Home amp? Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jjlikesguitar, Nov 21, 2012.

1. jjlikesguitar

jjlikesguitar Tele-Meister

Hi, JJ here needs your advice... I play guitar at home only and am looking for a nice, good sounding amp to use in my study room. It shouldn't be too loud with the wife and my newborn baby girl and all, you get the idea ;-) I play classic and modern rock, blues, alternative, etc. and play Strat, Tele and LP.

I have owned a Fender G-DEC3 Thirty that I sold because of its complexity. My next amp should be easy to use. Also, I found it was not very pedal friendly. Used to have the G-DEC on the Tweed Drive setting with no reverb or compression going on, letting my pedals take care of the rest.

By the way, I use a Bad Monkey, Boss FZ5 Fuzz and an iStomp running delay or tremolo depending on my mood/needs. Nice and simple.

Before the G-DEC I had a Vibro Champ XD that I absolutely loved, but it was too loud to play at home and had no headphone out and aux in. I like jamming to my Spotify playlists n my iPhone.
    I also own a Vox DA5 that I'm keeping for sentimental reasons, and a Vox Amplug for late night jamming.

Right now I'm thinkng of buying a new amp, but I'm not sure whether to go for a low wattage valve amp or another solid state/modelling combo? I think that latter would be quite convenient for a guy like me, but I have found a lot of these amps sounded a little uninspiring. I'm looking to spend no more than $ 400.

So in short, looking for:
    Low wattage valve amp or SS/modelling
    Should sound great at low volume
    Ease of use, love knobbies
    Pedalfriendly
    Inspiring tone

Please help!

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Look at a Roland Cube 40xl; http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/roland-cube-40xl-40w-1x10-guitar-combo-amp. $249 USD or less here but I don't know what they'd go for in Europe.

40w SS, w/1x10" in a closed back cab, amp modeling, on board effects, reverb and/or delay, an 80 second looper, JC Clean and modeled Lead channels w/solo functions for each. Headphone/recording out and aux. input. It even has a 2w power output setting for quiet running as an in home practice amp but when you want to crank it up it can get quite loud.

I bought one of these about a year ago after recording with a 30w version in a friends studio and IMHO it's seriously one of the best bargains out there as far as it's features and sound are concerned. They're a blast to play through and have become pretty popular as an in home or studio amp.

Mine takes pedals well and I've used it in rehearsals, in the studio (it's very quiet) and smaller gigs as a stand alone amp. It's the most versatile amp I've ever owned and it sounds great at any volume level. It's not a tube amp but it does a nice job of modeling quite a few (Fender Twin and Tweed Bassman, Vox, Marshall, Mesa Boogie, EVH 5150, and a nice acoustic simulator) and the JC Clean is a version of the Roland JC120.

Based on your description of what you're looking for I'd certainly take the time to check one out. I wouldn't part with mine for anything else in this category.

3. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If you have to have a headphone out, you are pretty much consigned to the uninspiring
    SS or modeling amp that might have a tube but is far from a tube amp.

Get something cheap you can live with until your baby gets a little older.

4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

You've mentioned owning Fender and Vox gear, so I'm assuming that availability of products in these brands is not a problem. Your stated budget was $400, and I'm assuming that you are referring to US dollars, not Euros.

I'd say get a Vox. Now I know you talked about a low watt valve amp, so some might think of a Vox AC4TV. A small tube (valve) combo (1-12AX7 preamp, 1-EL84 power) with a 10" Celestion speaker, low wattage (4 watts RMS into 16 ohms w/ an attenuator to bring that down to 1 watt or even 1/4 watt), and an external speaker out (4 watts RMS into 16 ohms). $249.

That certainly is one way to go, but I personally like the Vox Pathfinder 15R better than the AC4TV. I currently have two PF15Rs, and will probably get another just to be sure I always have this little beauty in my sonic arsenal. I think it's that good. Yes, it's SS, but it's really warm. It has Tremolo and Reverb. 15 watts and a nice bedroom type amp. I often play through it at low volumes after the wife is asleep. 1x8" Vox Bulldog speaker, but that 8" speaker can fool ya. It can get loud. I use this for small gigs, and I've even linked two of them together (via an ABY box) for larger gigs. On the rear panel, it has jacks for headphones, an extension speaker (8 ohms, 15 watts), a line output and a footswitch jack. Overall, a very warm tube-like tone from a simple but versatile little combo. $119. Optional 2-button footswitch, $26.

