Home made eyelet tool

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mr. Freddy, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Mr. Freddy

Mr. Freddy TDPRI Member

I am betting this has already been done here, as I did a search when I thought of this but could not find any specific posts. Anyway, here is what I did in case it is useful to anyone thinking of doing this. I just had my first child (Maggie) a few weeks back, so for the next 18 or so years all extra funds will be diverted to the poo machine. That means no stew mac unless absolutely necessary, and all my change will go towards the woodpile. Anyway, here is is:

Handle is scrap maple. I made the nub by taking off the head of a nail, then put the nail in a vice with a hacksaw blade's width protruding. I then went around the end of the nail with the hacksaw using the vise as a guide. Used a file to clean it up. I drilled a hole and threaded a bolt in, and did the same for the nub, along with a little superglue. Gave it some fancy finger holds with my ROSS and a light sand. I may finish it with some lacquer but then again I might not since it is done and works perfectly. The nail is 1/8" and sets the eyelet right under the surface so the wire won't get caught.

Cheers-Mr. Freddy

Attached Files:

2. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Nice - I'll have to make one. Thanks

3. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

I just bought a set of these from HF for $10 for the same reason.

[​IMG]

4. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

That's all fine and dandy if you live in the States. frickin Canada needs to get HF.

5. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

OK - now I need to buy a set of those. Thanks a lot Sheperd! :rolleyes:

Sorry Mr Freddy - I really did like your idea. :D

6. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Dang! I've already got a set of those, but it never occurred to me to use them for setting eyelets.

Anyway, great idea Mr. Freddy. If someone wants only to set eyelets, and does not want or need a set of transfer punches, your setting punch is a great idea.

7. Mr. Freddy

Mr. Freddy TDPRI Member

Those are a good buy, very useful tools as well, I do see a set in my future. Just looking at it from the standpoint of free materials, little time invested, solving a problem for immediate use (as I must save up my patience for sanding), and the pleasure of making something yourself just like our predecessors had to do really drives me. Feels like it brings me closer to my work and I really just love making things that I could buy. Plus, when people say "where did you buy this piece of junk?!" I get to proudly say "I made that piece of junk!".

HF is truly an awesome (and dangerous) place, I have walked in more than once for a $2 bit and walked out with $100 in deals I could not pass up!

8. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Well I dont live in the States and I'm sure HF isnt the only business on the planet that sells cheap tools.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.