. You can monitor through headphones or external speakers (connected to the PreSonus) when it is the active I/O) device.

Step two: Getting started with Studio One. YouTube is about to become your best friend for the next few months. Start with the very basics, then work your way up as you go.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=presonus+studio+one+tutorial

5. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I agree with @Frodebro...

Just use headphones for now and keep moving. The last thing you need is to get bogged down and lose motivation.

Once you get going and start seeing results, then wrap up those loose ends... otherwise your stuff may sit around for another year...

naveed211 and Biffasmum like this.
  6. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

Thank you! That helps my brain wrap around what's happening.

Thanks, my problem is that I have hyperacusis and can't use headphones when overdubbing... The last time I recorded, in March, we just used the studio monitors to play the backing track quietly, while I tracked the vocals without phones. It worked fine, there was hardly any bleed at all, but I goofed up the lyrics to one song, so that's my current assignment: redo the vocal track at home.

If we weren't living in "these uncertain times," I could just drive to my drummer's house and retrack the vocals in five minutes, but no, I have to learn how to do it myself! :p

AxemanVR and LutherBurger like this.
  7. Frodebro

The learning curve is steep right at the beginning, but following the tutorials will get you past that point quicker than you would imagine. I spent quite a bit of time watching Logic Pro tutorials when I was starting out about 11 years ago, and that took most of the pain out of it. Then, once the basics became easy-peasey I moved on to the more advanced functions and learned them little by little. I actually had "song" projects that were more about learning how to use certain functions than they were about the song itself, such as track automations and audio editing. Basically, I figured out a way to keep the learning process fun and interesting instead of it being something that got in the way of stuff I was actually working on.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  8. LutherBurger

Sorry to hear about your condition.

If that's all you need to do, go ahead and plug the computer speakers into the headphone jack. Tame the room reflections as best you can, use a cardioid or supercardioid mic, and put the speakers behind it.

9. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

That's what we did a couple months ago and it worked really well... I just need the 3.5 mm to 1/4" headphone adapter to make it happen at home. It's on order!

Thanks guys, I'm sure that I'll have tons more questions coming up. I'm intimidated by the tech, but also really excited about figuring it out...

LutherBurger and Rob L like this.
  10. Rob L

Rob L Tele-Meister

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I always had my friend who knew this stuff in and out. He could add drums, horns, strings, whatever digitally if need be.
    Now we're no longer friends and I have to learn this stuff. I have a Scarlett 2i2 (not sure what gen), some mics, cables, a mixer, sound proofing tiles and I'm using N-Tracks and some I have some other free DAWS as well. I can't afford the real good ones.
    It's all sitting in boxes. Don't even know where to start!.

I'm gonna watch this thread carefully.;)

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Telecaster88 likes this.
  11. Frodebro

Don't be-it's only going to be as complicated as you want it to be. At the very basic level it comes down to selecting the track you want to record on (one click), arming the track (one click), setting the recording level (moving a virtual slider or knob), and hitting record (one click). That's all there is to it.

From there you can move on to learning how to use compressor and EQ plugins, then setting up a reverb bus, and before you know it you're a "power user".

12. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

my 3 cents, great advice directly above as well.

start with 1 track at a time, not a multi track session. This is a learning session, not a recording session.

DO not try to learn and track a song at the same time. Remember, in school we read the book BEFORE we took the test. Doctors went to MED School BEFORE they operated ! first things first. Learn how to drive in 1 st gear, then add 2d 3rd, 4th 5th later...

Most beginner DAW users get all caught up in trying to do everything all at the same time. BIG MISTAKE.

Learn how to build a DAW session for 1 track. Also add a Master volume if its an option. set the INPUT and OUTPUT for the session track. This can be done globally later for multiple tracks The Master Volume Output will also need to be set to the Scarlett.

Your Scarlett, as stated above, is NOW the PC audio device. Music IN, Music OUT . Use the phones out on the Scarlett

Plug your guitar into the Scarlett input, 1 or 2... set the DAW track input to 1 or 2 ( the same one ). Set the DAW to monitor the input , theres a meter.

Start strumming your guitar, set the Scarlett input level , watch the DAW track meter , it should go UP and DOWN !

NOTE: All input volume levels are set at the Scarlett, the DAW just sees it and tells you if its too high or too low by the meter. The volume slider on the DAW track is NOT for setting the input volume, its by default for monitoring the output signal. The input level by default is the Scarlett. This can be and is confusing at first. Its best , my opinion, , to allow the Scarlet to set the Input levels and allow the DAW to set the OUTPUT levels. Some DAWS may allow for changing this .

hit the record button on the DAW, strum the guitar, make noise...you should see the recording envelope on the PC monitor screen moving to the right

stop recording. hit playback . you should hear your recorded noise in the phones. You may have to adjust both the track volume and the Master Volume on the DAW session. DAWS have a separate MIX screen as well but this can be done from the primary screen as well.

repeat this process over and over until you hear a nice clean signal and take note of the Scarlett input levels. In fact start a notebook, take notes. create your own manual/book.

