Home practice solution needed

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by dcupright, Sep 19, 2021.

1. dcupright

dcupright TDPRI Member

I am looking for recommendations for a small modeling combo or better yet a preamp/ pedal type deal that will do guitar cleans and I can plug a bass and sound decent into that can be plugged into a mixer. Would prefer not to go software route.

It does not need a speaker although that is fine as long as I can mute it and run into a mixer as it will be for headphone only home practice. Would like to stay under500 bucks if I can and still get a decent sound. using a Fishman now and it works ok but looking for a better solution

thanks

2. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Afflicted

Joyo America Sound $40.

VintageSG likes this.
  3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

upload_2021-9-19_15-3-45.jpeg
    OK, it's not a Marshall Stack. But it sounds better than my actual practice amp and it's got a line out. I've thought about recording a few test tracks. I play bass and guitar through it.

unixfish, GeneB and Tim S like this.
  4. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

Cheap: tech21 character series. They’re worth it over the joyo (too many corners cut on the joyo board - cheap opamps, no film caps anywhere, noisy power section, etc.). I like the blonde.

Not cheap: iridium is great. sounds and feels real. amplifire stuff also sounds good, but doesn’t feel so real.

RomanS and Timbresmith1 like this.
  5. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Joyo American Sound. The Harley Benton American Tru Tone is the same pedal.

6. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

You might like the Torpedo Cab M+

or the Shift-Line Twin

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  7. eclipse

eclipse Tele-Meister

I've been looking for one of these. Well below you budget, though I don't know about bass. It does have a pedal platform setting that by passes the cab sim. Active tone stack.
    Actually I haven't been able to find any reviews and I might just have to take a chance and order it online. I have seen it for around £125 here in the UK.
    Nice features, direct out, headphone out and aux in. Would be good to be able to use my pedal board for play along and practice.

https://www.foxgeardistribution.com/product/jeenie/

8. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

They’re practically free on eBay and Reverb.

Peegoo and Timbresmith1 like this.
  9. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

Yep. Enough in there to tweak to alleviate boredom, too.

Deeve likes this.
  10. dcupright

dcupright TDPRI Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions, doing research on everything suggested so far.

11. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted

They’re practically free on eBay and Reverb.[/QUOTE]
    I had an original POD, and upgraded to the POD XT years ago.
    Used it for about 8 years into the top of a Fender Blues Deluxe to do 4 worship services a weekend. Brutal schedule by anybody's lights.
    Solid, dependable, and no prissy tapdancing around a pedalboard.
    No futzing with computer interfaces and apps.
    Runs on AC power so no batteries to leave you high and dry.
    Not to mention easy to use:
    • Build patches at home
    • Select patches in live performance by simply turning knob
    • Go from heavenly clean to metal mayhem in less time than it takes to talk about it
    All the cork sniffers with pedalboards and tube amps who get their picks made in the Custom Shop probably think that sucks, but I'd like to see them corner on a dime like that. Not to mention the thousands they have invested in battery-powered toys.

AND THEY MAKE A BASS POD TOO!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Peegoo, fretWalkr and Deeve like this.
  12. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

13. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I really like the Boss GT-1 used for about $100. It’s a lot of things - pretty good sounding amp modeler, better effects modeler into a real amp, silent practice rig, usb interface. Runs forever on a set of AA batteries and is quite easy to move around in a backpack or even a big gig bag pocket.

The Helix series generally sound a little better but they’re not $100 and not nearly as convenient. It sounds much better than the older Pods, to my ears.

90% of my use is as convenient, good sounding comp+reverb in any situation where it would be silly to drag my pedalboard. Its spring reverb model is as good as any pedal I’ve heard save the Topanga.

14. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

OK, I'll bring this one up: The Positive Grid Spark. I know, a lot of folks have issues with PG, but I picked one of these up a while back and as a practice amp, it's very good. The amp sounds good and with the tablet/phone app, you have access to a ton of tones, all very tweakable. It's very easy to use and you have to spend a lot of time figuring it out and finding tones. You can also use it as a recording interface, but I haven't explored that aspect yet.

It also has wi-fi and you can play backing tracks on it or stream music. I've used it to play demos sent to me by friends to practice and come up with parts, experimenting with different tones and whatnot. I know they were pretty hyped, but it's a very useful piece of gear. For the price - I paid $239 with a gig bag included - it's hard to beat. A comparable amp would be a Yamaha THR. A friend has one of them and I think the Spark sounds better and is easier to dial in.

Now, I know there are a lot of folks online complaining about issues with the amp and PG's customer service. Haven't experienced those issues myself.

OmegaWoods likes this.
  15. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

FWIW, the Spark 40 does not have WiFi. It has BlueTooth so the app can send data to it and use it as a BlueTooth speaker.

16. Mojohand40

Mojohand40 Tele-Afflicted

Yamaha THR ii 10. Amazing sound; has digital interface for recording. Never played bass through it; but there is a bass setting.
    This has been probably my best gear purchase in years. For me a game changer for home practice/recording.

17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I have several small amp solutions that I've used and some I still use a lot. In my home office environment, I usually will plug into a small mixer for headphone, PA and recording output. When traveling, I use a Vox Mini 3.

Right now, when I don't want to use a tube amp, I use a Hotone Binary Amp. I sometimes use it with its companion IR Cab pedal but the built-in (unchangeable) IRs are pretty good for standalone use. My favorite model is the Matchless Chieftain. It has an effects loop which is handy if you want to use a reverb pedal along with it. It does not have a headphone out although the IR Cab does. The availability of this pedal is low for some reason but, if you look around, you can find them discounted under $100.

As I mentioned, when traveling I use a Vox Mini 3. The built-in models are pretty good, although limited a bit by the tiny speaker. I can also use it with the Binary Amp or other devices since it has a nice line in as well. It is battery powered so I can take it along to the office and play it out in the parking lot during lunch.

I also have several Hotone Nano heads that I also like, especially the Mojo Diamond which is a tweed Deluxe model. I like how they sound going into a cab or acting as a pre-amp for my Peavey Bandit but their headphone out isn't as good.

Another pedal I have is a Tech 21 Sansamp GT2 that I bought way back in the 90's. I often used it as a pre-amp for the Bandit. It doesn't have a headphone out so you'll need something that it can plug into to fulfill that role. Behringer makes two versions of this pedal that you can find very cheap. One has a headphone out and the other doesn't. They also made an amp, the GM108, that had this circuit built into the amp. While its been discontinued for years, I have seen them around very cheap, like $20 or so. I have one that's kind of a backup to the Vox Mini and to use as a repair bench amp.

I had a POD and its Behringer copy. Both of them broke. If you get one, be careful not to wrap your foot around the cable and yank them off onto the floor or trip over and stomp them. Sound-wise, they're pretty good although I think newer units that use IR technology sound noticeably better.

18. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Quilter Superblock US or Interblock are in the $275 range new. There is one for bass too.

OmegaWoods and Happy Enchilada like this.
  19. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

My bad. I'm an old analog guy who gets confused sometimes. Now, I have to go outside and yell at those damn kids to get off of my lawn.

20. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Holic

+1 on the spark although if I had it to do over again, I would get a quilter block as @gkterry recommended.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.