If you decide to go with a SS modeling combo, I'd say a Fender Mustang amp. Built in amp models and effects. I've done a test drive of Mustangs I-III, and a good friend has a Mustang I for his lake house and for small gigs. The tone of the amp is inspiring, to my ear. And the amp model emulations are good, especially the Fender models ('57 Deluxe, '59 Bassman & '65 Twin Reverb). Inputs for footswitch, phones and aux jacks (both 1/8" input) and USB. Down side for me is the learning curve; unless you're intuitive about today's technology (and I'm an old fool from the old school), it's a complex little amp. Mustang I, 1x8", 20 watts, $110. Mustang II, 1x12", 40 watts, $200.

5. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

Find a used Super Champ XD. Simple operation, great amp modeling, tube, in your price range. It's a less complicated, more reliable amp than a Mustang. I played through a Mustang one night and it was a nightmare of glitches (although I realize I could've been playing through a lemon. I don't know if all Mustang's have that problem).

I've never run pedals through my XD (there's no need to), so I don't know if it takes pedals well.

G'luk!

6. Jaybird

Jaybird Tele-Meister

7. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

garage band on an iPod

8. MatthewDickin

MatthewDickin Tele-Afflicted

Blackstar HT1?

9. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Might be time to go light strummed acoustic or headphones amp if the vibrochamp was too loud to play at home

10. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

mustang 11 sounds good,but for me is too darn complicated.I'm not familiar with all the
    modern techno gadgets,and this thing drove me nuts! The fender models are darned good,
    but again,I can't seem to get them without other intrusions/additional sounds.push one
    wrong button,and fugedaboutit!

11. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

Vox Pathfinder? Gets rave reviews on here.

12. Robster

Robster Tele-Holic

You already have the right amp for this type of playing. The DA5. It has 3 power levels and a headphone in plus an aux channel input and volume control for your MP3.

13. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

Princeton Recording Amp... Awesome bedroom amp.

14. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

For Classic Rock..... Marshall Class 5

15. jkrischan

jkrischan Tele-Afflicted

5F1 champ clone, easy to use and oh so good. You should be able to grab one on eBay used in your price range.

16. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

I have the Mustang 1, great sounds, crappy interface.
    Cubes are great, not as many good sounds at the Mustang, but the JC is great, and the others are acceptable. Knobs, much friendlier to use.
    I havn't tried the Vox offerings, but I plugged into a little Orange SS at the store that sounded really good.
    I think it was this one
    [​IMG]

17. adifferentbreed

adifferentbreed Tele-Afflicted

If you have a DA 5, sounds like you have what you need already. Might I suggest if you need another a Fender Frontman 25. Headphone input, aux inputs, decent reverb and you can get a little loud when home alone. Fits well within your budget with money left over for other trinkets.

18. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A Pro Junior might be something to look at, considering you didn't use reverb in your other amp. Two knobs (volume & tone), sounds great IMO at low volume and can scream loud & dirty, when the wife has the baby out for a stroll at the park :D

Very small as well, and good with pedals (I usually just use a delay, chorus, or no pedals for my home playing).

They go for $200-$250 used here. Got mine (USA 2000 model) for $225 a few months back with a new George L cable tossed in, and I just saw another nice USA-made one sell for $180 on ebay a couple days ago. It was sitting at $135 until the last minute, then bid up.

+1 on the Frontman 25R as well. Great clean Fender tone, very nice reverb, and you can record from the headphone jack straight to a digital device. Only $99 or less new.

19. swamper95

swamper95 TDPRI Member

My vote goes to th Vox lil' night train with the 12" vox celestion speaker cab.
    This is a beautifull sounding head and cab. After owning for 12 months i cant
    rave about thish amp enough. The head also has a headphone jack that is very handy
    This little baby sounds and looks the goods!!

20. unspun

unspun TDPRI Member

I picked up a Bugera V5 from ebay that was $150 shipped and was and am really pleased with it. Not sure if anyone else has tried one of these but I am happy with it.

I just checked and they have gone up to $199 it seems

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.