I can't speak for others, but I have tracking sheets and notes for every song I have ever tracked

Now add some DAW reverb or delay in the effects bin.

keep experimenting.

remember this, go slow , simple. What you are doing 1 track at a time is exactly the same for multiple tracks.

Also keep in mind, when you build a DAW session, save it as a Template. When using the template for a song session, SAVE AS just like MS word, you don't need to build a new DAW session each time you start. Use the same one, or have a few different ones. Everything is saved and preset, IN, OUTS, tracks, effects etc...Most DAW users have several TEMPLATE sessions ready to go.

One very advanced feature for later, just to clarify how powerful your DAW is. as you are messing with effects, and modifying them to your own taste, SAVE AS , whatever edit you made is now available for another session, the original is in tact. The effects that are included in your DAW are starting points , intended to be edited and SAVED AS...

have fun but take your time...1 track at a time !

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  13. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Plugging your speakers into the Focusrite is the way to go.
    However there is an alternative :
    There's a wonderful bit of software called Voicemeeter that lets you futz about with all the sound IO on your PC. You could rig that up to do what you need

Telecaster88 likes this.
  14. RhythmFender

RhythmFender Tele-Meister

Following this thread. Gonna plug my new interface into my Apple desktop for the first time this week and this is great info. I love this forum. You all are great!

Telecaster88 likes this.
  15. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I've been home recording for about 25 years and still get bogged down in the complexity of it all sometimes. I've dealt with that recently by:

a) Leaving everything always up and running

b) Having enough mixer channels so I don't have to swap things in and out. I may have overdone that a little, I have a Behringer XR-18 but at least I know that guitar is always on channel 7.

c) Switching to Ableton Live from SONAR. Being able to work on sections individually and then put them together easily was a big step in the right direction. Sometimes I have to rerecord parts once the arrangement is put together, but since I'm writing original material, things change a lot before I really settle down with what it should be. Doing this in SONAR, well, NOT doing that, because SONAR doesn't really lend itself to that, resulted in a lot of unfinished projects.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  16. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

My crucial adapter arrived already from Sweetwater (Ordered yesterday!)… It's de-Virafying in the front hall for a couple days. Meaning I'll have a bunch more dumb questions for you guys then... And like @RhythmFender said above, you guys are great! In the crazy internet world we live it, this place is a refuge. Thanks.

17. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

In business we always say..

"Don't confuse complexity with flexibility".

DAWS can be run in the most simplistic mode, should we desire !:)

Digital Larry and suthol like this.
  18. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

All you’ll ever need:
    PC or Mac, audio interface (mine’s a Focusrite), pair of powered monitors (Yamaha HS50 here), 1/4” cables to connect monitors to interface, mics (take your pick, mic cable and your DAW software.
    The DAW software requires you to select your default I/O device. In my setup it’s the Focusrite and it then looks to see if it’s connected each time you open the software. (The caution is not to make your interface the default I/O for your pc or mac’s other functions).
    OP you’re not alone in feeling intimidated by the technology when you first get started. Almost everyone is to some degree. It’s a learning process But you’ll get there.
    9BDB90F9-68B0-47D8-9997-8DD076743D4F.jpeg

Telecaster88 likes this.
  19. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

OKAY! DAY TWO PROBLEMS:

As per the discussion above, I have my external laptop speakers, which I'm using as monitors for now, plugged into the Focusrite via the headphones output.

I have the Focusrite connected to Studio One, selected it as default recording/playback device. Connected mic to Focusrite Channel One, Focusrite is plugged via USB to laptop. Input set to "instrument." Phantom power on. Mic cable is a XLR to TRS. Currently, monitor, gain, and headphones knobs are at zero ---

But when I turn the speakers volume up anywhere north of "zero" I just get a brutal hiss/hum coming from them. Changing the Focusrite knobs does nothing to alleviate the hum. There's no audio input from the mic showing in DAW.

HALP! THANK YOU!

UPDATE: Switched mic cord to XLR to XLR, and now am getting a signal through DAW, but still no sound coming through speakers.

UPDATE 2: Unplugged speakers into headphone jack and replugged, and lo and behold, speaker output!

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  20. LutherBurger

I don't know whether this will help, but the input should be "microphone", not "instrument". And if the mic isn't a condenser, turn the phantom power off.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.