1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Home from Japan and laying out the mothership board..

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 4pickupguy, Apr 18, 2021.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Got home, spent the day with my wife. It was so fun. I was jet lagged in the wee hours of the morning and played around with Wet/Dry\Wet mothership board layouts. It was like Christmas!

Down in the lower decks are the set-and-forgetters and power supplies. It’s gonna be tricky getting it to fit.
    76F734FB-8E4D-4863-8F68-8ACACE4494F8.jpeg

The upper lays out pretty much like the peddle board planner said it would. I have to complete a guitar for a friend before I tackle this and there 15 months of honeydews awaiting me. Can’t wait to hook it up and start rehearsing though!!! I have 5 weeks off! Let the fun begin!
    4FC0DB46-9322-4882-A947-237258549758.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Welcome back!

bluesholyman and 4pickupguy like this.
  3. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

Ground control to Major 4pickupguy...

bluesholyman, 4pickupguy and tintag27 like this.
  4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

That’s a nice setup. I like the Cali and the Ethos, plus a Blues Driver for the common man. (I love the BD-2)

4pickupguy likes this.
  5. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Where’s all the Japanese pedals you collected while over there?

4pickupguy and northernguitar like this.
  6. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Welcome home to Texas.
    Ah, yes, Texas. One of the few places that a Tennessee boy can feel at home. Come back when you can stay longer.

4pickupguy likes this.
  7. 4pickupguy

Actually, it was Korean pedals and Japanese guitars...
    069E08EE-76B0-4BBE-8193-C195759B9B9E.jpeg

8. Mark617

Mark617 Tele-Meister

I have the EP as well. It’s a nice subtle boost for that needed push

4pickupguy likes this.
  9. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Welcome back!! Like the board. Needs more fuzz...

4pickupguy likes this.
  10. 4pickupguy

There are two on the board now. The Pedal Pawn Fuzz and that Green thing next to it is Moollon British Octah (Octavio style pedal). Those will both be replaced by other Moollons. A Fuzz 14 MkII and a Lotus Octah (Octavia style pedal) They are both in a crate on the way home from Japan. I’m no fuzz expert yet but so far those two are miles above everything else I own. Every component spec’d, hand wound transformers etc,.. Joon Park is known for being such a perfectionist he’s rumored to be hard to work for. Whatever he does, these are just way better sounding than my others..
    2F792A3D-4FCE-4305-A7BC-1BCF0C7809E2.jpeg 3A4505E3-1291-46A8-B119-BA3A433BC9E9.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Fretting out and bluesholyman like this.
  11. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

Why the 2 ethos pedals and what makes them different?

I know the big one has a dumble thing going....

12. 4pickupguy

You’re right, the big one is a Dumble type thing and the smaller one is voiced after the Trainwreck amp heads. They were supposed to be very open and responsive amps. I have and probably never will hear a Trainwreck amp, but I sure liked the way the pedal sounded when Shawn Stubbs demoed it in a video a few years back. The big Ethos is being used as the pre-amp for the wet side of things and I’m only using the clean channel. It’s clean tone is not unlike my Deluxe.

Newbcaster likes this.
  13. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Welcome back! My Brother in law used to make that trip a lot, when he was in sales, and it's not an easy flight. It usually wiped him out for a couple days after he got home. Glad you're getting some R&R! Cool setup btw ;)

4pickupguy likes this.
  14. Gevalt

Gevalt Tele-Meister

4pickupguy likes this.
  15. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Wait...that Strat looks like it's missing a pickup (for your specific purposes)! :)

bluesholyman and Fretting out like this.
  16. 4pickupguy

Ya know, ya say that....
    B0B27FD1-4BA4-4BBA-A6FB-9616A9F4F012.jpeg This was also waiting on me...
    It’s all the parts to recreate a guitar that I built in 87’ (Becky) and gigged with for 13 about years. She will be set up much like Becky with two exceptions. Becky had a Les Paul stop tail piece/bridge, this one will have a vintage style tremolo bridge. Becky’s finish was all but gone, this finish remains shiney shoreline gold.. She will be set up like this:
    2ADA8C21-F2BD-499C-823F-3EED6EBBB42D.jpeg

Lies&Distortion and 11 Gauge like this.
  17. 4pickupguy

Ok, took a solid week for me to wire this bad boy up. I had to order another Distributor from GigRig which added a two day waiting period. I also had to update the firmware on the PlethoraX5 as I had ordered it over a year ago and it was three versions behind. Much tweaking to do. Some tidying to do still. Half these pedals are completely new to me and I’m just running the switcher in manual mode on a single template. Not much time at the helm but here are some first impressions:

1. My God Wet/Dry\Wet sounds amazing!!! Not even sure what to write here to describe it, so I wont....
    2. The GigRig modular power supply is dead quiet. There is a barely audible hiss from the amps. The Timelord isolator is not enough miliamps for the PlethoraX5 as they suggested and I am going to have shoehorn the wall wart into the board for now.
    3. The PlethoraX5 has a LOOONG “audio dead” pause between board changes, this is disappointing but wont be a problem for me as I wont be bouncing between entire boards because I will never use five of anything on a song. If I were, this would be a non-starter for me and I would be looking for something else. Com’on TC!! Do better! That said the PlethoraX5 sounds very good.
    4. The Schmidt Array boards look like they have a ton of depth to them because of the way the shelf articulates. I had to arrange even cables to clear the items on the lower shelf. There is about 3/8th” (.375”) between a Boss pedal and the upper shelf. Very impressed with it though.
    5. The TWE-1 takes a bit to figure out its eq/tone settings but it’s extremely tweakable to any amp, and its a beast. Best MIAB (sorry, never heard a Trainwreck amp but this thing is straight up Marshall) I have heard yet. It takes a minute to get a tone though.
    6. First most pleasant surprise is the gain stages and Cali 76. I know it looks like a lot of dirt but it works like this. The Moollon Lotus Octah (Octavia) and Fuzz Face (Pedal Pawn Fuzz) are the Hendrix/Specialty section and are only used on a few tunes. There are 3 OD pedal stages Low, Crunch, Lead. Running these in to the Cali 76 set to parallel compression allows for far, far less gain and restores the guitars tone and articulation. Cleaner with all the tone in tact but all the sustain of a loud amp. This works better than I had hoped. It is as close to that Dumble thing as I have ever achieved. Play quietly its clean and still very audible, dig in and it gets angrier. A very articulate and fun playing experience. The Rattler sounds epic like this!! The EP-Boost is for hitting the front of the ODs. Now any of the stages is a lead tone with varying levels of clean.

This is most likely my last rig and I am thrilled with it so far. Lots of learning to do though.
    72D70809-82B3-4839-BE71-9A54FE9D8CDF.jpeg

I’ll cinch all the tywraps down and tidy things up as I finalize things.
    724BB1B3-33F9-40A7-9B81-6F50C536C16E.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    Lies&Distortion and BorderRadio like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.